Name these US Airports from above

This would be Bozeman / Yellowstone airport in Montana.

If we think PWM has grown a lot in the past few years....BZN has exploded. Its annual passenger numbers have almost doubled in a few years and it now has seasonal service to multiple east coast cities.

The vast majority of BZN's growth has been fueled by leisure travel, but BZN has a bit more "year round" tourism appeal than Portland (particularly as a gateway for winter skiing)

You would be correct on this one! This is my hometown airport. Bozeman has a population just under 15% that of the Portland metro area yet last year total passengers served just exceeded PWM at 2.26 million. For a city of it's size it probably has the best air service in the country if you can get a seat because flights are almost always full which makes it difficult for myself sometimes because though I fly for free I fly on standby.

Outdoor recreation/tourism drives the growth of Bozeman and the airport is the main stepping off point for Yellowstone Park. BZN puts PWM to shame when it comes to amenities on site. Every time I go home I am in awe of how much the airport has changed as it is under constant construction as is the entire Bozeman region. It is no longer the beautiful small town I grew up in. The local university (Montana State - Go Cats!) also makes USM look like a high school.

You are correct, the Bozeman/Yellowstone area is booming! The only other small city that stands out when it comes to above and beyond airline service would probably be Key West with a population of only 26K and 1.3M enplanements with a 5076' runway. Billings (state's biggest city) is now Montana's third busiest airport after being passed by Missoula, go figure!

Last edited:
airport.jpg

This one might be an easy one for the regulars here. But it has some similarities to PWM in terms of layout and passenger totals.
This airport's address is in a city that is not either of the cities that the airport is named after.
The center gardens are a unique touch!

Image 8-3-23 at 7.39 AM.jpg
Image 8-3-23 at 7.35 AM.jpg

This previously underserved market is now on top of the world with a new airline that has chosen the airport as one of it's six hubs. The current cramped and outdated terminal will be replaced with a modern one but it will not be built by the group of carpenters that once called this city home.

This would be Tweed-New Haven (HVN) The new home of Avelo Airlines which is apparently doing very well at HVN.

This one might be an easy one for the regulars here. But it has some similarities to PWM in terms of layout and passenger totals.
This airport's address is in a city that is not either of the cities that the airport is named after.
The center gardens are a unique touch!

Love the clues!
Flew into there a few years ago... don't remember all the green, but did have a long delay and needed to get a meal while waiting.
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport

This is another single-airline airport. It handled roughly 110,000 passengers in 2022.

1691070523389.png

Another single-airline airport, but that still gives the area more flights than it has TV channels.

1691161429609.png

Image 8-2-23 at 5.31 PM.jpg

This busy airport with its modern terminal is located in the state's largest city. Wink, wink!

Another single-airline airport, but that still gives the area more flights than it has TV channels.

View attachment 41230

PQI Presque Isle! My childhood airport. I flew out of this little brick shed many times growing up. Fond memories of hopping on a US Airways Saab 340 for a bumpy flight to Logan.

This old terminal from the 60s is slated to be replaced in the next few years by a larger terminal with at least 2 gates and hopes for additional future air service. United actually does reasonably well with its 1-2x daily flights to Newark (Although it's EAS subsidized) and recently they've started using larger CRJ-550's for EWR-PQI

Word is that PQI hopes a new terminal will help increase tourism to "The County" and capture more of the New Brunswick travel market.
(For Canadians looking to travel within the US...It's often far cheaper to drive across the border and get a domestic flight from here rather than use a Canadian airport)

Last edited:
And like Hunstville is really "larger" than Birmingham or even Montgomery and Mobile for that matter! Similar to Bridgeport really being "larger" than Hartford or New Haven. Oh, and no disrespect to Huntsville, it's a lovely and growing city in the far northern reaches of the state and kind of has a Greenville, SC vibe going on.

Last edited:
Here's another that serves the largest city in its state. I flew in and out of here once... unfortunately a pilots' work action turned the return flight into a s***show (but a fun story to tell).
1691336391320.png

That is Jacksonville International Airport which I've flown into a few times due to my ex wife being from just up the coast in Brunswick, GA. Well designed terminal, easy in and easy out and you can see the remnants of the old concourse on the apron. The below diagram is justification for not using a city's population as the only factor in determining it's actual size and relevance!

d8855b22e8ea420aeafe19b219639a7f.jpg

Last edited:
Image 8-6-23 at 12.34 PM.jpg

This airport is the third busiest in the state but the city where it's located is the second biggest in the state.

Back