New Bedford Developments

Quite an attractive little city. Why do so many people think badly of it?

It's a very attractive little city with a fascinating history and a nice setting.

I think there are many reasons it's thought badly of.
1) It's overshadowed as a destination by nearby Cape Cod and the Islands, Newport RI, Providence. If you're a South Coast resident, and you're looking to go to a little city, you go to Providence. If you're looking for a fun, seaside town, you go to Newport, RI. If you're looking for a beach getaway, you go to the Cape, Islands, Westport Beaches, or Middletown, RI.

2) It has a large immigrant population. The Portuguese have carved out their niche and become part of the reason to go to New Bedford, but its large population of working Guatemalan and Cambodian (many of whom are illegal) immigrants scare people off as well.

3) Crime/ the "Secret City" reputation. New Bedford has a moderately high crime rate at 7.2 violent crimes per 1,000 people (while similarly sized Lowell is at 8.2 per 1,000). The city has garnered a reputation as secretive in terms of reporting/solving crimes as evidenced by the famous "Big Dan's Bar" rape case (the basis for the "Accused" staring Jodi Foster).

New Bedford has improved and continues to do so but has a ways to go. The perception of New Bedford is still bad, although it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. That will change with continued improvement. Hell, talk to someone who hasn't been to Providence in 15 years and they'll tell you how shitty it is... this stuff takes time.

*Edit* crime and demographic information found here: http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=3052

I find the immigrant population to be a high point about the city. It is a minority city. For years immigrants from all over came here including the English, Irish, French-Canadians, Portuguese, Azorians, Madeirians, Cape Verdians, Germans, Norweigians, Italians, Lebonese, Greeks, Polish, Guatemalians, etc, came here during the last sentury to work in the factories.

However, many of the ethnic groups are moving out to the suburbs or their children have moved to other places throughout the United States and elsewhere. The way to measure the presence of these ethnic groups is to study their churches.

One Polish church remains after four have closed; two French church remains (the famous brownstone St. Anthony's) after four have closed; the only German church closed; there are no Norweigian Lutheran churches left; the Greek Orthodox church is moving to Dartmouth; there are three Portuguese churches and one Cape Verdian church however sometime in the next five years there will be two Portuguese churches and probably no Cape Verdian church (the pastor of one of the Portuguese churches explained to me that his neighborhood is slowly becoming Hispanic); there is one Lebonese church but they will probably move to the suburbs in the next 10 years or close.

Of course you may be able to argue the people are no longer attending church as they once did in years past, however, this may also show that the enthic groups are becoming Americans if they remain.

The reason why I bring this up is because many argue that one of the great things about New Bedford is the Portuguese feasts and restuarants. There are no new Portuguese restuarants opening downtown and the Cape Verdian Independence parade was cancelled this year for lack of funding. The writing is on the wall: the ethnic and immigrant groups that made the city colorful in years past are dying.

If the commuter rail does get built, get prepared for a new New Bedford: a city of new immigrant groups and young professionals working in Boston and Providence. The architecture will reflect the trend.

Which new immigrant groups are displacing the ones that you listed?

Which new immigrant groups are displacing the ones that you listed?

Indian, Nigerian, Cambodian, Haitian, and Vietnamese. The Guatemalans and Brazilians will still come but will trickle down in a few years. New Bedford tends not to attract Brazilians and they are, for the most part, returning to a strong and growing economy in their homeland.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

But there will be a strong growth in young professionals from Boston and Providence for cheap housing, especially in the downtown area, which will push north and south.

Nice shots, thanks for sharing!

Hey Corey
Great photos on your blog. I didn't know Mt Washington was visable from Portland! Very cool photo. I have to visit Portland soon, it has been a long time.

Senator Mark Montigny is moving forward with a plan that could more than triple the size of BCC's Downtown Campus.

Montigny proposing new, greatly expanded BCC campus for New Bedford

By Joe Cohen
Standard-Times staff writer
May 06, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD ? State Sen. Mark C.W. Montigny said Monday he is putting forward a plan for a new, separate campus for Bristol Community College downtown that could triple the college's existing space, consolidate all operations in one location and act as an economic stimulus.

Sen. Montigny said the plan has the backing of the entire New Bedford legislative delegation and could produce a new facility for BCC in as few as two years, depending on whether the state decides to buy, build or lease a building.

