New FBI Headquarters | Everett Avenue | Chelsea

200_s.gif

I'm not a construction guy so excuse if my comment is dumb to some, but i wish they would throw all those lines underground since they're going to replace the roads anyway.

200_s.gif

I'm not a construction guy so excuse if my comment is dumb to some, but i wish they would throw all those lines underground since they're going to replace the roads anyway.

post 514 and following in the New Balance thread discusses undergrounding wires some.

Not sure how to link to a series of posts (or if it is possible), but the thread is at:

www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3811

The dark vertical details read like bars on a jail cell. I wonder if that was deliberate.

A hospital administrator is moving to Somerville:

His uglier and less sophisticated little brother--an FBI agent--is moving to Chelsea:

Sounds about right...

Partners is moving this summer into the somerville complex.

The FBI building's black walls look like they were painted with empty markers. In person the black seems faded (already).

Honestly that's pretty nice. Anything more extravagant and people would be calling it a waste of tax payer money.

I agree, particularly for an institutional building that has some pretty wonky security/ redundancy/communication requirements.

I agree, particularly for an institutional building that has some pretty wonky security/ redundancy/communication requirements.

+1.

C-O-N-T-E-X-T.

Honestly, I don't get all the disappointment from folks here regarding this building.

You'd think this was supposed to be the next coming of the HH Richardson in a Newbury Street-like area.

It's fucking Chelsea, people. And it is a building that, because of the tenant, must be built as a bunker to withstand earthquakes - - natural and man-made.

It's remarkably good, given the area and the circumstances. This is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
+1.

C-O-N-T-E-X-T.

Honestly, I don't get all the disappointment from folks here regarding this building.

You'd think this was supposed to be the next coming of the HH Richardson in a Newbury Street-like area.

It's fucking Chelsea, people. And it is a building that, because of the tenant, must be built as a bunker to withstand earthquakes - - natural and man-made.

It's remarkably good, given the area and the circumstances. This is a huge upgrade.

+100.

+1.

C-O-N-T-E-X-T.

It's fucking Chelsea, people.

So it's ok for this design to be built just because it's Chelsea? GTFO.
The ORIGINAL design that was presented to the city was 100 times better than this. By no means am I saying that they should have spent way more $ on this building, but they def could have made it LOOK a bit better.

So it's ok for this design to be built just because it's Chelsea? GTFO.
The ORIGINAL design that was presented to the city was 100 times better than this. By no means am I saying that they should have spent way more $ on this building, but they def could have made it LOOK a bit better.

OK Scorpio, please educate us why the federal government should spend additional tax dollars on a building off of Everett Ave in Chelsea in order to please your architectural palate. I'm interested in hearing your argument on this.

Are you afraid it is ruining the "ambience" of the area? Does it disturb the sensibilities of the Dunkin Donuts parking lot? Does it lessen the je ne sais quoi of the Market Basket?

It's not Newbury Street, Fort Point Channel or even Assembly Row (a better target for complaint is Partners Health)

This building significantly upgrades a so-so area.

Is it Rowe's Wharf or the Converse HQ? No., but this is a faaaar better building than what most people could have ever expected for that location.

Last edited:
OK Scorpio, please tell all of us why the federal government should spend additional dollars on a building in an industrial Chelsea area to put in details to please your architectural palate.

Are you afraid it is ruining the "ambience" of the area?

It's not Newbury Street, Fort Point Channel or even Assembly Row (a better target for complaint is Partners Health)

This building significantly upgrades a crappy area.

Seriously, what 'streetscape' or 'postcard view' are you fretting over there?

Is it Rowe's Wharf or the Converse HQ? No., but this is a faaaar better building than what most people could have ever expected for that location.

You obviously have a hard time reading. I never expected the FBI to break the bank for this building. I did, however, expected them to move forward with the original design that was much better and would have blended in more... the white and black just looks like a cheap jail cell.

And yes, I agree with you, chelsea is not close to any of other sites you mentioned, but the City does want to be "there" at some point and it could have started with this building... again, its just my opinion and nothing more.

The ORIGINAL design that was presented to the city was 100 times better than this.

I did, however, expected them to move forward with the original design that was much better and would have blended in more...

Pics?

All I could find in this thread is this one, which is really nothing more than a massing model:

This is the only one I have. It's from a Aug 2013 article.

FBI Chelsea 8/2013

Back