Move from new to existing devs

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
Hi.

I just noticed several projects that are completed are listed as "new" developments. Does admin change their categories?

We can change them but I think last time I did people got up in a stink about not finding the threads where they used to be. Give me a list and I'll move them. I'll see if I can leave a redirect up so that people don't get confused.

If the new development section were to be exclusively for new/active developments then Van is going to have one hell of a project on his hands moving threads, because easily two thirds of that section is completed stuff.

Anything that's up and open I am moving over to Existing Dev. I'll leave a permanent redirect so you can still find a link in New Dev.

Do you think we should maybe have another category to differentiate between project threads and general Boston urbanism/ architecture related stuff? I always meant to change the name of the Existing Development forum but it's been there so long I didn't want to create confusion. It's really more a Boston Urbanism/Architecture forum, and development threads really don't belong there. Maybe a single Development forum rather than New or Existing would be better, where the project's status is stated in the thread topic as they do it on some of the skyscraper forums?

I think there should be a certain amount of time that a project remains in new development even after its been completed. Maybe a year or so.

Do you think we should maybe have another category to differentiate between project threads and general Boston urbanism/ architecture related stuff? I always meant to change the name of the Existing Development forum but it's been there so long I didn't want to create confusion. It's really more a Boston Urbanism/Architecture forum, and development threads really don't belong there. Maybe a single Development forum rather than New or Existing would be better, where the project's status is stated in the thread topic as they do it on some of the skyscraper forums?

Maybe an Architecture thread and a Development thread?

The problem is that "new" is a relative term.

I think you guys are on the right track. The problem then becomes what do we call the "other" (non-developments) forum...it's about Boston, it covers architecture, planning, real estate news and has lots of photos. Maybe something like Boston Urbanism and Photos while the main one could be Boston Developments....?

Boston's Built Environment
-Proposed / Under Construction
-Existing / Completed Construction
-Photography and General Urbanism (new retail thread, public garden renovation, etc)
-Transit and Infrastructure
-Design a Better Boston
-Architecture / Urbanism Related Events
Outside of Boston Metro
-Greater Portland Development
-Greater Providence Development
-Greater Worcester Development (maybe?)
-Merrimack Valley Development (maybe?)
-Other New England Development
-General Architecture & Urban Planning

My 2 cents. I think with this organization the time to move from "new" to "existing" would be when the building opens for occupancy, even if there are still a few floors to fit out.

I don't see why we need to break up developments between new and existing, and the idea of moving a thread the second the building is occupied to the not new section seems arbitrary, especially when most of us think of a building as new for at least a year or five after it's been done, not to mention pictures of new scenes the building creates will trickle in for years to come.

I say just throw all the developments into one section and let stuff recede to the back pages if there's no news. And then when there is news the thread's already right where it needs to be.

Ill just go on record saying I completely support davem's structure for the Boston portion. There needs to be organization at minimum between proposed/UC and completed/existing. I would argue to go even further and break up proposed developments, U/C, completed (last 10 years), and existing (anything older than 10 years).

Finding threads on here is an absolute nightmare and people regularly can't remember if certain projects are proposed, U/C, or finished. This would really help the forum flow.

I'd even be willing to help out with the sorting. I've got experience admin'ing vB.

We also need to work on a standard "first post" for all new developments that keeps an up-to-date list of key statistics (program, size, height, floors, retail, PNF/NPC links) and renders. This requires the more members of the community to actually be involved and engaged. I think we definitely have people here with enough passion to help in this effort. Heck, I'm pretty sure DZH can tell you the height of any building built in the world in the last 10 years. I'd propose that a limited moderator team (named "info ambassadors" or something) should be created to regularly edit first/data posts to keep them up to date. I think this board could go from good to great with the community involved in a group effort to document Boston's development scene.

Finding threads on here is an absolute nightmare and people regularly can't remember if certain projects are proposed, U/C, or finished.

But how would splitting things up into 3+ categories make it easier to figure out if something's proposed or U/C or finished? I think the real problem here is how shitty vB's search function is. I learned long ago to skip it altogether and just use Google.

For instance, if I'm trying to find the Dana Farber thread I'll just type "dana farber site:www.archboston.org" into Google and bam! there it is.

So Van, when can we get things sorted out? It makes no sense why the Kensington or Liberty Mutual projects, both of which are BRAND SPANKING NEW projects, are now in the Existing forum while there's literally hundreds of completed projects sitting buried in the New forum.

Can we at least wait for a project to settle into its setting for a bit before we move it? Or better yet, can I get moderator access and make some sense of this mess?

So Van, when can we get things sorted out? It makes no sense why the Kensington or Liberty Mutual projects, both of which are BRAND SPANKING NEW projects, are now in the Existing forum while there's literally hundreds of completed projects sitting buried in the New forum.

Can we at least wait for a project to settle into its setting for a bit before we move it? Or better yet, can I get moderator access and make some sense of this mess?

I agree. Projects like the Claredon and 45 province should just be moving to existing devs now.

I sill think the "New" "Existing" is arbitrary and should be changed... "Proposed/Under Construction" and "Completed Architecture" might be better distinctions.

I think the RKG thread needs to be moved to the existing development section.

So vanshnookenraggen, you wanna wake the fuck up and maybe have a conversation about where stuff belongs? Like I said, considering the base of the Kensington was JUST BARELY FINISHED and it's not even opened up I think it's stupid for it to be in the existing section. Come on dude, don't be a lazy bastard.

PS I'm not going to shut up until some sense is made of this.

I'm going to rename the "New Development" forum to simply "Development" and it will contain all the project threads. I'll add a status designation to end of each thread title in brackets will specify the project's phase of development ([proposed], [under construction], [completed] [cancelled]). The "existing Development" forum will be renamed something like "Boston Architecture and Urbanism" but will otherwise remain unchanged.

Does anyone have any reason why this should not be done or any thoughts on this?

That sounds perfect as long as admin/mod doesn't mind changing the [brackets] from time to time.

Back