"I'm excited about it. It is one more jewel in the downtown's crown" and will offer a "whole new base to ... students," Sen. Montigny said. "They deserve to have a campus to call their own."

BCC's headquarters are in Fall River. It opened its New Bedford campus in 2001, starting with 437 students, and now has more than 1,500 enrolled. BCC officials said the local campus is running at 97 percent capacity, with operations spread out in different buildings and classes offered seven days a week and weekday evenings.

The local BCC campus offers a range of programs on two major tracks: college degree and work-force training. Depending on how space is measured, the New Bedford campus has 10,000 to 14,000 square feet, while other Massachusetts cities each have up to a million square feet of community college space.

Sen. Montigny said he believes BCC needs a new facility ranging in size from a minimum of 22,000 square feet to as much as 40,000. He said only a rough cost estimate could be made at this time: up to $10 million. It would be financed only with state money.

Sen. Montigny pointed to the Star Store campus of UMass Dartmouth that also houses most of BCC's local operations as an example of how public money can be used to stimulate private investment and lasting economic development.

As a proponent of the Star Store campus, Sen. Montigny said he began work on that project 10 years ago as part of a three-phase plan.

In the first phase, public money was used to leverage private money to take an empty building in a downtown that was not vibrant. In the second phase, private investment followed, creating restaurants, shops and other business activities.

In the coming third phase, Sen. Montigny said, "We are ready for a natural expansion of BCC" with "a structure everyone knows is BCC's campus" to provide worker training and higher education. He said that while the "private sector has bought in," a new BCC campus will stimulate further investment in the downtown in housing, entertainment and the arts and other commercial uses.

"We have one of the finest small-city downtowns in the country," Sen. Montigny said, with "natural assets" such as 200-year-old buildings, cobblestone streets and other physical attributes that are connected to the harbor and Buzzards Bay.

Sen. Montigny said he views BCC as an important asset with significant potential to train and educate the region's work force and help people improve their lives.

At a meeting last week conducted by local BCC officials to report on the college's growth and encourage local groups to support its future plans, college officials said there appears to be a correlation between the amount of community college space in a Massachusetts city and the education level of its residents and per capita income. New Bedford was reported to have less space than other cities by a significant amount and correspondingly low numbers for level of education and income.

Contact Joe Cohen at jcohen@s-t.com

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/NEWS/805060335

By Joe Cohen
April 16, 2008 6:00 AM
NEW BEDFORD ? Less than a year after the Delta Connection Academy shut down, Bridgewater State College and the New Bedford Regional Airport formally announced a bigger, better student flight training program to open this fall at the airfield.

At a ceremony in the airport Terminal Building Tuesday morning, college President Dana Mohler-Faria, Mayor Scott W. Lang, Airport Manager Edward DeWitt and others said the pullout of Delta last August turned out to be to their collective advantage.

"It is a win for the college and a win for the city," Dr. Mohler-Faria said. It marks a "new era of cooperation between the college and the city" and will lead to a premier program and potentially many more collaborative projects.

He said that the college will have more flexibility, be better able to control costs and have a greater ability to "create excellence," under the new agreement.

Mayor Lang, recounting how his administration had said that 2008 will be the "year of the airport," said he sees the return of the flight school operations as one piece of many to improve the facility ? a "tremendous untapped resource" for the region and "great economic engine for the city."

He said the college plans a bigger and more modern program than was offered by Delta and it will be the finest in New England and eventually in the country as it provides aircraft and flight training career opportunities to students.

City Councilor David Alves said the flight school adds to the city's growing list of educational facilities and programs.

"I see New Bedford as a real focal point for education," he said.

In addition, he said, the program enhances the airport, an important asset the city offers to businesses that bring jobs and investment.

Mr. DeWitt said the program will "transform young men and women from all over the United States" and infuse them with the "magic and passion" of aviation.

The college is scheduled to take over the lease on a city-owned building at the airport June 1. Classes will start with the fall semester. The school is planning to lease 11 aircraft, eight of which will be brand-new basic training planes and three that will be more advanced, complex aircraft.

The college said it expects 150 students in the program this fall. At its height, the Delta Connection Academy had about 190 students.

In addition to direct benefits from returning the flight training program to the airport, there are indirect benefits such as increasing the number of flights at the airport, something used by federal authorities in evaluating support for airfields, officials said.

