New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

The fact remains that it is a large part of the Boston market and there are a great many things - from Boston media's penetration deep into Rhode Island to the existence of the Pawtucket Red Sox and Providence Bruins - that we can point to right now as tangible evidence of a strong connection between Providence and Boston.

Thank you for making my point that Providence is not a major league franchise city. The two teams you referenced are Boston MINOR league affiliates.

And, no. Bostonians will not take Amtrak to Providence to see a soccer game. That is an idea completely devoid of reality.

.....because I'm confident enough in my city's ability to either win over the franchise or find another use for the desperately-needed venue space after they leave that I would be on board with a 25-year lease instead of some kind of ridiculous deal to try and "trap" the team here.

The only thing about Providence you can be confident about is that Buddy Cianci will be taking yet another oath of office in city hall next January. That in and of itself is reason for any major league owner to stay clear.

I do like Providence. It has some great restaurants, nice architecture and a lovely downtown water walk. But for a sports franchise to make major league money there is impossible.

And if Providence is such an enthusiastic and outstanding soccer market compared to Boston, why do the Revs have such lousy attendance when Foxboro is a mere 20 miles from Providence but 30 miles from Boston? Looks like the problem is that the Revs play too close to Providence and not close enough to Boston.

Last edited:

The argument that soccer can't do as well in Boston because the EPL exists is ridiculous. I know a ton of die hard Premiere League fans that would kill for the Revs to have a stadium on transit near the city.

Liking the EPL doesn't mean you wouldn't also go to local games.

You keep calling Boston a bad market for soccer but your evidence boils down to people not liking the Revolution and one singular person not buying the team from Bob Kraft. These are not compelling arguments against a soccer franchise being able to succeed or find a following in Boston,

Actually, my evidence boils down to:
  1. The limited to nonexistent media coverage the Revolution receive relative to all other major league sports and college athletics
  2. The limited to nonexistent community engagement by the Revolution, e.g., events such as the World Cup viewing party (the only notable example of an event put on by the Revs that I can actually find), and this extends to
  3. The limited to nonexistent efforts by the Revolution to build their base or gather support in ways that do not require a stadium move right now, including but not limited to increased efforts to utilize available infrastructure to move Revs fans to the stadium in larger numbers
  4. The limited to nonexistent progress on any sort of stadium move to anywhere in spite of the supposed demand for a move
  5. And, yes, the limited interest in the Revs displayed by the general public.
particularly because the main reason the Revolution don't have a following is because of this stadium situation we have been discussing.

Building a stadium doesn't fix the Revolution's shit product. Building a better team does.

Building a stadium doesn't fix the Revolution's shit media support. Creating and putting to work an actual substantial media arm and making your presence known on local media does.

Building a stadium doesn't fix the Revolution's failure to engage with its host community. Stepping up community outreach and organized events beyond the World Cup fixation once every four years does.

About the only thing building a stadium actually fixes that you can't fix in any other way is the attendance problem, but even that could be mitigated ahead of a new stadium by doing more to make the current stadium accessible, such as, oh I don't know, maybe actually fucking running any soccer train whatsoever, let alone a decent number of pre- and post-game round trips?!

These are literally insane ramblings.

I'll take this as you conceding the point.

Well there is a lot stopping us from using the commuter rail like rapid transit actually. A trip within the MBTA rapid transit system is always going to be more convenient and more importantly perceived to be more convenient.

Perception is something that can be changed through advertising, and the assertion of actual convenience is something you can't back up.

5+ Peak TPH in each direction is already here on Metro-North (and 8+ is coming sooner rather than later), 8+ Peak TPH is already here on the Long Island Island Railroad, and 6~8+ TPH will be coming to the MBTA Commuter Rail sooner rather than later. Increasing demand and modernization of service will bring us to the point that commuter rail trips are just as convenient as rapid transit trips. It is inevitable.

A major league franchise would not be able to succeed in Providence.

[citation needed]

This is not only because it would have problems with making money in Providence

[citation needed]

but also because it would have problems with competing against other teams in the league which would all have much greater resources.

