NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Residences at 399 Congress St (formerly Madison Seaport Hotel)

In case others missed it, the developer’s site that is linked also shows that there is also a NEMA-branded apartment tower in San Francisco (37 stories), and one in process of being built in Chicago (76 stories!). Both look a lot better than what we’re getting here, IMO. :(

At least we are clearly in the "major global city" development tier. Even if we are super stumpy. You can't go tall here anyways.

In case others missed it, the developer’s site that is linked also shows that there is also a NEMA-branded apartment tower in San Francisco (37 stories), and one in process of being built in Chicago (76 stories!). Both look a lot better than what we’re getting here, IMO. :(

Chicago's looks awful, especially with how visible it will be. It's a total piece of crap.

Chicago's looks awful, especially with how visible it will be. It's a total piece of crap.

Heh, to each his own. I still think it looks better than what we're getting, height restrictions and all considered.

Edit: NEMA resembles a nicer version of the Yotel. I actually wouldn't mind if this had been what the Yotel currently is.

Heh, to each his own. I still think it looks better than what we're getting, height restrictions and all considered....

Yeah, but if it was built here it would be Boston's tallest building. We seem to have pretty high standards for our tallest, most visible towers. Chicago's NEMA would mar the Boston skyline beyond recognition. I guess in Chicago they can get away with it.

Yeah, but if it was built here it would be Boston's tallest building. We seem to have pretty high standards for our tallest, most visible towers. Chicago's NEMA would mar the Boston skyline beyond recognition. I guess in Chicago they can get away with it.

I think Boston would be lucky to have something of that design quality.

From 7/8. Soon to lose pretty much every awesome view of downtown from the Seaport, which were plentiful until the last couple of years. The price of progress...

IMG_5122 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_5123 by David Z, on Flickr

Well, it's Rafael Vinoly not Stantec. He's not my favorite architect by a long shot but he's in a different class. I'd be thrilled if we could get some more out of town architects. The best things we see in the Seaport (Parcel M, Parcel D, Pier 4 residential) are all by out of town firms. Or give someone edgy the design--KVA or NAADA. See what they can do.

I think Boston would be lucky to have something of that design quality.

^ We don't need out of town firms, we just need developers to give someone besides Elkus Manfredi a damn chance. Boston has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to design talent, but you would never know it looking at what's going up in the city. It's a real shame.

Elkus Manfredi, Stantec, and CBT. Should be some kind of moratorium.

I totally agree we have great firms in town that should be getting the work. Could have phrased it better (and we have some real dogs by out of town firms).

^ We don't need out of town firms, we just need developers to give someone besides Elkus Manfredi a damn chance. Boston has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to design talent, but you would never know it looking at what's going up in the city. It's a real shame.

gWbmWAor.jpg

Yeah General we're still here!!

Jesus H. Christ we're all here!

That looks like some awfully beefy steel beams for the height of this building.

Yeah, this especially pronounced in the shot that includes the "Echelon" project next door.

The difference is that there's no cast-in-place core(s) here (Echelon has 3), so the steel frame has to provide lateral support as well. Hence the beefier steel and diagonal bracing.

Back