New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

I think that's why a location just off 93 appeals to Kraft... If you can see it from the highway, then people know you can drive there so retain some South Shore fans while gaining city fans

^ Yeah, I hate sitting in the traffic to leave the supporters lot for up to a half hour sometimes and then stop-and-go on Rt 1, but I just love my Revs that I've been going to watch since the League began.

I too have Providence & CT-based friends that define "easy" as "not having to drive in Boston*." They are very upset of a potential move. People are really underestimating the severe demographic shift that will accompany the move.

*Boston defined as having to drive on the dreaded SE Exway they only hear about on the news.

^ Yeah, I hate sitting in the traffic to leave the supporters lot for up to a half hour sometimes and then stop-and-go on Rt 1, but I just love my Revs that I've been going to watch since the League began.

I too have Providence & CT-based friends that define "easy" as "not having to drive in Boston*." People are really underestimating the severe demographic shift that will accompany a move.

*Boston defined as having to drive on the dreaded SE Exway they only hear about on the news.

Wait, you're telling me that even at only 17K attendees there's STILL a half-hour wait to get out of the lot after a game, and STILL stop and go on Rte 1?

That's it, that settles it, now I am REALLY not going to a game there. You can't make me, you caaaaaan't make me.

I too have Providence & CT-based friends that define "easy" as "not having to drive in Boston*." People are really underestimating the severe demographic shift that will accompany a move.

No offence to the Rhodies and their friends but all of the demographics favor Boston over Foxboro -- the population density, income density, wealth density, education density all increase as you move up Rt-1 toward Boston -- draw a circle of say 10 mi around a Boston stadium and you fill it without needing Providence

Wait, you're telling me that even at only 17K attendees there's STILL a half-hour wait to get out of the lot after a game, and STILL stop and go on Rte 1?

That's it, that settles it, now I am REALLY not going to a game there. You can't make me, you caaaaaan't make me.

Depends on the game, but they use less lots, so you end up with loads of people packed into only a few lots all trying to leave at once.

We're actually on track to have the highest avg attendance since 1998 this season (and above the peak set in 2008). Currently sits at 17,771. Last game against TFC (08/01 - Week 22), we had 21,363 and have had 3 games so far this year over 20,000 (which is the Gillette "sell-out" capacity for Revs games). The game against NYCFC (07/18 - Week 20) had 28,811.

There is nothing easy about getting to Foxborough for the Revs. The MBTA doesn't run the commuter rail trains like they do for the Patriots, so you have to drive.

Easy would be a stadium that's near a rapid transit station.

Don't get me wrong, I favor an urban, RT accessible location. That said, I live in Boston, and for me, none of the suggested locations other than Roxbury are more convenient than Foxboro. I can get to a Revs game at Gillette in 30 minutes; Bunker Hill or Widett would take 35-40, and Suffolk Downs even longer.

Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in the city of Boston and they are as a group some of Football err Soccer's biggest fans

+ you've got Lawrence whose hispanic population must be comparable to Providence's [recent news story about 9-11 calls which claimed that 75% of Lawrence spoke Spanish]

Remember, a lot of these Hispanics have a lot more loyalty to their home club, or one of the big European clubs. Heck, I'd venture to say that more people in this area care about the European and Mexican league than they do about the Revs. If the Revs can remain competitive, they should have no problems drawing respectable crowds every game.

There is nothing easy about getting to Foxborough for the Revs. The MBTA doesn't run the commuter rail trains like they do for the Patriots, so you have to drive.

Easy would be a stadium that's near a rapid transit station.

As it relates to the Revs games, it doesn't need a transit link to be easy to get to. They draw a much smaller crowd than Gillette is built for so for people who drive, and believe it or not a lot of people like to drive when going to sporting events, it's a pretty easy in and out. That's why the Foxboro location appeals to those fans living in Rhode Island and Southern MA.

The Revs currently average something like 17k a game. How much higher will that push if they were to get their own stadium inside of Boston? I hope things turnout otherwise, but I don't see their average attendance rising to 23-25k a game just because they have a soccer specific stadium.

As of right now, it's very easy getting to and from a Revs game. You move the stadium into Boston and suddenly it's a lot tougher for those folks coming from the suburbs.