[citation needed]

I am not going to repeat this again and no one else in this thread should have to either.

And yet, here you are, replying to me, again. And I'm going to set the over/under on your next reply to me at about... oh, let's say 8 hours from now. Any takers?

The eve of the move? What move? Where are you getting this stuff?

As far as I can tell - and maybe you can find some contradicting press releases, but I couldn't - the MLS have given no real indication that they actually care what happens to the Revs, beyond general support for a soccer stadium and general "we support Bob Kraft in whatever he does" rhetoric.

In essence, the MLS is at least giving the appearance that it couldn't possibly care less if the Revolution spend another two or three decades languishing in Foxboro, fishing for the perfect deal.

Now, if negotiations for a stadium in Providence seriously move forward, if we get to the point where a deal is in place and the contracts are being signed and the ceremonial groundbreaking is 24 hours away, and that's the moment that Don Garber decides to say "hold up, we're not going to support this" ... well, as I said, I'd be shocked.

You are missing the point. You are the only one going on about a top ten list of cities and its because you have a persecution complex about Providence.

The problem is ANYTHING compared to Foxboro is a win. Hell, even Quincy would be better.

Saying Providence is the best option because Foxboro is lousy is an exceptional case of tunnel vision. It is a waste of time to claim that Providence's only competition is Foxboro. Providence would be, at best, a 5th or 6th option behind Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Revere and Quincy.

All irrelevant, MLS is looking to expand back to an area where they failed primarily to cover a major media market. Boston is one of the top media markets and MLS would want a team there, especially over Providence which is like 50 and has negligible corporate presence.

Because one of the largest pharmacy chains in the country (CVS Caremark Corportation), one of the oldest and largest construction firms in the country (Gilbane), one of the largest toy manufacturers in the world (Hasbro), the leading national distributor of organic foods (UNFI), and many other major and minor corporations that have chosen to headquarter in Providence and around Rhode Island makes for for "negligible corporate presence." Right, got it.

A soccer team in Boston is going to get corporate money and sponsorships and people will attend their games.

So too will a team in Providence.

If people watch the EPL (or the Bundesliga or La Liga or whatever European league is at the top at the moment) they aren't going to be attending games and they aren't going to all be supporting one team in significant numbers above the Boston soccer team. Frankly, if someone watches a European league they are likely to support their local soccer team as well.

The product isn't even comparable between the soccer being played abroad and the soccer being played by the Revs. Throughout this entire debate I've repeatedly brought up the fact that a relocation does nothing to address the fact that the Revs field a shitty team, and absolutely nobody should be expecting a move downtown to solve the problems of a bad product or an uncaring ownership. Conversely, the shitty product could be fixed right now with more and better investment into the Revs by the ownership, and more and better investment by the Revs into the community. None of that is happening.

You all, as Revs fans, should be livid that Kraft continues to tread water in just about everything Revs related. You oughta be pissed that they have consistently underwhelming off-seasons and continue to field a mediocre team that goes nowhere and wins little, year after year after year. You oughta be asking why the Revs have to wait for a move downtown for the team to suddenly get better, and you shouldn't be willing to just take it at face value that a more accessible stadium inside of 128 is going to suddenly cause every other problem with the Revs to fix itself.

People keep saying that Providence is not a part of the Boston market because it is an objective fact. Look at this link; Providence is listed separately.

Nielsen's got Baltimore and Washington as separate markets, which isn't really the case. They've got Madison and Milwaukee as separate markets, which also isn't really the case.

Just because Nielsen is choosing to track ratings for them separately doesn't make them separate markets.

Bob Kraft was using Hartford (and... Providence) as a negotiation tactic.

Sure, but that kind of negotiation tactic doesn't work unless he was seriously willing to go through with it. And, right up until construction in Hartford hit a roadblock at the same time Massachusetts realized he was absolutely serious about following through if they didn't cough up what he was asking for and scrambled to make a bad deal to keep the Patriots in Foxboro, he was absolutely willing to go through with it.

