Needham Developments

Equilibria

Reaction score
I figure we might have future development in the Needham Industrial Park and elsewhere to throw on this thread, but to get it started:

Needham Town Meeting approved zoning changes for the Muzi/WCVB Gould St. property yesterday (note that these are privately-owned and no development has actually been proposed yet). This had gotten some attention last month when the town looked to actively ban an Amazon distribution center there.

I believe what was approved is up to this. Note that 900KSF is slightly less than Newton's two master planned developments (Riverside is about 1 million and Northland is 1.4 million). You can see the path of a hypothetical Green Line extension to Needham cutting across the image, but AFAIK the Town did not discuss it here.

1620159236170.png

1620159297095.png

Should this be in Worcester & Massachusetts Beyond 128? I guess it's right on the cusp.

They should put this next to the jail off 128 - nothing but woods around there. Or is that part of Dedham?

They should put this next to the jail off 128 - nothing but woods around there. Or is that part of Dedham?
Dedham...Charles River is the town line. Prison's in in the middle of a state forest that spans everywhere from the country club to NU-Dedham Campus, so the land around it isn't physically available for development to span with density in any meaningful way.

Should this be in Worcester & Massachusetts Beyond 128? I guess it's right on the cusp.
Maybe we should rename the Worcester & beyond to reference 495 (or beyond)

When I think of 128 development I include “halfway to 495” And particularly anything where most commuters to the project will in fact arrive via 128 and it’s outbound tributaries

This is actually from last week... there's no housing. No way you can build any of that in our pretty little village! https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04...make-way-lab-or-office-headquarters-location/

Beyond the two buildings connected by an atrium, Bulfinch is planning a multipurpose outdoor trail with exercise areas, as well as outdoor roof decks and ground-level retail and community space. The project would also include two new traffic signals: one at Gould Street and Central Avenue, and another at the project’s entrance.

Applcation: https://www.needhamma.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/9611

I've got thoughts, even accepting the lack of housing. This thing is oriented terribly. Why not put the driveway and parking inside and have the buildings open directly onto Highland and Gould? The WCVB property will ultimately be redeveloped as well, so why is the parking garage placed on the TV Place edge, where that development will have to look at it (instead of on the edge of the cloverleaf where no one cares)? Why isn't the pond placed on the Gould/Highland corner where neighbors could actually see and enjoy it, instead of in the back corner fronting on the parking garage and freeway?

Say what you will about them, but Northland and Riverside both slay this thing.

1650306639294.png

1650308841433.png

1650308866531.png

1650308918515.png

1650308944550.png

Last edited:
3-story mixed use at Central and Reservoir (basically in Newton Upper Falls). Big for this forgotten spot.

View attachment 31719

There is a certain overall look of certain projects that just scream "Hey, I'm right next to a highway!" It's a fairly obvious look and not hard to avoid... And thus, I really don't understand why anyone would ever design something that has such a look in this day and age.

Town Common renovation meets with mixed reviews

towncommon.before.jpg

Town Common, before. Credit: Alison Borrelli

towncommon.after_.jpg
Town Common, now. Credit: Georgina Arrieta-Ruetenik

This is a tale of two commons that appear to have a lot in … common. Many residents don’t see much difference, but to those who spent nearly a decade planning and designing the recently completed town square, the changes are significant.

The decision to redo the area in front of Town Hall, as well as the finished product, have had mixed reviews from residents. Some love it, some believe it was unnecessary, and some still don’t like the changes.

“It needed to be done, the existing trees were diseased, major work underground was also needed,” said 50-year resident Tom Keating. “However, I do not like the two pergolas. They’re out of character with the Town Hall architecture. They look like something from Logan Airport.”

Julie Tierney, who grew up in Needham, said the new look of the common feels very urban and does not have enough green.

Others believe the common is not at all welcoming. “It’s more like a landing strip,” said Terry Windhorst, who’s lived in the town for 30 years. “It’s not particularly welcoming in bringing people together. It looks very industrial.” She added that the town should have used more sustainable landscaping practices like the pollinator gardens in the Needham Heights common….”

What’s new

To a passerby, the new common may not look all that different from the one it replaced. However, in addition to the noticeable changes such as more picnic tables, two large shade canopies, and new BigBelly trash cans, other less evident updates have been made. The paths have been repaired and are now fully ADA compliant, as are the new picnic benches. The benches are graffiti resistant and match those around the exterior perimeter and permanent supports for a tent have been installed. New irrigation will provide appropriate watering, and the area was amended for proper drainage. Electrical infrastructure was installed to provide power and sound for community events.

IMG_7733-scaled-e1688578205362-1024x689.jpeg
Credit: Georgina Arrieta-Ruetenik
And then of course there are those Wellesley-colored cherry red Adirondack chairs — perhaps the most contentious addition of all.

“They were a mistake,” said Ed Olsen, superintendent of parks and forestry. “As a group we had chosen a neutral color, much like the ornate benches that surround the common.” He said when the chairs were delivered they were the wrong color. “I was ticked off for a second, but I said let’s put them out there and see. It looks beautiful, it gives some artistic pop to the common.”

The Strategy of the Common

A confluence of factors prompted the initial decision to update the green in front of Town Hall. The space was used for staging during both the Town Hall renovation and the streetscape project, which left the paths cracked, the soil depleted and the grass compressed. At the same time, many of the trees were becoming diseased, including the popular blue tree.

Once the Department of Public Works put together a plan to remediate the environmental issues, the conversation turned to practical elements and design features such as more green space, paths compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act, shade features and dining tables.

“Now Needham is a destination for eating,” said Carys Lustig, director of public works. “We wanted to keep that activity alive and be a meeting place for the community.” She also said that a few more “fun” amenities would be installed soon, including two large bench swings under the shade structures and catenary lighting — like that found at outdoor restaurants — suspended across the square…”

IMG_3812-1200x900.jpeg

Town Common after renovation Credit: Georgina Arrieta-Ruetenik

https://needhamobserver.com/common-story/

Plan
Document

Previous
7ca31214-city-165-171351bf0c0.jpg

Back