As mentioned, they may lose a decent amount of fans who live in RI, southern Mass and eastern CT. The only legit Revs fans I know live down in Providence and they're not all that happy about the new stadium being potentially built in Boston.

Not saying it's a direct correlation, but whenever there's an exhibition soccer game held at Fenway it is a sell-out (or very close). Just something to think about.

I too have Providence & CT-based friends that define "easy" as "not having to drive in Boston*." They are very upset of a potential move. People are really underestimating the severe demographic shift that will accompany the move.

There's a sorta tragedy in that. SE Mass and Providence was one of the hubs of the game in the US. Along with NE Jersey and St Louis. Provi, Fall River, and New Bedford begot some of the best American teams like the Marksmen or the Whalers from the 1900s-1930s. All the mills towns did to some extent, but the textile centers in particular - the game in England was very popular, very early on in Lancashire and the cotton mills in Manchester and the Scotland-England border, there was a decent amount of immigration in the early 1900s from these regions to American textile behemoths like Fall River and the immigrants brought the early game with them.

I hated driving to Foxborough growing up..hated it. I'm firmly in the camp in favor of a Boston location, but you gotta feel for the people down south. There're only a few places in the US that can lay claim to a near-century's worth of experience of the sport, SE Mass just happens to be one of them. It'd be great if Provi or Fall River got a proper team to themselves, but that's an utter impossibility given the structure of the league and the media market $$. I used to be of the opinion they should change the name to the "Marksmen", but at this point it feels a little bit like rubbing salt in Fall River's wounds.

Well, I'm posting this because it's a new article, but given how absent it is of new information, it sort of feels like I'm violating the general standard of not posting unless there's some news.

With that mea culpa:

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/...-must-seek-private-funding-instead-of-public/

Yeah I saw that this morning. It's literally just reposting all of the recent news. Total click-bait.

Save your time everyone. There is no substance whatsoever in this article.

Well, I'm posting this because it's a new article, but given how absent it is of new information, it sort of feels like I'm violating the general standard of not posting unless there's some news.

Send him to the gallows!

Put your hand on the table, we'll only take a few fingers this time

Save your time everyone. There is no substance whatsoever in this article.

Well, I already knew that when I saw "BostInno" in the URL.

But seriously, what do you guys think about a stadium in Providence?

I honestly doubt the market is worth it for a soccer stadium in Providence. I just imagine Boston has the demographics to support soccer that Providence does not. Especially for building an outright new stadium.

But seriously, what do you guys think about a stadium in Providence?

Sure, one in Providence and one in Boston. Seems doubtful they could both be MLS level, Providence could be a USL affiliate of the Revs a la the PawSox or the Wanna-Bs.

I bet that's not what you meant, was it?

^ I think that bit about PVD was sarcastic. Maybe you guys missed the train wreck in this thread from a couple months ago. I have PTSD from the experience.

^ I think that bit about PVD was sarcastic. Maybe you guys missed the train wreck in this thread from a couple months ago. I have PTSD from the experience.

Train wreck is an understatement and I was nervously anticipating it coming back for a roundtrip. Perhaps it's because I've met aaaaaa, but I'm pretty confident it was said out of sarcasm.

I mean....not to rekindle old arguments, but Provi could bring decent attendance to bear. You've got the colleges, and more importantly the Portuguese in RI, Fall River, New Bedford - probably one of the few longstanding footballing cultures in the US. There's a market to be tapped down Rhodie - will it ever happen, fuck no - but........is it a ridiculous idea (if we ignore media market money)?

I did miss the train wreck in this thread, I was not following the Revs stadium topic so closely. I was not trying to rekindle a train wreck (mixed metaphor alert) and I hate it when I find out I was overlooking sarcasm stemming from an inside joke. Aaah, I will get over it.

Non-sarcastically, you could track the growth in Soccer's popularity by looking at cities like Providence that are not far from a MLS city and watching when they get a minor league team. Harrisburg PA has a USL team, and Harrisburg is a bunch of steps down the ladder from Providence in overall size and hipness. It's just out farther from Philly and DC, that's all.

Come to think of it, Providence almost certainly has a better chance of landing a minor-league team if the Revs DO get a Boston stadium than if they don't. The Revs' USL affiliate is in Rochester NY - never gonna be in Providence with the team in Foxboro.

Back