No you can't promise that.

I absolutely can promise that. You can choose not to trust me, and we'll just have to wait and see.

No one moves their sports franchise just to think things out. Thats not a viable business strategy.

No, people move their sports franchises because it makes economic sense for them to do so, either because the grass is greener somewhere else or because they can't afford the impact of staying put.

Even if and when the front office gets serious about the Revolution (which, again, can happen without a stadium move), there's still the glaring issue of a disaffected media, which is Issue-with-a-capital-I #1 for the Revs right now.

And if moving to Providence allows them to grow their media presence while also generating a response akin to LA with the NFL (e.g. "Hey! Wait! Nobody said you could leave!"), if the move actually strengthens their positioning in the Boston market thanks to the separation (and, from there, Boston trying to lure the Revs back) - then it's absolutely a viable business strategy.

Well, Foxboro is in the same media market as Boston. But all the others are different markets so they differ a lot in their ability to support a sports franchise.

See above, re: Providence as a part of Boston's media market.

This is a ridiculous argument.

That's not an answer. But if your issue is that I've singled John Henry out as the guy in the best position to either expand MLS in Boston or buy out Kraft from the Revs, let me expand the question.

Why hasn't anyone else come forward with attempts to buy the Revs or start an MLS expansion franchise in downtown Boston?

Columbus: 32nd media market, population 1,967,066
Kansas City: 31st media market, population 2,343,008
Salt Lake City: 33rd media market, population 1,140,483
Providence: 53rd media market, population 1,630,956

So Providence has a population thats larger than Salt Lake City and approaches Columbus. Except that both cities have significantly more powerful media markets and exert much larger regional influence. Also all those cities you mentioned have a history of supporting major league sports franchises and Providence hasn't had one since 1885.

So what? It doesn't necessarily follow that no attempts to house a major league franchise in Providence means that any attempt to house a major league franchise in Providence would be an automatic failure.

Show me the hard numbers that say the potential earning power here is insufficient to support a major league franchise. Show me the math that proves a move to Providence will be a money loser.

I don't think that you can.

LA Galaxy II?
Louisville City SC?

I am sure that a Boston soccer team can form some sort of affiliation with a lower division team in Providence. Especially because they already have such an association with the Rochester Rhinos.

Affiliations between teams, even in leagues and countries such as the US where promotion and relegation are not in use, are far more fluid than the traditional farm system pairing of minor league -> major league team. The concept of "loaning" players between soccer teams is also something unique to this particular sport, and loans of players between leagues is something notably distinct from the traditional idea of calling up players or sending them down.

The closest thing to a traditional minor league team that soccer has is the concept of a reserve team, but even this isn't a straight analogue - and the MLS choosing to try and integrate reserve team play into the USL Pro, or the LA Galaxy outright incorporating their reserve team into the USL Pro, is in no way indicative that Minor League Soccer is in US Soccer's future.

There's always going to be unaffiliated USL Pro teams, USL Pro teams affiliated with an MLS franchise whose reserve team is competing in interleague play against the USL Pro, shifting affiliations, and it's unlikely that the NASL (the division II league - remember, USL pro is division III) is going to follow suit behind the USL Pro in a wave of affiliation establishments with the goal of approximating a soccer feeder system.

Thank you for making my point that Providence is not a major league franchise city. The two teams you referenced are Boston MINOR league affiliates.

BOOM! Ya got me there! Way to turn my own argument right back on me!

Too bad it wasn't the argument that I was actually making, though. The argument I was making is that there are strong market ties between Providence and Boston, and the minor league affiliations help prove that. The Revs in Providence would still be part of the Boston media market.

In fact, Providence "is not a major league franchise city" only in the sense that no major league franchise currently exists there. This is in no way indicative of any particular inability for the city to host a major league franchise successfully.

And, no. Bostonians will not take Amtrak to Providence to see a soccer game. That is an idea completely devoid of reality.

Of course not. They'd take the commuter rail.

