New "Anti-Shadow" Laws Proposed for Boston

tobyjug: that's why I edited my post to say "a little over a century ago".

Originally Posted by the Boston Globe

Bill looks to limit shadows on parks

By John C. Drake, Globe Staff

Haaaawwww!
Did I lose two months, somehow, traveling through a time warp?
I missed April 1st, right?

I'm I'm I'm ah....

slack jawed.

I know. I'm waaaay behind on this. But but but uh....

I feel like McEnroe, repeating after every paragraph, "You can't be serious, man. You cannot be serious!?")

If they are, lobotomy, lo-bot-o-my, Lobotomy!

I just sent my first email to a Rep ever (probably should have done this a long time ago), but this issue got me quite worked up. What is this guy (Rushing) thinking??? Reps like him give people ever reason not to trust State Govt. This is purely a matter of interest of the few (BB and BH residents) over the many (construction jobs, tax revenue, business space, etc). I hope common sense will prevail and that this legislation won't even make it to the floor. This is worth no one's time discussing.

The following is a recent mailing sent out to NABB members with the subject
Important Hearing on House Bill No. 853: An Act protecting certain public parks

:
Important Hearing
House Bill No. 853: An Act protecting certain public parks
Tuesday, December 15 at 11:00 am in State House Room A2.

Dear NABB member,

As you may know, Reps. Marty Walz, Byron Rushing, and Senator Anthony Petrucelli sponsored a bill to prevent additional shadows from being cast on the Charles River Esplanade, Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Copley Square Park, Christopher Columbus Park, Magazine Beach Park, or Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway (House Bill No. 853: An Act protecting certain public parks). We are excited about this legislation, which will be critical in protecting our historic parks from shadows cast by excessively tall buildings.

However, passage of the bill is far from a sure thing. People who care about their environment will need to make their voices heard if the bill is to have any chance of success.

Fortunately, there is an opportunity for us to do just that.

The Massachusetts Joint Committee on the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture is holding a hearing on this bill on December 15 at 11:00 am in State House Room A2.

Public testimony will be taken, although speakers are limited to three minutes. It is critical that we collect as much written and oral testimony as possible. I hope you will support this bill forcefully with your presence and your letters.

Please attend the hearing if at all possible. It is very helpful if you let the office know that you will be attending, in case we need to reach you about any last-minute changes.

If you cannot attend, send a letter in support of the legislation to the Massachusetts Joint Committee on the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Committee Co-Chairs:

Senator Anthony Petruccelli
State House, Room 413-B
Boston, MA 02133
phone: 617-722-1634
Anthony.Petruccelli@state.ma.us

Representative William Straus
State House, Room 473-F
Boston, MA 02133
phone: 617-722-2210
Rep.WilliamStraus@Hou.State.MA.US

Send emails (with paper copies following) to Committee Co-Chairs:
Anthony.Petruccelli@state.ma.us and Rep.WilliamStraus@Hou.State.MA.US.
Copy Rep.MartyWalz@Hou.State.MA.US and Rep.ByronRushing@hou.state.ma.us

Please forward this email to others concerned with the issue, encouraging them to attend and/or write. A copy of the legislation is attached. It is also posted on the web at http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht00pdf/ht00853.pdf.

I also attach "Sunshine or Shadow?" by Marty Walz which was written after filing the bill.

I know that this is the worst possible time of year to ask you to spend time influencing public policy, but the government doesn?t always wait for a convenient moment to act. I hope that you will recognize how important this issue is to the quality of life in our neighborhood and throughout the city.

Feel free to contact NABB with any questions or concerns, and please remember to copy your correspondence to the office. Thank you for your concern and care for our neighborhood.

Sincerely,

Ann Gleason, Chair
Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay
info@nabbonline.com
617-247-3961
The attached PDFs:
http://www.archboston.org/pdfs/Sunshine_or_Shadow-Hearing.pdf
http://www.archboston.org/pdfs/ht00853_bill.pdf

People who care about their environment will need to make their voices heard if the bill is to have any chance of success.

That means we need to write in and support denser, higher development!

I would contact my Representative & Senator to say I am opposed to the bill...except I am represented by Walz and Petrucelli!

I would contact my Representative & Senator to say I am opposed to the bill...except I am represented by Walz and Petrucelli!

Even more reason to contact them! They need to know that not all of their constituents are so craxy.

Um, yeah, I'll be there.

I haven't asked Representative Michlewitz his thoughts on the subject. Who does Marty Walz think she is, trying to pass laws in someone else's district (Rose Kennedy Greenway)?

The Rose Kennedy Greenway is surely Boston's most historic park. Who can forget all the famous Revolutionary events that took place between its northbound and southbound lanes? We need to preserve this important piece of American heritage in its current state, forever.

How can I send a letter to not support this?

^ Check halfway up the previous page for the senators' contact info.

Well you can kiss Boston, goodbye. If a city doesn't progress it will regress, and what we have here is the final realization of incompetent visionless leadership who are finally driving the nails into a process that has always been detrimental to the success of this great city.

Even more reason to contact them! They need to know that not all of their constituents are so craxy.

Wrong approach. Encourage Rep. Waltz and Sen. Petrucelli to reduce their carbon footprint by carpooling with Sen. Galluccio.

Simply put this bill CANNOT get passed. That article has the emails for the retards proposing this bill, but I feel sending them an email is kind of a waste. They are already set in their decision. Does anyone know who else we could email. Representatives w/ common sense who would help defeat this bill. Also didn't the RKG study already state that concerns over shadows are over emphasized?

I sent that dumb bleep an email. Bleeping bleep what a bleep

Typing up an email as we speak, which will be followed up by a mailed letter to all contacts in that post. I am also contacting my local rep Mike Rush telling him not to support HB.853.

Here is the actual bill: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht00/ht00853.htm

I would advise contacting your local rep as well as those listed. Show as much opposition to this bill as possible.

ok so i emailed the co-chairs and cc: Walz, Rushing and my rep Rush. I will be mailing a solid copy to the co-chairs and rep Rush at lunch.

I cannot imagine that the Mayor would be pleased to see it passed. This bill would take away some of his bargaining chips with developers.

Back