New Haven

Waterbury line upgrades a priority, commissioner says
By Paul Hughes

HARTFORD -- The state Department of Transportation is doing its best to accelerate the design and installation of a signalization system for the Waterbury rail line, DOT Commissioner James P. Redeker told state lawmakers today.

Sen. Robert Kane, R-Watertown, questioned Redeker about the status of planned upgrades to the Metro-North branch line running between Bridgeport and Waterbury during Redeker's confirmation hearing.

Redeker said it is “insane” that trains currently can only run in one direction at a time.

“So, we have to fix it. We're committed to it, and it is the first time we made that commitment,” he told members of the Executive and Legislative Nominations Committee.

The signalized line would allow north- and southbound trains to safely pass each other, and it would permit DOT to add rush hour and off-peak trains to a line that has been long neglected.

The DOT is adding pull outs to permit train traffic to flow in both directions.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2015/01/30/news/local/doc54ca8b37ee399487310863.txt

So the State of Connecticut is planning on pumping tens of billions into its infrastructure over the next few decades. Here's a list of Projects that were included in the plan which i'm sure will grow aswell.

CONNECTICUT’S BOLD VISION FOR A TRANSPORTATION FUTURE

Rail

Metro North / Western Connecticut

ELECTRIC FLEET REPLACEMENT
Future life-cycle replacement of existing electric fleet for use on New Haven Line
(NHL), Connecticut’s share.
$1,250,000,000

DIESEL FLEET REPLACEMENT
Replace existing diesel locomotives and coaches for use on New Haven Line (NHL).
$300,000,000

MAINTENANCE FACILITY AND YARD IMPROVEMENTS
Rehab and improve existing rail maintenance facilities and yards on New Haven Line
(NHL), including New Haven, Bridgeport and Stamford (finish catenary replacement).
$1,460,000,000

COMMUNICATIONS AND SIGNAL UPGRADES
Upgrade rail communications and signals on New Haven Line (NHL) to reach state
of good repair. Upgrades include positive train control (PTC), network infrastructure
upgrades, communication and signal system replacements and rail communications and
signal improvements for mainline and branch lines.
$1,120,200,000

CATENARY REPLACEMENTS AND POWER UPGRADES

Life-cycle replacement of superstructures and wiring (includes substations) due to age
and condition. Danbury Dock Yard is also included.
$700,000,000

FIXED RAIL BRIDGES - STATE OF GOOD REPAIR
Rehab and or replace all fixed rail bridges on New Haven Line (NHL) to attain state of
good repair. This includes all fixed rail bridges on mainline and branch lines.
$2,175,000,000

MOVABLE RAIL BRIDGES - STATE OF GOOD REPAIR
Rehab and or replace all movable rail bridges on New Haven Line (NHL) to attain state
of good repair.
$2,825,000,000

RAIL TRACK PROGRAM
Improvements and upgrades to existing tracks on New Haven Line (NHL) including
concrete tie repair, interlocking, drainage, track, ties, rail and road bed.
$1,680,000,000

EXISTING STATION AND PARKING IMPROVEMENTS
Improvements and upgrades to existing stations and parking on New Haven Line (NHL),
including mainline and branch line improvements.
$1,500,000,000

ELECTRIC FLEET EXPANSION
Expansion of existing electric fleet for use on New Haven Line (NHL).
$265,000,000

DIESEL FLEET EXPANSION
Expansion of existing diesel locomotives and coaches for use on New Haven Line
(NHL), including mainline and branch lines.
$230,000,000

NEW RAIL MAINTENANCE FACILITIES AND YARDS
ON BRANCH LINES

Construction of new rail maintenance facilities and yards on New Haven Line (NHL)
branch lines will allow for expanded branch line rail service to and from mainline.
$100,000,000

NEW RAIL MAINTENANCE FACILITY AND YARD FOR
INTERCITY RAIL SERVICE

A new intercity maintenance facility and storage yard in New Haven will allow for the
expansion of existing inter-city rail service to and from Washington, DC.
$500,000,000

NEW CANAAN BRANCH LINE IMPROVEMENTS

Significant improvements on New Canaan branch line service between Darien and
New Canaan to increase frequency and enhance service to and from mainline.
Improvements include Springdale siding, platform, and station improvements.
$45,000,000

ELECTRIFY DANBURY BRANCH LINE
Electrification of existing Danbury branch line service between South Norwalk and
Danbury would allow for extended one–seat ride service on New Haven Line (NHL).
$400,000,000

EXTEND RAIL SERVICE FROM DANBURY TO NEW MILFORD
This includes all of the estimated capital costs associated with extending rail service
from Danbury to New Milford without electrification.
$450,000,000

ELECTRIFY EXTENDED RAIL SERVICE FROM DANBURY
TO NEW MILFORD
This includes just the estimated electrification costs associated with extending rail
service from Danbury to New Milford.
$540,000,000

WATERBURY BRANCH LINE IMPROVEMENTS
Improvements to Waterbury branch line service between Bridgeport and Waterbury to
increase frequency and enhance service to and from mainline. Improvements include
completion of signalization, grade crossings, sidings, and station improvements.
$350,000,000

TRACK IMPROVEMENTS BETWEEN MILFORD AND NEW HAVEN
Restore four–track capacity between Milford and New Haven to increase capacity and
enhance service on New Haven Line (NHL).
$300,000,000

FULL CAPACITY NEW HAVEN LINE SERVICE
Realign Connecticut’s existing tracks and stations between New Haven and New York
to provide significant frequency and speed enhancements on New Haven Line (NHL).
This project would result in a two–track local and two–track express service on the
mainline, with center island platforms at key locations between New Haven and New
York. It includes communications and signal enhancements.
$2,000,000,000

