New "Anti-Shadow" Laws Proposed for Boston

Public discussion sometimes results in modification to legislative proposals, which is one reason I'd like to see more of it here (and elsewhere).

One reason that I don't think archBoston.org should officially endorse or oppose anything: I'd like to see the proponents of this proposal here as well, so both sides can discuss the issue.
I dunno; Ron, the proposal is so patently absurd that it deserves no representation.

Phony "objectivity" has destroyed the media's ability to deliver truth; it's been reduced to a mathematical formula of "equal time." Little wonder the world's Sarah Palins flourish.

How 'bout we invite Frank Collin to give us his take on ?Marching in Skokie? ?

The RKG is in the district of Representative Aaron Michlewitz. His contact information is:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/amm1.htm

I haven't spoken with him about it (will do so, Monday night, at a local event) but my first guess is he'll vote in favor of the legislation.

It's being debated on Universal Hub here ... I urge everyone to comment in opposition to this idea. This is a well-followed blog and could inform opinions about the matter.

Hi,

I've lurked off and on for a few years and this bill is just infuriating enough to spur some action. Didn't this sort of legislative overreach go out of style along with the "No Irish" signs? At any rate, I've e-mailed my representative and senator, and urge all others to do the same. I provided three rationales:

1. it is anti-development (meaning anti revenue enhancement)
  2. it is anti-democratic (see note above about the Irish)
  3. it is an unjustified taking of property

If you aren't sure who represents you in the general court, go to the Secretary of Commonwealth's website. You can input your address and get the information, including e-mail addresses. Here is a link to the form:

http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

The more and more I think of this Law it's absolutely ABSURDED. BOSTON is a CITY that should have alot more skyscrapers. Maybe it's time to leave this city. The beaurocracy is keeping this city from Innovation, Growing in healthy diverse way.

Politicians are nothing more than corrupt souls that have no meaning in life. They are useless

Hi,

I've lurked off and on for a few years and this bill is just infuriating enough to spur some action. Didn't this sort of legislative overreach go out of style along with the "No Irish" signs? At any rate, I've e-mailed my representative and senator, and urge all others to do the same. I provided three rationales:

1. it is anti-development (meaning anti revenue enhancement)
  2. it is anti-democratic (see note above about the Irish)
  3. it is an unjustified taking of property

If you aren't sure who represents you in the general court, go to the Secretary of Commonwealth's website. You can input your address and get the information, including e-mail addresses. Here is a link to the form:

http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

welcome to the forum! Glad to have more support [common sense]!

I just posted on the site but it didn't show up. Does it require an approval from the blogger for it to appear?

Nevermind, it appeared.

Last edited:
Politicians are nothing more than corrupt souls that have no meaning in life. They are useless

SHHHHHHHHHH! Don't say that on this board or APoM will throw a hissy fit.

Oh and one more thing. When is this bill going to be voted on? I know there will be a hearing but I don't know when they will attempt to pass it.

I couldn't make it. Only people without jobs can make it. These people are scared of shadows...

I did email my representatives but they are criminal morons.

The legislature is in informal session. It only takes one legislator to hold up a bill until formal session.

It doesn't matter where you live or what legislator represents you, Boston is the economic engine of this area, and strangling it with this poisonous bill will directly hurt the entire region. Tell your legislator to stand up and fight for reason.

I am going to a Senator Tisei Lt. Governor kick-off meeting today at the Union Oyster House and will be sure to talk at length about this.

I recommend you all come, he's a very engaging, very smart guy. I believe he would be the first openly gay Republican elected to state-wide office in... America.

Is there a way we can create flyers and post them around the city? Something that says something like:

Bostonian Against H.R. 853, the Anti-Shadow bill.

Then lists the disadvantages of the bill like:

Slows the progress of Boston
Stymies future construction jobs
Smaller growth in housing and commercial space

And then list our forum website. Something to get everyone aware of this bill.

I'll wait for John to verify this himself, but it seems from what's been written in the comments over at Universal Hub that there a few updates from the meeting yesterday:

1) that the Greenway was dropped from the legislation (good news possibly but shouldn't "overshadow" the other affected areas that still remain on the bill [awwwwwghghhhh])

2) that nobody spoke in opposition to the bill.

^Kent, your idea is sounding great right about now.

^^I just wonder if it's legal to do so or if it requires permission from the city to place flyers. Don't want something like the litebrite bomb scare to happen again. Anyways if we want to do this, the time to act is now because if we take it slow, the bill would have already passed.

What I want to know is, what kind of materials (or paper) it should be printed on, where it should be printed from, what design, and where to place them. If we can get a online version of the design, we can each do our part and print out a few and stick them somewhere around our neighborhood.

Flyers are far better suited to referendums/ballot initiatives, of course, but I don't see how they can hurt in this case. It probably makes sense to focus on areas around the State House and our representatives' district offices.

There needs to be a simple memorable tagline which draws focus away from the shadow issue (I think if presented with the shadow issue only, passerbys might say hmmm yea, I don't like shadows either now that I think about it...)

Some possibilities:

"Keep Boston a City"
"NO to Stunting Boston's Growth"
"Boston is not Weston"
"Lively Parks are Green Parks"

I don't know if anyone here can run with something similar and post a quick design...

If we do fliers, we should set up a very simple website (as in address, such as www.keepbostonacity.com or something of the like -- something easy to remember) that gives all the information about the bill and all the negatives.

Definitely put the flier online too so we can all print and post it. I'll register the domain (or paypal someone the money for it) if someone can take a stab at making the site/fliers.

Another thing. We should try and get in contact with the local construction unions. See if they will lend their opposition as well. Could serve as powerful allies.

I'm glad that at least the greenway was dropped.

Ugh!!

http://www.northendwaterfront.com/h...reenway-christopher-columbus-park-from-t.html

Last edited:
^^ From the above link:

ChristopherColumbusParkWithCustomHouseShadow.jpg

Shadow on Christopher Columbus Park from Custom House Tower. Imagine the darkness if much higher and wider towers start to surround the park!

That's it. I'm starting a petition to have the Custom House Tower razed so it can no longer cast this egregious shadow over the beloved Christopher Columbus Park.

Who's with me?

Good idea on the website. I don't have the technical skills to work this but want to help and make sure this happens... any ideas on how best to coordinate?

Also, I was just thinking that an appropriate tag line could be "Keep Boston a Growth City" - just plain "keep Boston a city" is sort of vague and may be a reference that only a crowd like ourselves would understand.

"Keep Boston a GROWTH city" is much more tangible - everyone wants to live in a region with growth - both the suits and the unions can agree on this (even if the ladies-who-lunch can't). And it also keeps the focus on the Boston=city equation.

Just a thought.

Sorry Statler, but at certain times of day, I cast a shadow over a portion of that park just standing in it as well.

And the other day, my car cast a shadow on a piece of the sidewalk in front of Boston Common. Maybe we should just ban any vertical thinking whatsoever? In the future all building can be restricted to underground.

Back