NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Madison Seaport Hotel

ok let's get back on topic (czsz,thanks for sharing your perspective). I don't think the building's that bad, but they shouldn't have 5 levels of blank wall as a parking garage. Seriously, how hard would it be to have underground parking?

Last edited:

anyone heard anything on this project lately?

Victim of credit crunch?

I'm hoping this project is completely dead, though I have no evidence to support an argument either way.

This is just another unwelcome entry in the architectural and urban planning disaster that is the Seaport.

Alas, just because we haven't heard anything about this in a few months doesn't mean it's dead. Besides, don't you know about Murphy's Law as applied to cities of the Northeastern US?

*Anything that is well designed or architecturally significant won't get built. Anything that's crap will always get built, and if there's a beautiful older building in the area, it will be destroyed for the crap.*

I think Boston and San Francisco are compared so much becuase they are so similar in size, density, they are both liberal, have similar economies, and are the two major graduate education centers in the country. Both cities have arguably the four top research universities in the world- Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, and Harvard, which I feel is a major reason their economies and political outlooks are so similar. Having lived in both cities, I would say they are both about the same on importance scale, but SF is slightly in the lead because of the SV, but Boston I feel may take the lead in biotech because of all the hospitals and med schools in the area.

they are both liberal,

Massachusetts is actually one of the most deeply conservative places in the country. We just have no use for Republicans.

Conservative when it comes to building anything over 150'.

What's your reasoning for hoping this hotel project doesn't get built?

IMO, its a pretty good building, given the parcel on which it has to be built, and it hides one whole side of the vent building. You are not going to get a great building there given the siting and the view.

^Ya I agree with you on that stellar....I love how "slim" this building is too. It looks so sharp and thin, which I think would look great in that area.

Based on what? Voting?
Now that you mention it, we did just have a 16 year run of Republican governors and the majority of our population is unenrolled.

Or...
We just have no use for Republicans.
Based on what? Voting?

Yes, based on the results of the last big races it is safe to say that Massachusetts voters "have no use for Republicans"

Any state that legalizes Gay marriage isn't conservative by any stretch of the imagination.

To further stray, the Commonwealth is easily, but not accurately, stereotyped. For example, our avatar, gay marriage, became law by virtue of a 4-3 vote of the justices of the Supreme Judicial Court, not, as Fox News would have it, by popular referendum. I believe that most of our citizens fall into the classic Edmund Burke catagory of conservative, which holds: "you mind your business, I'll mind mine, and we'll all get along fine." Zealotry of any stripe is distasteful to the true conservative. (Are you listening, Mr. President?)
Even though it is open to question whether gay marriage would have become law in a popular vote, the majority is likely now unconcerned because marriage is a private matter between individuals, and government ought not to be snooping in the bedroom.
I'll leave this subject to greater minds than mine, adding only that, by law, all marriages ought to provide for an open bar amply stocked with top shelf liquor.
On point for this thread, pour me another drink, cause this hotel is mere filler in another dreary lego landscape.

Any state that legalizes Gay marriage isn't conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
If marriage is the litmus test of conservatism then Massachusetts with the lowest divorce rate passes and Florida at #42 fails miserably.

btw- Who gives a rats ass about this stupid hotel. What a crime it was to reach into the citizenry's pocket and build a transit line thru nowhere when over 40% of the people in this city have no subway access.

Cheers, Toby...

I'll take another one of these.

B.B., you are a person of great discernment!

Scott, you are right. That transit is planned for future rich white folks. The rest of you, get on the bus. It's o.k. to sit up front now.

Last edited:

Back