The only thing about Providence you can be confident about is that Buddy Cianci will be taking yet another oath of office in city hall next January. That in and of itself is reason for any major league owner to stay clear.

Because Boston and Massachusetts politicians are all totally devoid of corruption and criminal scandal! Why, never in the history of Beacon Hill has a politician ever done anything even remotely unsavory! And nobody ever has gone to jail.

Oh, wait...

I do like Providence. It has some great restaurants, nice architecture and a lovely downtown water walk. But for a sports franchise to make major league money there is impossible.

[citation needed]

And if Providence is such an enthusiastic and outstanding soccer market compared to Boston, why do the Revs have such lousy attendance when Foxboro is a mere 20 miles from Providence but 30 miles from Boston? Looks like the problem is that the Revs play too close to Providence and not close enough to Boston.

Whoa, sick QED. That's twice in a row you've burned me on an argument I wasn't actually making.

Providence is a growth market, and soccer has a much better chance to grow in Providence. That doesn't mean that the market is right there, right now, and I never said that it was.

What I have said, and what nobody here seems to be willing or able to refute, is that the market demonstrably is not there in Boston, despite claims of Foxboro having stronger ties to the Boston market than Providence does. I have said, and I maintain, that a brand-spankin'-new stadium will do jack and shit to solve the problems of a disaffected media, disaffected fanbase, disaffected community, and shit product. And four out of four those problems are things that could be partially fixed or mitigated right now without a stadium! Yet the Revs continue to have no community presence, the media continues to provide virtually zero coverage and support of the team, the ownership continues to provide a shit product and the fanbase refuses to hold them accountable even by doing the one thing that should be really fucking easy for them to do considering how difficult it apparently is to get to Gillette and stop putting 15,000 butts in the seats every home game!

The argument that soccer can't do as well in Boston because the EPL exists is ridiculous. I know a ton of die hard Premiere League fans that would kill for the Revs to have a stadium on transit near the city.

Liking the EPL doesn't mean you wouldn't also go to local games.

Do me a favor, and poll these people for me.

Ask them what their opinion of the Revs product is - not the stadium or lack thereof, not even necessarily the branding, but the team that they field every game. Ask them if they would rather watch an EPL game or a Revs game, and ask them just how many home games they would actually go to.

You can even tell them some mean old jerk from the internet is trying to take their team away, if it makes it easier to get them to answer.

I haven't been following this thread incredibly closely, but it seems to me that some of these arguments are based on the idea that what happens to the Revs is based on what is in the Krafts best interest. Shouldn't the argument be framed as what's in the best interest of the MLS since MLS technically own the Revs?

I don't know the correct answer to that question and imagine none of us do, but that seems to be what we should be debating rather than what's in the best interest of the Krafts.

I'll wait to see if Proposition Joe can find anything from the front desk of MLS to the tune of "The stadium move is taking too long" or "We're deeply concerned about the progress by the Revolution" or anything else more substantial than a general "Kraft can do whatever Kraft wants to do and we're behind him."

Absent that, the best of interest of the MLS is to move anywhere and a move really needed to happen four or five years ago. I believe and maintain that it's in the best interest of the Revs/the MLS/the Krafts to move to Providence tomorrow if the other options are all "stay put for the next 20+ years AND THEN..."

BOOM! Ya got me there! Way to turn my own argument right back on me!

Too bad it wasn't the argument that I was actually making, though. The argument I was making is that there are strong market ties between Providence and Boston, and the minor league affiliations help prove that. The Revs in Providence would still be part of the Boston media market.

In fact, Providence "is not a major league franchise city" only in the sense that no major league franchise currently exists there. This is in no way indicative of any particular inability for the city to host a major league franchise successfully.

Do you even READ what you write?

"In fact, Providence "is not a major league franchise city" only in the sense that no major league franchise currently exists there."

"CURRENTLY"????? Yeah, I'm "CURRENTLY" not sleeping with Gisele Bundchen. Can you tell us all the last time Providence hosted a major league team?

