NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Madison Seaport Hotel

Take a look at the firm's portfolio, they're more adept to doing rest stop motels than anything else.

Also, the Boston VS (x)city pissing contests become tiresome quickly.

There's a reason why SkyscraperPage banned threads that are either about or devolve into those. Very little good ever results from them.

Really? I doubt that SF, with few internationally known universities (I could only think of Berkely off the top of my head) draws "just as many foreign students and notable scholars to its nearby institutions". It just can't compete with Boston's 50+ well known universities, and which notable scholars work in SF or do speaking engagments there? In Boston we have one of the greatest concentrations of minds in the world, we have many internationally known professors, much more then ANY OTHER CITY and when intellectuals (not really normal people, they don't care that much about this) hear Boston, they know about the hundreds of thought-provoking scholars, professors, and universities in the area, making Eastern Massachusetts truly a global center of learning and SF just can't compete.
Just like Boston can't compete with NY, SF can't compete with Boston. They may look a little similar, but Boston is ahead in so many ways. See the positive aspects of Boston, don't just trash it with no proof, sources, or reasoning.

Maybe SF can't compete with Boston in higher learning but SF does have Boston beat in many categories. SF is practically the gateway to the eastern countries (ie Asian Countries) just like how NYC is the gateway to the European countries. SF also has the largest seaport on the west coast thanks to the fact it does not need to compete with a neighboring city such as NYC. The population is much greater and SF's landmarks are more recognizable than Boston. If you show a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, a large majority of the developed world would instantly recognize it as SF whereas Boston doesn't really have a landmark that people in the world could easily associate with. The fact is, Boston is a great city, it's just not as great and influential as SF.

A crappy design deserves a crappy comment:

It sure does suck that the ground floors of the Madison Seaport Hotel are a concrete bunker of a parking garage. Sucksucksucksuck.

And to think, a sentient human being made a CONSCIOUS DECISION to wall off the bottom 3(?) floors with a parking lot. To the architect: Kill yourself.

And where would you park the cars of guests and visitors?

Plus, given the ramps and the vent building that surround the site, a ground floor entrance and lobby would be uninviting to put it mildly.

It's too bad about the lack of Street interaction, but it is going to take years for any street life to become present there.
^ Cause and effect at the same time. Talk about pessimism !

That's the way to justify getting something wrong: "Oh ... the grapes would have been sour anyway."

With thinking like this, how does the vicious cycle ever get broken?

Is this how the Boston parts we love came to be?

So ... since the situation is hopeless, let's make some excuses and declare that it's the best it can possibly be:

And where would you park the cars of guests and visitors?

Plus, given the ramps and the vent building that surround the site, a ground floor entrance and lobby would be uninviting to put it mildly.

Take a look at the firm's portfolio, they're more adept to doing rest stop motels than anything else.

An inexpensive hotel is long over due in Boston.

Isn't the backside of this building going to be blocked by elevated roads?

^ Cause and effect at the same time. Talk about pessimism !

That's the way to justify getting something wrong: "Oh ... the grapes would have been sour anyway."

With thinking like this, how does the vicious cycle ever get broken?

Is this how the Boston parts we love came to be?

So ... since the situation is hopeless, let's make some excuses and declare that it's the best it can possibly be:

Um no, Mr. "Gets in a pissy at every comment everyone makes". I was merely stating a FACT, not a hope or aspiration. It's a FACT that nothing is going to happen there for a while. Is it my fault? Um, don't think so. However, I commend you for thinking that I somehow have any influence or governing power over the development of the city.

There's a reason why SkyscraperPage banned threads that are either about or devolve into those. Very little good ever results from them.

True, but this is by no means a city vs city debate. I don't think that my comments about SanFran being overrated has sparked a such a debate. We are not arguing to anyone from SanFran about why OUR city is better.

