NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Residences at 399 Congress St (formerly Madison Seaport Hotel)

Same old shit.

Globe has construction starting early next year.
Designed by ADD Inc., the project features a glass and precast masonry tower that will include a mix of studios, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom units. It will also contain 60 so-called innovation units — smaller apartments for singles who want to rent at a lower price than the traditional one-bedroom. The building will also have a roof deck. There will be 12,000 square feet of civic and lobby space on the ground floor, and 132 parking spaces will be constructed in an underground garage. Work is expected to start on the project early next year.

The Globe article mentions 12,000 sq. ft. of civic and lobby space on the ground floor while the Herald article mentions retail space on the ground floor! Would retail space work on this site or is civic the way to go considering that whatever goes in here will basically be on a traffic island! Or am I incorrect in this assumption?

I noticed they set the exhaust towers back a good mile and a half.

Right? I was standing on Congress Street this morning looking toward the parcel. They are right next to each other!

Fine by me, ideally the exhaust gets boxed in on all sides by development.

The Globe article mentions 12,000 sq. ft. of civic and lobby space on the ground floor while the Herald article mentions retail space on the ground floor! Would retail space work on this site or is civic the way to go considering that whatever goes in here will basically be on a traffic island! Or am I incorrect in this assumption?

This is an expensive building, almost $1,000 a sq ft. based on the BRA news release. I think there is going to be incubator space on the lowest floors.

Am I correct in thinking that this is Parcel N of Seaport Square?

I completely forgot about this project.

Am I correct in thinking that this is Parcel N of Seaport Square?

Parcel N is up along Summer Street. 399 Congress would be built over the highway on/off ramps along Congress Street near the big ventilation building.
Seaport-Square-B1-651x516.jpg

Ah, so it would be where "Congress St. Hotel" is shown on the map?

Parcel N is up along Summer Street. 399 Congress would be built over the highway on/off ramps along Congress Street near the big ventilation building.

Correct. In local construction parlance, this is known as the "sausage parcel".

I think we'd all basically put it on the back burner. Anything happening with this project these days?

Last edited:

I hate this parcel. There is 99% chance I will never set foot on the sausage parcel.

that is a useful website.

Without reading the whole thread, wasn't this the site that originally wanted to be residential but the former mayor said no must be hotel, or did I imagine that.

Yes Menino was pushing for this to be hotel, as at the time there was concern about the lack of hotel rooms affecting the convention center business, tho I believe it was approved as apartments.

Does anyone know if Parcels N and P are going to have retail on both Congress Street and Summer street? The reason I ask is because Summer street is elevated compared to Congress, so if there were retail on Summer it would be on the 3rd or 4th floor of the building. Perhaps they'll do both, so that there is ground floor retail on Congress as well? Would seem to make sense if they want to activate this section of Congress.

Does anyone know if Parcels N and P are going to have retail on both Congress Street and Summer street? The reason I ask is because Summer street is elevated compared to Congress, so if there were retail on Summer it would be on the 3rd or 4th floor of the building. Perhaps they'll do both, so that there is ground floor retail on Congress as well? Would seem to make sense if they want to activate this section of Congress.

I don't know if they will, but I REALLY hope so. If they don't, the combo of lack of active street level plus the Harbor Street overpass on Congress will kill that stretch.

when is harbor st & overpass gonna be built?

and PLEASE dont let them name a road in there "Autumn Lane"

Back