When the Delta program shut down, students had to find other flight schools. Most continued their training at three airports in eastern Massachusetts, including New Bedford.

This is all good news for the city. My sister is going to start taking flight lessons in NB soon.

New Bedford as 'Seed City'

By Steven J. Bouley
May 14, 2008 6:00 AM

New Bedford has lived under an onslaught of despair and negative headlines long enough. Our resolve to protect and project our worthiness is at stake. We can choose to be defeated or to win as overcomers. Let's use our never-give-up attitude, imagination and competence as the fertile soil, sunshine, and water source our blossoming "center of hope" will require.

New Bedford is not close to being a perfect city. No city is. But, believe it or not, New Bedford is still packed with potential. Our challenge is to recognize and release it. We are 30 miles from Providence, 50 miles from Boston, 30 miles from Cape Cod, 30 miles from Newport and a boat ride from islands that attract presidents. In our own right, we are steeped in history; we've been No. 1 in the world in whaling, the garment industry, and fishing to this day. We are readily accessible by land, air and sea.

In addition to our scholastic, business, industrial, tourist, and natural resource base, we are poised for an expanded airport, a high-speed train system, advanced medical services, and other high-tech enterprises. We have a population of diversity and a willingness to work. The attributes go on and on, not the least of which is the alluring affordability of our housing. We are located in the middle of an expanded job-prospering geography. The potential, again, is unlimited. New Bedford clearly and objectively positions as the center of hope.

Let's consider a belated thank-you to our journalist friend from Boston who years ago tried to characterize New Bedford as "Pit City." His intentions at the time were to word-handle us into accepting an image of ourselves in some dark cavity of the commonwealth where dogs fight and seediness thrives ? a city to be "pitied," a place where people are "wailers." We are not willing to allow malicious intent to define us and, in fact, have since moved to action. We all need to say, "Thank you, sir, for getting personal in focusing on our home area; you've motivated us to respond positively and stirred our attitude of hope."

Please allow me to offer a more refreshing and refined definition: Consider the word "pit" in its other definition as a seed. Therefore, a seed city is found in the middle of a potentially fruiting area. A seed city is a location that protects and harbors the life hope of future generations. Another possibility is that a seed city is one that challenges. It seeds itself against life-threatening situations to overcome, and it seeds itself with other cities by the attraction of its developing lifestyle.

Boston is fondly known as Bean Town, certainly a great city and interesting place to visit. It is most assuredly the center of our state's governmental and economic work wheel. New Bedford is a great city, too, fondly known as the Whaling City. With our more accurate assessment of us as Seed City or the center of hope in a fruitful area, one may choose not only to come to visit, but join our soon-coming revival by moving in.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080514/OPINION/805140317

A little civic pride can go a long way. While I think a little of this piece is a bit over the top (where did he get high speed rail from?), I agree with the vast majority of it. I can't see myself calling New Bedford, "Seed City" (if for no other reason then the fact that the "Whaling City" is so fitting and endearing), but the point is very well taken.

I'm again making a connection to Portland Maine, as it is the most similar city I have spent a significant amount of time observing. Portlanders and Mainers in general take a great amount of pride in Portland (and yes, rightfully so). Everywhere you go in the Portland area, it's impossible to miss something that is selling their own city. Whether it's as simple as banners hanging from street lamps along Congress Street, or reading an "information guide" on the city, all you see and hear are highlights on the arts, the culture, the nightlife, the dining, etc.

Even the local news has a tendency to take the bright-side approach to area events. One example, sticks out in my mind vividly: I had just finished reading an article on how the DownEaster (Amtrak's regional train from Portland to Boston's N. Station) faced being cut due to lack of funding and that of all of the commuters on the train, only about 21% were regular commuters. Yet in light of all of this, the story I see on WCSH 6 the same day highlighted how the Downeaster boasts an 84% satisfaction rate among riders. Sure, the news of the termination of service as of January 1, 2009 surfaces (as did the other ridership numbers) but the ability of the Portland station to pull some good (84% of riders satisfied with service) out of a sad story (the looming end of the Downeaster) was impressive to me. It's positive tidbits (no matter how skewed) like that that could push locals to fight harder when it comes time to end service.