No. What is indicative and what you clearly indicate is that Providence is a MINOR league sports city. The only strong market ties between Boston and Providence are that of a world class city and its back office.

Rhode Island should concentrate on getting its highest in the nation 8.3% unemployment rate down to the levels of a Mississippi or Alabama.

You DO know what the definition is for making the same mistake over and over again? I have two names to state here: CURT and SCHILLING. You are hilariously suggesting that Rhode Island - - in the ongoing aftermath of the 38 Studios debacle - - now gives a huge handout to move a soccer team there????? Are you SERIOUS?

Last edited:

Providence is a great city but let's be honest, it's too small to support any major league team let alone soccer which is simply not popular in this country.

If an urban Revs stadium ever gets built I see it in Boston, somerville or Revere.

I do think the casino question will impact a potential stadium location.

5+ Peak TPH in each direction is already here on Metro-North (and 8+ is coming sooner rather than later), 8+ Peak TPH is already here on the Long Island Island Railroad, and 6~8+ TPH will be coming to the MBTA Commuter Rail sooner rather than later. Increasing demand and modernization of service will bring us to the point that commuter rail trips are just as convenient as rapid transit trips. It is inevitable.

I'm not going to throw more lighter fluid on one of the most batshit insane "discussions" AB has seen in a loooooong time. Nor am I going to try to engage over-the-top religious fanaticism with facts. Because this stopped being an exchange of ideas several pages ago and is now just primal screaming.

So I'll just address this point with some link-fodder and bullet points. Then you guys can fill your diapers full with it and throw it at each other to your heart's content. . .

Metro North New Haven Line schedule: http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/NewHavenJULY072014_MF.pdf

MBTA Providence Line schedule: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Commuter_Rail/providence.pdf

Amtrak Regional + Acela schedule: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/110/701/Northeast-Regional-2-Schedule-060914.pdf

MBTA commuter rail time map: http://www.stonebrowndesign.com/uploads/9/7/6/9/9769402/mbta-rail-timescale.png

Amtrak's NEC Infrastructure Master Plan: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/870/270/Northeast-Corridor-Infrastructure-Master-Plan.pdf. p. 4 & 7 for the MBTA territory improvements.

RIDOT intrastate commuter rail feasibility study: http://www.gcpvd.org/images/reports...ntrastate-commuter-rail-feasibility-study.pdf. Demographics, ridership, schedules and blah blah blah for the northern-overlap Woonsocket-inbound intrastate commuter rail. RIDOT's site redesign seems to have zapped the latest Westerly-Providence feasibility study, so...sorry, don't have that one.

Foxboro CR feasbility study: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/A...er Rail Report (01-Sept-10) - REPORT ONLY.pdf

• Today you get ~25-30 minute peak headways on Metro North on the 72 miles from Grand Central to New Haven on the highest-capacity commuter railroad in the Western Hemisphere. 2 hour travel time because that's usually a ton of stops.
  • New Haven is at its level on commuter rail time/frequency, and will never get demonstrably better than this. Traffic load is that extreme, and the service patterns have to balance between too many unique destinations (including New Haven-Penn Station in the next 10 years). All planned improvements are intended just for bolstering reliability under these loads. No bigger/faster/more is meaningfully possible within the laws of physics on this commuter line. There are plenty of MTA documents and NYC-area resources to Google for underscoring this so you don't have to take my word for it.

