New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

They aren't directly on the same land, and stadiums could fit next to each other. It would just be a little awkward

i don't understand the problem. Like Mongo said they are not on the same land so the Krafts could go ahead and build the venue for the Rev's. When and if Bos24 win the bid they can put the temp. Olympic stadium in Widett Circle and then use the Revs Stadium for one of the events. Am i missing something??

The stadia themselves don't conflict with each other, but the Revs stadium & parking would be on land that is slated for support buildings for the Olympic stadium.

FK4's post from the 2024 thread:
http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=224044&postcount=1317

the kraft stadium is proposed for the site north of widett circle, along the frontage road. here's images of the kraft proposal and just a re-post of an image probably already put up here of the olympic map. Also throwing in the copley-convention center rail shuttle proposal map, because with all the money spent on bridges and decking here it's not unreasonable to think the bridge necessary to support this shuttle could also be built.

I also want to point out that in the second image of the olympic map, there is another bridge over the cabot yards, connecting i-93 with roughly where D St hits Dot Ave. Also, someone commented further back about one of the olympic renderings showing a new bridge over fort point. Notice in the render here that the new bridge lines up with a series of parks (already planned out as part of prior ft pt developments) that stretch down to A St.

3 important maps:
staidum.jpg

stadium-map.jpg

Maybe Kraft could build a soccer stadium after 2024? Seems a long way off, though. The trouble is that the whole Olympic Blvd depends on an axis from Fort Point down to Widett. A Kraft stadium wouldn't absolutely prevent this, but it would occupy a lot of land next to the Olympic Stadium that might otherwise be used for Olympics-related activities... and potentially muck up some cool new boulevard leading down to a redeveloped Widett.

My bet is that Kraft will build the stadium but make some deal with 2024 to design it in some special way to accomodate some Olympic activities, and not preclude a boulevard ROW from Ft. Pt. Channel.

I figure that if Kraft builds a soccer stadium there that is would be used in and help any Olympics. As for those buildings, I'm sure that they are there to illustrate possible redevelopment opportunities and the Boston Olympics people don't have such specific needs or plans for their Olympic Stadium.

The stadia themselves don't conflict with each other, but the Revs stadium & parking would be on land that is slated for support buildings for the Olympic stadium.

The operative phrase here is "slated." We're talking about preliminary drawings coming from what's basically a feasibility study. I know we've all gotten used to referring to "the plan," but we're still pretty far away from the final plan. On top of that, we're talking about Kraft building a soccer stadium that might conflict with an Olympic stadium that Kraft would also be a part of (or solely in charge of, depending on the rumor you're herding) constructing. I'd bet that Kraft is coordinating these two projects with Kraft, seeing as they're the same person.

The Olympics happening is still a very big uncertainty, I'd much rather see Kraft build his stadium ASAP and have Boston 2024 work around it. I'm dying to take the T to a game.

Last edited:

Since the Krafts are one of the big bankrolls behind Boston 2024, I suspect he has a certain amount of influence over siting.

The Olympics happening is still a very big uncertainty, I'd much rather see Kraft build his stadium ASAP and have Boston 2024 work around it. I'm dying to take the T to a game.

Totally agree. Shape the Olympics around the SSS. It's decades overdue.

Gotta say, the BBJ article is about 99% speculation and 1% facts we already knew. The only thing that's new in there is the fact that Kraft has "advanced" negotiations with the city, but who knows how far negotiations have advanced?

My favorite part is:

"While both stadiums could fit in the swath of industrial property that runs along Route 93, which Boston 2024 has dubbed “Midtown,” a possible sticking point is whether residents of South Boston and the city’s nearby South End neighborhood would support the idea."

In other words: "There really isn't any reason why the stadiums couldn't exist side-by-side, we'll hypothesize some in order to drum up controversy." In reality, not only have large Olympic facilities been constructed next to existing and operating facilities (in Atlanta, for example, and in Tokyo in the near future), but it could actually make construction more efficient if the facilities were built in close sequence. Temporary traffic patterns and access points could theoretically stay in place from Kraft's project.

As you all know, I've been extremely optimistic about this since 2024 died and now it looks like it might have some teeth...

MLS Commish Don Garber just made some really bold statements yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/MLS/posts/10153500737813887?_rdr=p

"I've just seen the newest renditions. We are VERY focused on seeing that project through."

CLDlXmsVAAAZtOQ.jpg:large

Last edited:

Sounds to me like we might see something by years end? I'm assuming Downtown Boston means Widett.

Can you link to those tweets? I can't find them anywhere.

I'm assuming Downtown Boston means Widett.

Assume so. The use of "newest renditions" implies that it's the same location.

Can you link to those tweets? I can't find them anywhere.
The image above of the MLS Facebook chat came from Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/626252545279848449

Edit: Got the Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/MLS/posts/10153500737813887?_rdr=p

I'm assuming Downtown Boston means Widett.

Or (just speculation), it could mean: replacing City Hall Plaza with a restored street grid, an indoor Soccer Specific Stadium, ground-floor, street-facing retail, topped with an 800 foot residential/hotel/office tower, all with direct underground connections to Government Center Station?

Because that would be kind of cool. ;)

Or (just speculation), it could mean: replacing City Hall Plaza with a restored street grid, an indoor Soccer Specific Stadium, ground-floor, street-facing retail, topped with an 800 foot residential/hotel/office tower, all with direct underground connections to Government Center Station?

Because that would be kind of cool. ;)

You had me until "indoor" No thanks on an indoor soccer stadium.

Hmm, interesting. This article from May 29 got buried in all the Olympic coverage. Kraft wants Boston to build the stadium. This might not be as cut & dry as it looks, given how the public funding debate went for the Olympics:

One scenario Kraft has floated with City Hall is having Boston build and own a $200 million soccer stadium, according to a person close to the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks are ongoing. The debt would be repaid by a tax charged on tickets.

The advantage to Kraft is that the city can borrow money at lower interest rates than a business. The owner of the Revolution and New England Patriots is assuring city officials that he would structure the deal so Boston would not be at risk for any cost of the building, according to a second person with knowledge of the talks.

But the Walsh administration has not warmed to the idea of using public funds to build a sports arena. Such an arrangement is even more unlikely given that the mayor has been trumpeting how public financing would not be used for the Summer Games, except for infrastructure improvements.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...dium-boston/gVw7bo8YvMsTyF3ZMi5CYJ/story.html

Yeah, that's cool from a leverage point of view, but you'll be dealing with the C. 149 public building bid process and prevailing wages on the construction. This adds cost. Then you have to do a procurement process to award the lease, so its not just "Hey Bobby, here are the keys."

Sorry, the "tweeter" lost me at "grant it"

Yeah, that's cool from a leverage point of view, but you'll be dealing with the C. 149 public building bid process and prevailing wages on the construction. This adds cost. Then you have to do a procurement process to award the lease, so its not just "Hey Bobby, here are the keys."

Either way it gets complicated and potentially more expensive if it is city/state owned land that Kraft wants to build on. The alternative of going with a private landowner is then the city isn't already in agreement when you start to go through the BRA process.

Back