This is something New Bedford lacks. Sure, there are pockets of locals (like the author of the above letter) that see the potential of New Bedford, but there is an air of negativity that is abound anytime the name of the city is mentioned. People who have never even been cringe at the thought of the city, and why? Is it the crime that has reputedly "plagued" the city? The violent crime rate here (according to epodunk.com) is lower than Boston, Brockton, Fall River, Lowell, and Providence; yet most of those cities (with the exception of Fall River) have a much more positive reputation.

Is it the culture? I don't see how, New Bedford has plenty of notable museums (New Bedford Whaling Museum, Schooner Ernestina, Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum, New Bedford Art Museum, New Bedford Fire Museum and the New Bedford Ocean Explorium opening this summer), a nice zoo (in the middle of Fredrick Law-Olmstead's Buttonwood Park), a bunch of art galleries, a national historic area in the form of 16 blocks of preserved cobblestone streets from the 1700s and 1800s, Dining options that could rival (if not exceed) any comparably sized city, performing arts, live music venues, nightclubs, bars (all in a nice setting), etc etc etc.

Is it the setting? That doesn't make sense either. Situated on Buzzards Bay with views of the Elizabethan Islands, and Martha's Vinyard from some spots, It has arguably one of the prettiest settings of any New England city, right up there with Portland, ME; Burlington, VT and Newport, RI.

Shopping? Not a problem either. Within the city limits, there are some interesting local boutiques, especially of the clothing variety. Joseph Abboud is a local designer who's designs have been picked up by Macy's. The boutiques are not restricted to the downtown area as the North and South Ends also house this type of retail (particularly bridal gowns). Just across the city line is the Dartmouth Mall area, typical suburban retail, and if you want more, Silver City Galleria and Taunton's retail is a quick ride up route 140, and Providence is 25 minutes west on 195.

No, it's hard to see why New Bedford has this negative reputation. A little pride could do the city some good, and that positive vibe would spread outward and change the reputation amongst outsiders. In Portland's case, I felt that a lot of the hype was overdone, but the postive atmosphere really helps increase the enjoyment of visitors. After all, how can you expect other people to enjoy spending time in your city, when you don't enjoy it yourself?

Steven J. Bouley is a real estate agent, no crap he paints such a rosey picture. It's the economy and after that it's the schools.

I do like the idea of a "seed city". I think instead of having the poorer cities that ring Boston have to fight amongst themselves for wealth, they need to pool their small resources and work together. A "seed city" work along those lines. But a seed for the city needs to be a purpose for people to be there. Sure he names some good attractions but those only hold people for so long. These cities need to find a new economic engine.

^ Didn't know he was a real estate agent. That would explain the superior "rosiness" of his description. At the same time, a lot of what he said was entirely true. The "seed city" idea is a good idea as well.

In other news, the proposed (and approved) waterfront hotel is already paying dividends:

City's waterfront lands big fish restaurant to complement hotel, downtown

City officials say the restaurant will complement a new hotel planned on an adjacent parcel and support their vision for a resurging downtown with a "creative economy" that includes entertainment.

Kevin C. Santos said his new eatery, The Waterfront Grill, has overcome a number of hurdles and will open within weeks on a half-acre parcel at the end of Homer's and Leonard's wharves just off the JFK Memorial Highway at the foot of Route 18

The full story by Joe Cohen of the ST: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/NEWS/805160333

***EDIT***
Corson building is officially complete and a video of it is available here:
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/MEDIA02/80516006

Last edited:
New Bedford Markets Itself as Cruise Ship Destination

After a morning tour of downtown New Bedford on Tuesday, passengers of the cruise ship American Star return to the vessel for lunch.

By Joe Cohen
June 04, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD ? The 215-foot cruise ship American Star glided into port Monday night, sidled up to State Pier and inaugurated the city's 2008 cruise ship season. It was scheduled to sail from the harbor at 3 a.m. today.

Port officials said their goal this year is to step up the region's image for cruise ships, encouraging passengers to take in sights, including the New Bedford Whaling Museum, galleries and restaurants downtown.

The American Star is operated on the "New England Islands" cruise out of Providence, and is visiting Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket in addition to New Bedford.

