NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Madison Seaport Hotel

The parking is below grade! And there's ground floor retail! (Though, this parcel is an absolute island so I'm not sure what type of retail will thrive). I thought all the BRA's recently approved projects for the Seaport required above ground parking and/or a giant stand alone parking garage.

I'll take it.

Re: Madison Seaport Hotel

1) Figure 5-6 suggests a massive parking lot in place of the park/courtyard in "Seaport Square" if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming this is a placeholder/mistake, but still worth keeping an eye on.

Calm yourself. That parking lot exists there now, the buildings in that shot are just laid over the current topography.

Re: Residences at 399 Congress St (formerly Madison Seaport Hotel)

Tiny "innovation space" crammed between vents and the "drive court". LOL.

Last edited:

The funny thing about all of the bitching about the Seaport's autocentricity is that in reality, that's one of its greatest attributes. That's largely why it's become as popular as it is.

The funny thing about all of the bitching about the Seaport's autocentricity is that in reality, that's one of its greatest attributes. That's largely why it's become as popular as it is.

As it's built out, and the parking lots disappear that will start to change. It will have a base population of its own maintaining the neighborhood economy along-side conventioneers, whereas now it's relying on drive-in visitors.

That site plan is pretty damning. This building is legitimately a traffic island. They seem to have done the best they could with what they had. I like the massing and concept.

91a352.png

How long before a halfway decent supermarket is proposed in this area? With all of the housing being built or proposed, one will be needed to give folks in this area an option.

I know up on East Broadway there's a Stop & Shop and over on West Broadway the Food Master, but those are both a decent walk/ride.

^ Well, Boston's trying to emulate Kendall Square, and they don't even have a supermarket yet. So I'll guess that the Seaport gets one a few years after Kendall does. ;)

The Ink Block Whole Foods opening by 2015 isn't terribly far away from the Seaport, and I would hope some of the 300,000 square feet of retail approved for Seaport Square will include a grocer.

Guys this really isn't that bad. You gotta realize that these "innovation" units are still an untested product. The types of people who are going to live here aren't looking to put down roots here so hoping this building is going to be anything but cookie cutter pre-cast is naive. The design does as much as it can with the very difficult lot. My biggest issue is still with the suburban style roads but that is something this building can't do anything about.

Look at the renderings with the parking lots developed and once they are the area will work much better. Once there are a lot of people working and living out here these roads will be put on a diet; these suburban arteries are perfect for protected bike lanes.

The Ink Block Whole Foods opening by 2015 isn't terribly far away from the Seaport, and I would hope some of the 300,000 square feet of retail approved for Seaport Square will include a grocer.

The Whole Foods will probably deliver. Once there are enough residences out here there will be new groceries.

Well, anything can look decent from that distance.

Will the green / park roof make the cut? I hope so. Roof gardens are amazing. I live in a green building and it has an actual grass lawn and shrubs etc. on the roof, 40 stories up.

0419_399_Congress.jpg

Will the green / park roof make the cut? I hope so. Roof gardens are amazing. I live in a green building and it has an actual grass lawn and shrubs etc. on the roof, 40 stories up.

0419_399_Congress.jpg

Green roofs are the first thing to get value-engineered out. They are so complex and expensive. They make for a beautiful section though. ;-)

guest-0408_nrca2.jpg

dylshh.jpg

Last edited:

If that's the same terra cotta tiles as 319 A Street Rear this is going to look pretty good. The cars though... at least the rendring is honest and doesn't show grassy fields where there is parking.

Hopefully the days of those parking lots are numbered. There seems to be a fair turn to residential in the seaport. Here, A street, Pier 4, seaport sq. Hopefully they continue to add this 400 + unit buildings. Literally can't get enough.

Also, what is the future prospects on building around the tunnel vents a la Intercontinental?

Don't forget Fan Pier condo bldg #1, 381 Congress Street, 319 A (front), Waterside Place, Cresset Development's D St. project and Summer Street condo bldg plans filed with BRA (last one may end up as office space).

Would be nice to see some of the lots in Seaport Square start getting torn up though.

Although I think they do the building justice in the picture, I am wondering who did the lighting?

There is light hitting the building from the West, there is sort of "high noon" sun hitting the parking lot, it looks like night time on the street in the foreground and the sun is rising in the east off in the background. WTF?

Back