Natick Mall Expansion

ZenZen said:
Damn! It's being turned into a rail trail.

http://www.millermicro.com/crt-masspike1.html

i lived in the walnut hill area of natick for a few years. Not sure if anything has changed much in the past 8 years but when i was there the downtown was a bit desolate. Vacant storefronts etc... like most downtowns...there were a couple of good restaurants. My wife and I loved to walk to the hole in the wall Italian place that had excellent food. I don't remember the name. There were a couple other good places to eat and the area had potential and many attractive old buildings but overall not much going on commerce-wise. Natick green had a lot of activity like frisbee, sunbathing etc... and could be cool at times.

The mall area already has a bit of density with some large 5-6 story office buildings. I think there is a home depot there now next to where one of the condos is going. It would be nice to have a rail oriented development here like westwood but i don't think a connection to downtown natick would be worthwhile in my opinion. This area will be car oriented with rt 9 and the pike close by and easy access to both 95 and 495

kz1000ps said:
kmp, I like how you addressed the style yet none of the substance of what others wrote about you (and yes there was substance in dude's post).

And a semi-stretched attempt to bring this back on topic, I was absolutely blown away to see so many cranes in action when I rode through on a bus (I normally take Amtrak, but they had problems and gave us a damn bus that day) in a place that seems so far out in the 'burbs. But that was back in November I think, so I wonder how it's doing now.

bosdevelopment, do you make it out there much at all, as you said you'd take photos of the site way back in June or so ..?

Yeah I actually did take photos. I never bothered to download them and my camera was stolen a couple months ago. I just got a new one, and I'm planning to head out there soon to check it out. The skeleton showed the towers to be pretty tall from what i remember.

Yeah I remember you saying that happened. Coincidentally, just yesterday I was walking down Boylston on the bare stretch that goes over the highway and there was an suv with a window smashed out. Made me think of your incident..

Drove past the Natick development not too long ago and it looks massive.

On an unrelated note: two years ago my car was stolen off of Newbury street behind the Hotel Commonwealth. They smashed a window and took off (along with everything in it!!!). Needless to say they found the car with the thief in it two months later. I am still driving it today! Did you ever get your car back Bosdevelopment? Or did they just break into it?

Spring 2006

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

Summer 2006

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

Topping Off, Oct. 6 2006

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

Last edited:
Hey M80, welcome to the board and thanks for the great pics...taken and seen from a really different perspective!!

ok haters, i did some deep investigative reporting to dig up this info....

From the Boston Globe....

Extreme makeover: mall edition!
With a world-class array of luxury shops and a new name, Natick Collection is taking aim at Newbury Street
May 24, 2007

Despite the bins of construction debris and a nearby group of pot-bellied men wearing hard hats and stained T-shirts, architect Stefanie Ashton seems confident that the site that she's touring with a group of developers will emerge as a sparkling 550,000-square-foot beacon of innovative, posh shopping come September.

"We didn't want this to be another shopping mall," says Ashton of Beyer, Blinder, Belle Architects , walking toward the end of the mall where Nordstrom will open late this summer. "We knew this was a space for luxury retailing, and we wanted to have a special building."

Special, because the Natick Collection (known in less fashionable times as the Natick Mall) is hoping to move beyond its Spencer Gifts lineage by adding a wing for Neiman Marcus , Louis Vuitton , Tiffany, BCBG , and Stil . Other tony boutiques soon to arrive include Burberry , Juicy Couture , Bet sey Johnson , Michael Kors , and Stuart Weitzman . The area's first Zara , a Spanish chain known for its cheap chic, will locate here, along with the first Nordstrom in Massachusetts. J.Crew and American Eagle will unveil concept stores. Legal Seafoods is opening a second concept restaurant . Upscale Boston eateries Sel de la Terre and Finale will make suburban forays there, too.

Outside of Chestnut Hill, it is the first time a non-outlet mall in Massachusetts has made a direct play for the luxury shopping market in the suburbs. Owner General Growth Properties is so sure that people will want to be at the mall -- sorry, the Collection -- that they are building a 215 -unit luxury condo development, called Nouvelle at Natick, on the premises.

After Boston experienced a luxury shopping boom last year with the opening of Barneys New York, Valentino, and Juicy Couture, a westward expansion is a logical progression. Betty Riaz, owner of Stil on Newbury Street and in the Chestnut Hill Mall, is opening her third store in the Collection. She is so certain about the Natick luxury market that she plans to stock higher-end labels than she carries at Stil's Newbury Street location.

Excited for the Natick Collection?