The American Star was launched in 2007 by American Cruise Lines, whose headquarters are in Guilford, Conn. It has a 45-foot beam, four decks and carries up to 100 passengers in cabins ranging from singles to triples. Timothy J. Beebe, vice president of American Cruise Lines, described the cruise ship as intended to provide simplicity and comfort versus outright luxury.

American Cruise Lines is the only operator of cruise ships visiting the city.

Kristin Decas, executive director of the Harbor Development Commission, said she recently negotiated a five-year contract for a minimum of 20 cruise ship stops a year to visit the city. Ms. Decas said this year American Cruise Lines expects to have 25 cruises make stops at State Pier.

Mr. Beebe said the cruise line will have three boats visiting New Bedford in 2008, and she anticipates adding a fourth boat to its schedule for 2009. The cruises are typically a weeklong and visit ports including the islands and, in some instances, Bristol, R.I.

"The passengers love it," Mr. Beebe said of the stops in New Bedford.

He said the whaling museum is the high point of the local visit. He said the cruise line has stopped in the harbor since 2000 and the working relationship with local officials has been good.

"New Bedford has been a great port of call. It has been successful for many years," Mr. Beebe said.

Mr. Beebe said that despite the tough economy, business has remained solid and it has a new ship under construction.

Mr. Beebe would not disclose how many passengers were on the ship for the current cruise, but said it is near capacity.

Ms. Decas said of the passengers, "The neat thing is the people are here in New Bedford as a destination."

She said the city is providing transportation to places of interest nearby and wants to make the cruise ship stops as successful as possible to encourage more visits and tourism.

"We are building synergy with the historic downtown and the business community," Ms. Decas said.

Mayor Scott W. Lang said cruise ships help maximize the potential of the working waterfront.

"This is very important for New Bedford and the region because the people who come to tour the city see the tremendous attributes. They also make their way around the region, so it enhances the entire area."

Mayor Lang said a cruise ship with 100 people "helps to drive the economy."

"The passengers go back, they tell their friends ? many of whom are nearby ? and they can make a day trip here by car."

Ms. Decas said her goal is to encourage other cruise lines to consider New Bedford. She is traveling to Maine this month to a regional cruise conference where she will "campaign for New Bedford."

In addition, Ms. Decas said, the HDC is studying the economic impact of various industries on the local port economy and will continue tuning its marketing and related efforts to build business.

One local business benefiting from the cruise ships is Whaling City Expeditions, whose brightly colored, canopy-covered launch, the Acushnet, takes people on tours of the port, including the Fairhaven side.

Jeff Pontiss, who runs Whaling City Expeditions, said Tuesday afternoon that he had more than 20 people from the American Star aboard the Acushnet touring the harbor. The boat can take up to 26 passengers.

Mr. Pontiss said the Acushnet carries the cruise ship passengers along the waterfront, including in and out of piers, to see scallopers and draggers, and the hurricane barrier. It travels upriver under the Route 6 bridge to see where sailor Joshua Slocum left to circumnavigate the globe.

"They always seem to have a very good time," Mr. Pontiss said of the 70-minute boat trip. He charges adult passengers $14, seniors $12 and children $7.

Contact Joe Cohen at jcohen@s-t.com

They could start by advertising the small, but already existing cruise line that frequents NB. I didn't even know it existed and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

*Edit* the link to the original article: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080604/NEWS/806040301/1011/TOWN10
the website also has a video interview

Sweet... triple post, but it's a good one.

Ocean Explorium Set to Open July 4

a video with some good shots of the interior as well as some exhibits is available at the NB Standard Times Website. The link to the video is here:
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/MEDIA02/80612007

I'll be down to see it as soon as it opens and post pictures. I hope it's as good as it's hyped up to be.

**EDIT**
In other news, Senator Montigny has proposed a $25 Million waterfront redevelopment around the State Pier.

State funding to provide a $25 million face-lift to transform the downtown waterfront around State Pier into a tourist-friendly destination was proposed Wednesday by Sen. Mark C. W. Montigny.

Attractions could include restaurants, a fish market, public recreation and other facilities

It's worth noting that this proposal will (if completed) make use of the already planned downgrading of the Route 18 highway in downtown to a "pedestrian friendly" surface boulevard.

full story:
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/NEWS/806120404/1011/TOWN10

Last edited:
^^Yeah, while MV residents aren't happy about it, it's a fantastic opportunity for people in SE mass who are having trouble finding seasonal employment. My younger sister is looking into taking advantage of the $10 round trip airfare for the employees. Smart move for the parties involved.