• Today you get ~45 minute NEC Regional travel times on the 44 miles between South Station and Providence, and ~40 minute Acela times. Intermediate stops at BBY and 128. The 5 min. difference is solely the result of the 150 MPH territory between Sharon and Attleboro, the longest nonstop straightaway on the east coast, and the Acelas going 25 MPH faster than the Regionals there. Regionals are at their now-and-forever speed ceiling. Acelas are being tested for 160 MPH here soon, so that schedule may bank another 2-3 minutes of padding by next year. But those are the unassailable limits. It's still not quite long enough a straightaway for 200 MPH operation.
  • No commuter rail operation in the Western Hemisphere tops 90 MPH because of stop spacing and equipment buys predicated on the limits of commuter rail stop spacing. So no T-logoed train will ever theoretically make Providence in less than an hour on today's pretty-good NEC or tomorrow's super-duper-duper-super NEC. Understand that is not a technical limitation. If you're ever been a standee on a sardines-packed bi-level you know all too well why even the awesomest Euro EMU equipment can't/won't/shouldn't try to accelerate/decelerate to track speed in the shortest humanly possible amount of time between station stops. G-forces and properties of inertia on human-sized projectiles and all that.
  • You cannot get rapid transit travel times to Providence as if it were a Braintree-Alewife end-to-ender in a subway car. Unpossible, unprobable, unwise, and unneeded. Don't agree...take it up with this here mountain of numbers served up by the authorities.

• Today you get ~25-30 minute peak commuter rail headways on the 44 miles from South Station to Providence, at about 1:10 on the clock. Metro North's peak-hour schedules span a couple hours longer than the T's and the Providence Line is way emptier off-peak than the New Haven Line, of course.
  • The most travel time improvement you're looking at here is 5 minutes or less if the T segregates its 90 MPH-rated equipment to the NEC. About enough to absorb a Pawtucket infill with no penalty and no savings anywhere else. Maybe another 5+ minutes if they go to EMU's in the future. Pruning Ruggles and Hyde Park would have no demonstrable effect on the average travel time, because enough PVD trains already run skip-stop that it's only reshuffling the deck. Providence locals will never be less than a buck-five, because that's the upper limit with the stop spacing. G-forces and inertia and human bowling balls and all that.
  • The NEC docs show all improvements needed to satisfy 100% of the Year 2030 NEC capacity needs for Amtrak, MBTA, RIDOT intrastate, and freight in MA and RI. Nothing more can or will be planned until Amtrak locks in a final Inland HSR routing for 2040. Keep that in mind...it does not go further with sextuple-tracking and cherries on top because NO user of the NEC forecasts any demographic demand for service exceeding these levels. I would put that in annoying <blink> tags if I could. Seriously...direct your counterpoints or rage or rageful counterpoints at the half-dozen or more official stakeholders who crunched the numbers in study after goddamn study if you've got a problem with that. Those are real numbers, and competing theories need to put up or shut up by showing their math.
  • For the T, a majority of the BOS-PVD service growth is going to come from packing the off-peak schedule a lot fuller. Not much more than this on-peak. Amtrak and the other CR branches eat up most of the finite expansion capacity from Canton Jct. to Back Bay. Franklin-over-Fairmount diversions, N-S Link run-thrus, Orange/Green-ing the Needham Line...those are stepwise relief valves for maintaining that same ceiling through 2050 levels of volume growth (yes, this also includes Inland HSR supertrains in the mix, if you're wondering who eats the rest of the theoretical gains). The SW Corridor and Neponset Reservation out to Canton Jct. are still the ruling limiters for total TPH, so the characteristics of Providence Line service will not fundamentally change with any of those capacity enhancements or the coolest fucking EMU's money can buy. It cannot change any more than it can on the New Haven Line. The Providence Line can only be similarly upgraded like the New Haven to have more resilience under peak load.
  • In short...there is no rapid-transitization to be done here making Providence and Boston a de facto subway trip or some purple-painted, T-logoed Acela a Zone 7 ticket away. Ever. It cannot be, not even in the highest-of-concept fantasy world.

