Natick Mall Expansion

Exactly, Ron, that's where we differ, I am all about luxury, beauty, the finer things essentially.

If you want the "finer things" in life, go to the upscale stores, if you don't, go to Sears and JC Penny. Who cares if they're in the same place. I actually like it when stores of different price ranges are mixed, it offers more variety. Would you have the same negative view towards mixed income housing?

Well... if the higher end stores move in, they'll push rents up for the lower end stores essentially getting rid of them. I like a good mix of stores, but i agree that the nicer stores should be with nicer stores, and the less fine stores with others of the like.

A few years back i would have been against driving sears out, but why not? i mean outiside of Newbury, Copley Place, and a few others in Boston we have a suprisingly limited number of High-end suburban stores for a metropolitan area that is around 7 million people. Not to mention, Sears is definetly in decline anyway.

There are Tons of Lowe's, Walmarts and Home Depot's that sell the Home and Garden tools and in fact, most Middle Americans would prefer not to go to a major shopping area to buy their shovels.

As for Macy's, it's Everywhere. we can do with losing one (or not adding one? i'm not sure if it already exists there or not), although i think Macy's is being underestimated anyway, it's no TJ Max, or Marshalls, it could probably survive there anyway. Same goes for JC Penny

Bottom line, i don't agree with the completely elitest stance, but i don't think the logic in this argument is TOO far off.

Looking at the renderings, it seems as though a lot of the main features of this project might look really out-dated in only a short amount of time. I know that this is a pretty quality design for a mall, but it just has a certain hokey-ness about it.

A canary diamond elevator? hm.

Anyone feel the same way?

kmp1284 said:
lexicon506 said:
Would you have the same negative view towards mixed income housing?

In most cases, yes.

it's true, most people that shop at Sears aren't the type to frequent the Eastern Standard Brasserie... Filth!

kmp1284 said:
Exactly, Ron, that's where we differ, I am all about luxury, beauty, the finer things essentially.

this is a joke right????you can't really be that clueless......

In most cases, yes.

"Out of sight, out of mind." Why not apply that to poor people, eh? It's your opinion, but find me a mixed income development that hasn't been successful. It's well known that the infamous low income mega-developments don't work, and that rich suburban enclaves are out of touch with society. So why not mix the two?

lndscpr said:
kmp1284 said:

I don't think he's necessarily clueless, he's just kind of a douche.

He's the type of guy that walks around with his nose pointed at a 20 degree angle up relative to normal people. He probably talks with something of a slight, what he would perceive to be upper-class accent, most likely fake. He probably has a lisp, or at least a feminine voice. He never wears a baseball cap, or goes to a loud sports bar, and he never went to any parties to get wasted when he was in high school in college, because he thought he was better than those people, sitting at home selling his stocks. He is not personable or funny, has few friends, and buys things that you could easily get for half the price if you went to a store that was not on Newbury Street.

In other words, he is a douche.

I don't see that reply as being constructive or useful in any way.

By the way, the mall has now decided to rename itself "The Natick Collection". As in collection agency, which you'll hear from if you overuse your credit card at this mall.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
lndscpr said:
kmp1284 said:

I don't think he's necessarily clueless, he's just kind of a douche.

He's the type of guy that walks around with his nose pointed at a 20 degree angle up relative to normal people. He probably talks with something of a slight, what he would perceive to be upper-class accent, most likely fake. He probably has a lisp, or at least a feminine voice. He never wears a baseball cap, or goes to a loud sports bar, and he never went to any parties to get wasted when he was in high school in college, because he thought he was better than those people, sitting at home selling his stocks. He is not personable or funny, has few friends, and buys things that you could easily get for half the price if you went to a store that was not on Newbury Street.

In other words, he is a douche.

I love when Dude chimes in on this subject. It makes me happy to know that we have achieved true jackass balance on this board.

DudeUrSistersHot

It's time for DudeUrSistersHot to grow up or get off this forum.

how about let's discuss the Natick Mall? That, after all, is the topic here.

^Don't you mean the Natick Collection? It sounds like a set of funiture at Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen.

I always thought that some sort of transit link (light rail, or otherwise) would be great between the Natick Collection and downtown Natick. Do you think this is feasible? I think there are a few old existing railroad ROWs? I'm going to check google maps.

Sorry 'bout the hijack.

I found a railroad right of way that goes from Natick Center to the Natick Collection - it doesn't lead directly to the mall, but it's definitely close enough for some sort of connection. I think a serious investment ought to be made here.

Edit: upon further inspection, it looks like an old spur leads directly to the site of the new mall! I know you are all excited now.

ZenZen said:
I found a railroad right of way that goes from Natick Center to the Natick Collection - it doesn't lead directly to the mall, but it's definitely close enough for some sort of connection. I think a serious investment ought to be made here.

Edit: upon further inspection, it looks like an old spur leads directly to the site of the new mall! I know you are all excited now.

downtown Natick is nice. how about a picture of what you found?

I contemplated more aggressively rebutting the above statements but as a civilized human being, I don't stoop to the only level you can understand of calling people names and making blatantly incorrect statements. So just get a clue, you are not the shit, you're a seventeen year old kid with no concept of the world, I don't think anyone wants to hear about men with feminine voices and douches, so shut the hell up, end of story. And to the cheap rake guy, when you finally get one, shove it.

Now, about that mall....

kmp, I like how you addressed the style yet none of the substance of what others wrote about you (and yes there was substance in dude's post).

And a semi-stretched attempt to bring this back on topic, I was absolutely blown away to see so many cranes in action when I rode through on a bus (I normally take Amtrak, but they had problems and gave us a damn bus that day) in a place that seems so far out in the 'burbs. But that was back in November I think, so I wonder how it's doing now.

bosdevelopment, do you make it out there much at all, as you said you'd take photos of the site way back in June or so ..?

Back