Other news from today's ST:
Route 18 renovations could begin next fall

NEW BEDFORD ? Construction for the planned renovation of Route 18, a key component in a proposed $25 million refurbishment of the city's downtown waterfront, could start as soon as fall of 2009, officials say.
story continued here:http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/NEWS/806150362

and

Waterfront Isn't Worried

JOHN SLADEWSKI

NEW BEDFORD ? City fishing industry members aren't threatened by proposed plans to develop tourist attractions on the New Bedford waterfront because a state law protects traditional maritime industries from being displaced by commercial or residential development.

Jim Kendall, a seafood consultant and former fisherman, said he doesn't think there is "any real fear" of the port becoming gentrified or losing its character because it's protected by the law, which is known as Chapter 91.
the rest is here: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/NEWS/806150351

The redevelopment of 18 can't happen soon enough. It will certainly act as a big link to the state pier and waterfront attractions. good move for New Bedford.

MassHousing to seek proposals for 16-story Regency; broadens options for use

Mayor Scott W. Lang's administration has been working with MassHousing in an effort to get the building back into private hands and return it to good condition. Matthew A. Morrissey, executive director of the New Bedford Economic Development Council, said that he and Patrick Sullivan, who oversees the city's housing program, have been working with MassHousing.

"The mayor is confident that this building can be turned around and become a real asset in the ongoing revival of downtown New Bedford," Mr. Morrissey said.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/NEWS/806230347/1011/TOWN10

While I've never been in the building, I've always felt it would be perfect for restaurant on the top floor. I don't know if it's even possible, and i doubt it would even be considered, but the views from there of the harbor, Fairhaven, the Elizabethan Islands and maybe even MV (?) would be fantastic.

Any redevelopment of this building is a good thing.

a picture for reference... the Regency is the one all the way to the right:

**EDIT**

From the Herald News:
ROAD TO THE FUTURE: City mulls Route 79 changes to spur development

(79 passes through Fall River along the waterfront)

Fall River ?Plans to turn Route 79 and Davol Street into a pedestrian-friendly boulevard are moving forward, and project planners are seeking public input on how to complete the task.
For the past year, a group of city officials and transportation experts have studied a series of options for turning the two roads into one passable route they hope will improve access to the waterfront and foster development near City Pier.

More here: http://www.heraldnews.com/news/loca...ty-mulls-Route-79-changes-to-spur-development

If it happened, this would be huge for Fall River. I've said all along that NB has the advantage of the two SouthCoast Cities in terms of gentrification because of the better downtown and because it would be much easier to convert 18 to a surface highway than it would be for 79. We'll see what happens. I bet city residents will hate this, "didn't they build the highway to help?! our tax dollars, wah wah wah."

Last edited:
More on the plans to change ownership of the Regency and potentially convert it from rentals to Condos (affordable and market rate).

The great New Bedford high-rise tower
Jack Spillane column

The Regency stands out, like some sort of testament to urban redevelopment gone bad, an omen about the downside of government planning when it goes sour.

(ST Photos)
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/NEWS/806300328

I wonder if the people suggesting a move to Condos have any idea about how bad the condo market is. If condos close to downtown Boston are listed at less then 300k and still not selling, then how well can Downtown NB condos do? The right idea would be to convert it to mixed use. Office on some of the lower floors, condos on the upper floors ( a restaurant/ upscale club on the top floor/penthouse wouldn't be a bad idea). Finally, they should consider nixing the "city garden" and build out towards the street with some street level retail/ restaurant space (maybe a grocery store). It's in a prime spot (at the intersections of route 6 and some downtown streets) for mixed use development.

For anyone who's interested, Summerfest takes place this weekend (4,5 and 6th) in Downtown New Bedford. If you have any interest in seeing the city, this is a good time to go. Arts, music, fireworks, food, it's a good time.

More information can be found here: http://www.newbedfordsummerfest.com/
and here: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080704/SPECIAL29/807040301

Some pics (google image search) from Summerfest '07:

**EDIT**

The Brand New Ocean Explorium is offering a sneak preview to all Summerfest guests and the Whaling Museum will be open free of admission as well for the weekend.

Back