• Similarly, RIDOT's intrastate buildout is measured against highest theoretical demand through 2030. With 3 overlapping service patterns between Pawtucket and Wickford: Providence Line, Woonsocket from the north, and Westerly from the south. With short shuttles potentially bolstering the off-peak on the midsection overlap when the other 3 longer-distance services have throttled back to 45-90 minute headways. While I don't have the Westerly numbers available thanks to link-brokey, I don't think they exceed by any more than ~15% the Woonsocket frequencies. And the maximum possible frequency in the center overlap is that Woonsocket schedule + that Westerly schedule that only exceeds Woonsocket by small/finite amount + Providence Line peak frequencies (and this assumes the Providence Line will go back to a firmer PVD or T.F. Green terminal on 95% of runs once the other services are up and running, because it can't max out its frequencies from Boston permanently stretching itself to Wickford or Kingston). 15-20 min. headway or something like that on the Pawtucket-Warwick overlap (assume there might be a little skip-stop dancing at the new intermediate stops on certain schedules to keep things fluid). Then dinkys backstopping those Metro Providence frequencies on the off-peak when freights are out roaming and the longer-haul CR trains are on the off-peak.
  • This is not a rapid transit schedule either. It's a very good commuter rail schedule in a region that has zero of that today. But it's not a subway, nor will it ever be.
  • Extrapolate what you will from this about what the travel demand actually is inside the state of Rhode Island and Providence Metro. Just keep in mind that these CR studies were what the State of Rhode Island itself number-crunched as the maximum possible demand. Even Rhode Islanders themselves don't think they'll ever need to use more than that. So...take it up with one's own countrymen if they're selling themselves short. That's not Bob Kraft's bag.

• Read the Foxboro CR study for yourself. 32 trains per day and 30 minute local travel times from Readville to Gillette is pretty goddamn nice for an efficient $80M. The study purposefully didn't make any assumptions about final Fairmount schedules, DMU's, and the like. So that extra 30 minutes "Option C" tacks on for making all Fairmount stops probably slims down to an efficient 45-50 mins. door-to-door if the thru trains juggle an express pick-'em of 2 or 3 high-demand Fairmount stops. And extrapolate from there what a game-day express that only makes stops at BBY and Dedham Corporate would do for Gilette events. Not bad for the price when ridership spikes on the Franklin main and a little bit of new freight revenue helps defray the cap and ops costs quickly and at way better clip than most other CR extensions under review.
  • Yes, that also includes signalizing the Foxboro-Mansfield segment and speed-bumping to 40 MPH. For obscure technical reasons like the NEC just being the better place to branch off the signal cables, and also freights and providing an emergency alt route from the NEC to Boston. Extrapolate from there the gains from the Providence-leg game day trains and ability to run more of those PVD-FXB for more minor events given the layover yard that'll go right next to Gilette.
  • No, that's not rapid transit either. No, you can't make it rapid transit either. The Franklin and Framingham Secondary are major freight clearance routes with 6 stations prohibited from having high platforms and unlikely enough under-bridge room to ever support freights under electrification. That is, however, about as tight and efficient as you can get for conventional push-pull. And 64 trains per day through Dedham Corporate, downtown Norwood, and Walpole is nothing to sneeze at. Buy rental property in downtown Norwood if this thing looks close to happening...you will be handsomely rewarded for your investment.
  • Factor in what you will how this affects the relative urgency of picking a stadium site if the state would accelerate this build. What would that do to help prime the Revs attendance in the 5-8 years in advance of a relocation. To either city.

Okee-doke. Now I'll duck out and leave you all to...whatever the hell this is. But you might want to consider:

• Providing some sober numbers as to why your stance is the correct stance if you're going to be counterpointing any of the above.
  • Intensity of belief is not the same as substantiation of a position.
  • Blaming everyone on the face of the earth (except yourself) for lack of sufficient imagination of force of will to move mountains does not bring anyone closer to a solution. DON'T COMPLAIN...PROPOSE A SOLUTION. Make yourself useful.
  • If you are unwilling or unable to cite demographic data to counter the asstons and asstons of demographic data put together by all manner of officially sanctioned parties who ARE proposing solutions instead of complaining, you are not making yourself useful either. Yes...when the state of Rhode Island itself says this is A-OK for all its transit demand needs till mid-century and makes that conclusion about the state's total growth ceiling, the burden is on you to cite numbers in counterpoint. Not launch into another screed about "this is how we can't have nice things" that says nothing about how we can get nice things, who needs the nice things and in what proportion, and how one negotiates nice things in any way other than rolling the tanks to paint the streets with the blood of the nonbelievers.
  • No, seriously. Get to work. If you don't want to do the legwork with reams of hard data available to every Internets user with a lot of time on their hands, please do be getting over yourself and your woe-is-me indignation at this unfair world that won't gift-wrap you nice things. A whole lot of manpower went to the trouble of crunching and serving up that data. The least you can do is let your own suppositions speak with data instead of just screaming "THE DATA IS CRAP!" If you can't even postulate why it's crap you're just expending a ton of energy saying nothing loudly.
  • Jesus Christ, people, it's only a message board. Let's not be saying stuff you can't walk back or come off so frothing unhinged this is what you end up being remembered for through your AB membership lifetime more than any other 'real' discussion contributed.