Maybe SF can't compete with Boston in higher learning but SF does have Boston beat in many categories. SF is practically the gateway to the eastern countries (ie Asian Countries) just like how NYC is the gateway to the European countries. SF also has the largest seaport on the west coast thanks to the fact it does not need to compete with a neighboring city such as NYC. The population is much greater and SF's landmarks are more recognizable than Boston. If you show a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, a large majority of the developed world would instantly recognize it as SF whereas Boston doesn't really have a landmark that people in the world could easily associate with. The fact is, Boston is a great city, it's just not as great and influential as SF.

sorry couldn't resist ... don't like to see so much misinformation about our northern boutique neighbor. The Port of Los Angeles is the largest port in the US in terms of container traffic. Long Beach is second. Combined they are eight times as big as Oakland's port. SF's port traffic is negligible. The population of SF is around 750K, which doesn't make it that much bigger than Boston. As for gateway to Asian immigration, the SF bay area may have more percentage wise than metro LA - but in terms of numbers probably even.

Last edited:

As for gateway to Asian immigration, the SF bay area may have more percentae wise - but in terms of numbers probably even.

Numbers even with Boston? Check again.

who cares what the population of asians are...Boston's history dates back to the beginnings of this country. And sports between the two are not even close.

However, I commend you for thinking that I somehow have any influence or governing power over the development of the city.
It would probably be a big improvement if you did --rather than the bozos who actually run things.

Didn't mean to get you riled. Guess we all feel powerless, as the ones with power screw things up the way we probably wouldn't.

Boston's history dates back to the beginnings of this country. And sports between the two are not even close.

True; clearly these trounce every argument having to do with what we're talking about.

who cares what the population of asians are...Boston's history dates back to the beginnings of this country. And sports between the two are not even close.

You're kidding right?

Star Fleet Academy is located in San Francisco...end of argument

now getting back to the Madison.....

True, but this is by no means a city vs city debate. I don't think that my comments about SanFran being overrated has sparked a such a debate. We are not arguing to anyone from SanFran about why OUR city is better.

Right. I'm not attacking anyone in particular; I'm just stating that comparisons between cities almost always become contentious, because one person's view on such-and-such city is always at least a little different from the next person. Meanwhile, the discussion ends up suffering and nobody is happy. It's unfortunate, but time and again that's how things end up playing out.

True; clearly these trounce every argument having to do with what we're talking about.

Who said that? He's just listing 2 of the many many advantages Boston has over SF. I know you just love every city except for Boston so why don't you move there, actually see the disadvantages, and come back and see how good Boston actually is instead of saying "Boston sucks", "oh, Boston doesn't have anything going for it." Boston does have many negative aspects going against it (NIMBYs, slow bureaucracy, middling design of new buildings) but it also has a very high number of positive aspects. See them for what they actually are instead of making excuses about how those benefits are actually drawbacks.

Didn't mean to get you riled. Guess we all feel powerless, as the ones with power screw things up the way we probably wouldn't.

No worries my friend.

It would probably be a big improvement if you did --rather than the bozos who actually run things.

Hehehe, thanks! I think my first order of business would be to tear down the Tip O'Neil building :)

Who said that? He's just listing 2 of the many many advantages Boston has over SF. I know you just love every city except for Boston so why don't you move there, actually see the disadvantages, and come back and see how good Boston actually is instead of saying "Boston sucks", "oh, Boston doesn't have anything going for it." Boston does have many negative aspects going against it (NIMBYs, slow bureaucracy, middling design of new buildings) but it also has a very high number of positive aspects. See them for what they actually are instead of making excuses about how those benefits are actually drawbacks.

I lived in Buffalo for twelve years; I know what a truly disadvantaged city looks like. Boston is fortunate to not be in that condition. But I take that, and many of Boston's other advantages, as a given. No, this city is not Gary, Indiana, and no, it's not Phoenix. Thank god. That doesn't mean I can't say "there is a perspective that exists that San Francisco is more important for the following reasons" - I mean, christ, I'm talking about what other people think. Is that distinction not clear?

And when I do critique this city, it's for not living up to its potential. I would never suggest that Buffalo extend its pathetic subway's hours or build an Urban Ring. In that environment, one cheers on any development. Boston is lucky enough to be able to pick and choose how it evolves - it is fortunate to have the context and precedent to allow us to critique its future - thanks to its glorious past, and its not insubstantial resources.

I think any comments about San Francisco should be banned period. That city gets brought waaaaay too much in this forum.

Back