"I never go into the Natick Mall," she says. "But the Collection is going to have a whole new customer base. They're making this a destination. The Louis Vuitton in the Collection will have clothes. You can't even get Louis Vuitton clothes in Boston."

Riaz and Collection developers are hoping that the mall will not only draw Metrowest shoppers, but also customers from Boston. Still, it won't be easy to retrain shoppers to associate Natick with luxury, says retail analyst Michael Tessler of Retail Concepts, a Norwell consulting firm. Route 9 in Natick and Framingham has a reputation for big box stores, mattress shops, and strip malls. Metrowest shoppers have grown accustomed to driving east for their luxury shopping, and keeping them in the neighborhood for Burberry plaid could be challenging, he says.
Going into the city is shopper-tainment for them," Tessler says. "It's more than just purchasing things, it's people-watching and atmosphere. The Collection is going to have to do something really different to get these shoppers to come in."

It's clear that the architects are betting that forward-looking design and luxurious interiors will be a big part of that difference. The centerpiece of the new wing is an undulating glass ceiling that resembles the curves of hills. Such a dramatic design element is not something one generally stumbles across in a mall.

"We found out that Natick loosely means 'Place of rolling hills,' " says Ashton. "It's the only town around here that's kept it s Native American name. One of the first things we wanted to do was figure how we could create a rolling hill into the building, and that became most of the ceiling."

Ashton says that the curved ceiling is one of several touches employed to make the mall feel like a natural formation rather than a gigantic rectangle. Openings between the first and second floor appear to have been scooped out. An elevator resembling a canary diamond rises from the gem stone-themed underground parking garage. Inside, the mall is filled with groves of birch trees that have been reinterpreted as modern art. The floor is made of cream-colored Jerusalem stone, and there'll be an infinity pool that can be drained and used as a catwalk for fashion shows.

"The idea was to create a space that feels warm, very sculpted, and very curved," Ashton says.

Collection developer General Growth Properties thinks the "urban retail center" will succeed thanks to amenities such as valet parking. It will also offer other new features, such as free-standing stores in front of the mall which they believe will minimize the usual boxy mall feel.

The city's current purveyors of luxury shopping -- Newbury Street, Copley Place, the Chestnut Hill Mall, and the Atrium -- are facing direct competition from the Natick Collection. Still, none of these entities are, at least publicly, admitting that they're concerned. A marketing representative from the Simon Property Group , which owns Copley, the Chestnut Hill Mall, and the Atrium, says a new mall is good for all retailers. Meanwhile, the head of the Newbury Street League, an association representing Newbury businesses, says the shopping boulevard draws a different clientele.

"We are quite close to another mall, and it hasn't seemed to affect us," says Kate Quinn, chief administrator of the Newbury Street League. "When people want to experience being outside and shopping, they tend to come here."

Gretchen Monahan, owner of Gretta Luxe boutiques in Boston and Wellesley Center, says the Collection is part of a trend happening nationally. An avid follower of retail currents, Monahan says she thinks luxury retailers have reached critical mass in primary markets and are now reaching into the suburbs. While she thinks the Collection will have no problem drawing high-end shoppers, she opted against moving Gretta Luxe into the mall.
"Bottom line, I think the Natick Collection is going to be hugely successful," Monahan says. "The parties in this area are dressier than they used to be -- people are definitely dressing on a new level. We're not the city that we formerly were thought to be, which is just a bunch of frugal Yankees. Personally, I love smaller shops that aren't in the middle of 10,000 cars, so I decided to stay in Wellesley."

For their part, Collection developers hope some people will decide to stay in Natick -- putting down roots right next to the mall itself. Nouvelle at Natick condos range in price from $425,000 to $1.5 million. The glass hills of the mall's ceiling will frame an acre-plus rooftop park, roughly the size of two football fields, for condo residents. The park, landscaped by Martha Schwartz Inc. of Cambridge, will include two putting greens, a boardwalk, picnic areas, and fountains. It's one of the ways that General Growth Properties plans to attract empty nesters -- and set aside any reservations people may having about living at a mall.

"Anybody who understands planning and development would appreciate that the Natick Collection is going to be a unique mall on the Eastern Seaboard," says Aaron Bartels, senior director of residential development for the property. "It's no longer the two-story retail model with a sea of parking surrounding the building."

"I think it's a great carefree lifestyle," says Claire Sandell, who is in the process of buying a three-bedroom condo at Nouvelle. "I like the idea of going downstairs to the mall to grab a bite to eat, or get my shoes fixed."

Not everyone, however, agrees with Bartels's view. Boston resident Patrick Hough, who was recently shopping at the mall's Banana Republic, said he would "rather share a cave with Osama" than buy a condo at the mall.