Last edited:

Back on the topic of the thread - I ate a hamburger at the Kennebunk Service Plaza yesterday.

No, wait... what is the topic again?

Back on the topic of the thread - I ate a hamburger at the Kennebunk Service Plaza yesterday.

Building a professional soccer stadium in Somerville, which is 5 minutes from Boston, right next to Cambridge, is booming with new rapid transit stations and over $2 billion in current construction. A poster from the highest unemployment rate state, that narrowly missed an S+P downgrading to junk status last month because it came up with another payment for Curt Schilling's debts at the last minute, wants it to be built in Providence because (after all that) he feels the taxpayers there will pony up more money to entice a soccer franchise to move there.

The hypothetical sports team from my city beats the hypothetical sports team from your city!

The thing about soccer is, I don't get why they don't just pick up the ball and run with it. Seems like someone could revolutionize the game with a move like that. Eating soup with a spoon while everyone else uses chopsticks....

The thing about soccer is, I don't get why they don't just pick up the ball and run with it. Seems like someone could revolutionize the game with a move like that.

They actually tried that way back in the 1800's. They called it "Rugby."

Can we let this thread take some time off? I want this to happen as much as the next guy, but this thread, instead of building an informed citizenry who can support a real effort is just wasting our time.

The thing about soccer is, I don't get why they don't just pick up the ball and run with it. Seems like someone could revolutionize the game with a move like that.
Stop it. You know that William Webb Ellis, already tried this at [the] Rugby School, 1823, and all you get is embarrassing plaque build-up.

The thing about soccer is, I don't get why they don't just pick up the ball and run with it. Seems like someone could revolutionize the game with a move like that. Eating soup with a spoon while everyone else uses chopsticks....

Since this thread has gone to hell in a handbasket... why not:
http://existentialcomics.com/comic/35

I for one am not looking forward to the fights that will break out when Woonsocket and Framingham start their bidding war over the next MLL franchise relocation.

t_HM9GhOOwbphp7DJWEa.jpg

The MLS commissioner is actually holding an excellent Q&A on Facebook right now. I and a few others have asked about a SSS for the Revs. The question about DC was answered. Let's see if he responds...

It's worth a look/read regardless as it outlines the future of the MLS and its clubs:

https://www.facebook.com/MLS/posts/10152543434018887

The MLS commissioner is actually holding an excellent Q&A on Facebook right now. I and a few others have asked about a SSS for the Revs. The question about DC was answered. Let's see if he responds...

It's worth a look/read regardless as it outlines the future of the MLS and its clubs:

https://www.facebook.com/MLS/posts/10152543434018887

James Paleologopoulos How likely do you feel a Revolution SSS will happen within the next decade?
1 · 41 mins

Major League Soccer (MLS) I believe it is very likely.

James Paleologopoulos How likely do you feel a Revolution SSS will happen within the next decade?
1 · 41 mins

Major League Soccer (MLS) I believe it is very likely.

Haha, I literally just copied that to paste here. Lame answer. I had phrased my question to try to get a response saying if the MLS wants it to happen.

"Is the MLS actively encouraging Bob Kraft to build a soccer specific stadium for the Revolution in the metro Boston area (Somerville, Revere, Everett, etc)? Gillette is too large and impossible to access without a car."

Back