"I like coming to the mall, but I also like leaving the mall," he says. "The artificial light, the artificial air . . . it's fine for a while. It doesn't matter how upscale the mall is, I wouldn't want to constantly smell Yankee Candle and Cinnabon in my condo."

Christopher Muther can be reached at muther@globe.com.

I'm ashame to say that I secretly wish this mall will fail. I don't want the suburbs to drain dollars away from downtown.

ChunkyMonkey said:
I'm ashame to say that I secretly wish this mall will fail. I don't want the suburbs to drain dollars away from downtown.
I'm not ashamed at all. I hope it is completely doomed.

vanshnookenraggen said:
Natick Collection? What does that even mean!?

Collection is what happens after you overspend at this mall and don't pay your bills.

Why, it's a collection, all right. A collection of overpriced overtrendy stores I won't be shopping at!

I really like the pictures of the ironwork, though, especially the undulating curves of the frame. Wish it was going to be used for something neater.

Natick Collection expansion opening in September
Boston Business Journal - 2:37 PM EDT Wednesday, July 18, 2007

General Growth Properties Inc. said Wednesday the Natick Collection, formerly known as the Natick Mall, will open the doors to its 550,000-square-foot expansion on Sept. 7.

The shopping center owner (NYSE: GGP) said the addition will offer six department stores - including Massachusetts' first Nordstrom and first suburban Neiman Marcus - and 270 luxury retailers and restaurants. The complex will span 1.7 million square feet and feature 215 luxury condominiums.

"The remodeling and expansion project is the largest to date for developer General Growth Properties, which aims to make Natick Collection the hottest upscale shopping and dining destination in New England," GGP said in a statement.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2007/07/16/daily24.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Builder has high hopes for Natick mall condos
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Updated: 05:57 AM EST

Nouvelle at Natick, the new high-rise with a mission to bring downtown condo living to the suburbs, is now on the hunt for converts.

With the Bay State?s real estate market in a slump, the luxury condo complex, under construction at Natick?s revamped and newly upscale mall, has buyers for roughly 25 units, or 12 percent of 215 condos.

It?s a tough time to be selling condos in the suburbs, even if you?re banking on the fact that people will enjoy the convenience of living at the mall and not be annoyed by the traffic and noise.

?The single-family home market in the suburbs has been stagnant for the past 18 months,? said David Costello, an executive at the ERA Boston Real Estate Group. ?This is, in general, a very risky time for development.?

Kevin Ahearn, whose firm has sold hundreds of units at major downtown Boston projects like the waterfront?s Intercontinental hotel and condo tower, sees another home run in the works at Nouvelle.

Not slated to open for another year, the project, which towers over the rechristened Natick Collection off Route 9, already has one sale lined up for more than $1.5 million, he said.

Ahearn contends Nouvelle has hit a sweet spot as it targets buyers in the affluent towns of Metrowest.

Despite gloom and doom about the suburban market, Ahearn sees a stable and improving market in suburbs like Wellesley when it comes to sales and prices. Moreover, one key statistic is holding steady for the area as well - roughly 20 percent fo the area?s single-family home sales are for $1 million and up.

The new stores at the Collection, including a Nordstrom, are a big selling point. Nouvelle?s Web site pushes this connection hard, touting the theme ?Fingertip Living.?

?There has been a lot of confusion really about the direction of where the market is going,? Ahearn said. ?The sales activity has resumed.?

But while the downtown Boston condo market is doing well, the suburbs, even in Metrowest, are a different story, said Costello.

And as home sales have sagged, construction costs, from labor to materials, have soared.

But Costello isn?t betting against Ahearn, whose track record of success is well known.

?If there is anyone who can do it, it is Kevin Ahearn,? he said.

Haymarket station is full of ads for the Natick Collection mall. This makes no sense, advertising something on the T that you can't reach on the T.

I hate to nitpick, but it does in fact make perfect sense. It targets the (large) pool of suburbanites who find it more convenient to commute by T but prefer to haul their shopping bags back in a car.

justin

I have never completely grasped the venom directed at this project. Sure, its a mall, the 14th largest in the U.S. (and largest in NE) on completion, but I'm actually heartened to see some actual design sense put into this. Shoppers at the Natick Nordstrom's wouldn't be going into Boston anyway (and the developers are fooling themselves thinking they'll compete), and this allows more options for shoppers, hopefully driving prices down.

Personally, I've seen too many prisons like the Chestnut Hill Mall around here. We should be glad this is how they chose to expand the mall. I wouldn't live there myself, but the people who do have every right to do so.

Sure it looks a little fake and contrived, but its better than a concrete mismatched box (like Burlington and others).

Back