NEW STATIONS AND PARKING
Construction of new stations and parking on New Haven Line (NHL). Includes
construction of new stations in Bridgeport (Barnum), Orange, and a new parking garage
in New Haven with pedestrian connections.
$200,000,000

Plan to convert Harold’s site in New Haven into apartments unveiled

EP-150519444.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Members of the Downtown-Wooster Square Management Team were shown a proposal on Tuesday from a development group looking to transform the old Harold’s Bridal Shop location on Elm Street into a five-story apartment building featuring ground-level retail space. Evan Lips - New Haven Register

By Evan Lips, New Haven Register

Posted: 05/19/15, 10:21 PM EDT | Updated: 23 hrs ago

NEW HAVEN >> Members of the Downtown-Wooster Square Management Team were shown a proposal on Tuesday from a development group looking to transform the old Harold’s Bridal Shop location on Elm Street into a five-story apartment building featuring ground-level retail space.

The site plan for 19 Elm St., unveiled by representatives from MOD Equities, calls for the creation of a mix of 46 one bedroom, two bedroom and duplex units.

Attorney Gregory P. Muccilli of Shipman & Goodwin LLP, counsel for MOD, said the building is envisioned to cater to the “kind of people who desire to walk, bike or use the train station to commute to work.”

The preliminary plan features 21 on-site parking spaces along with 40 secure bike storage spaces.

“We envision balconies with borrowed light, a rooftop deck and a common space where residents can congregate,” Muccilli said. “Our proposal for 19 Elm St. creates a desirable residential development in keeping with the neighborhood feel.

Read the rest here : http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150519/plan-to-convert-harolds-site-in-new-haven-into-apartments-unveiled#disqus_thread

Studios Planned Above Crown Street Garage

by Aliyya Swaby | Apr 16, 2015 12:58 pm

260crown-550x366.jpg

Aliyya Swaby Photo

The empty space above the parking garage next to BAR restaurant will soon become studio and loft apartments for lease.

The City Plan Commission Wednesday night reviewed and approved Metro 260 LLC’s site plans for the 12-unit, 9,325 square-foot, second-story space, which was originally designed for parking. The apartment complex does not yet have a name and lawyers said they did not know the estimated price range of the apartments.

Read More Here : http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/studios_planned_above_crown_street_garage/

^Disappointing. This kind of ivy league cliche says retreating into the past more than it says looking to the future. I would expect more from Yale than this kind of reaction.

^Disappointing. This kind of ivy league cliche says retreating into the past more than it says looking to the future. I would expect more from Yale than this kind of reaction.

With Robert A.M. Stern as the dean of the Yale architecture school, I'd expect nothing more imaginative than a neo-Gothic retread.

Look to other parts of Yale for contemporary architecture. There hasn't been an appetite for risk taking in the residential college system ever since the opening of the "ugly ducklings" Morse and Ezra Stiles nearly 50 years ago.

Visiting New Haven over the long weekend mostly to bike the Farmington Canal Trail. I’ve not previously spent much time here and am struck by the grandeur of Yale’s campus, the age of the buildings, the youthfulness of the people downtown, and the numerous pedestrian corridors. Photos are from a walk I took today and the bar at the top of the hotel I’m in.
4F213002-B9C3-4EE8-A51C-8CFA1066621D.jpeg
3D7E7FFD-D202-4371-920F-8A0AE55FC46F.jpeg
8E4897AE-C35D-4FA5-9D40-F0378971137B.jpeg
A3F18B4F-5224-48D9-ADCE-27AB8F1457AD.jpeg
443555D5-D39A-4BA9-8E94-AD4A27BF4579.jpeg
C3C176F2-2564-4FC9-9171-636F9C6A3F8B.jpeg
7406EB3E-7A41-40BE-856C-5851DBBDDB1E.jpeg

Visiting New Haven over the long weekend mostly to bike the Farmington Canal Trail.
Without getting too far off topic, what was your impression of the canal trail? I'm considering riding a good chunk of it this fall, but don't know anybody who has personal experiences on it.

Without getting too far off topic, what was your impression of the canal trail? I'm considering riding a good chunk of it this fall, but don't know anybody who has personal experiences on it.
I biked the round trip between New Haven and Lazy Lane in Southington which is roughly 46 miles. The trail was paved, wide, mostly flat, and well maintained. Intersections were marked and felt safe to cross.
There were multiple restaurants, a few cafes, and a couple breweries along the trail. I recommend Kinsmen Brewing if you like sour beer and big salads.
There was also an outdoor museum centered around the remnants of a lock on the old canal.
I rode a hybrid but would have been comfortable on my road bike.
I really enjoyed the ride and would like to do it again.

Highly recommend it. I live in downtown New Haven and do a 30 mile roundtrip ride a couple times a week. Easy access to the trail is such an amazing amenity to living in New Haven. The first mile or so is through the city, so there are about a dozen crossing at roads, but they are residential side streets and traffic is minimal. Drivers for the most part yield to bikers/joggers and all the crossings are clearly marked. On that note, New Haven drivers are more aggressive then Boston drivers so occasionally a car will blow through the crossings, just slow down and look before going. After that it is grade separated for the majority of the ride up north and well paved, heavily wooded/shaded with a few small hills.

There is a great brewpub called Mikro located in an old train depot right on the trail. Makes for a nice ride, beer and lunch, ride back. Kinsmen is an OK brewery about 20 miles up the trail. Its a good stop if you are up for a longer ride. After Kinsman there is about a 5 mile gap where you have to bike on streets until the trail picks back up all the way into MA.

Off topic but it was interesting to learn that New Haven is the birthplace of three pop music legends. Karen and Richard Carpenter (Carpenters) with 21 Billboard Top 40 hits, 15 AC #1 hits, 3 Grammys and over 110 million in worldwide records sales, and Michael Bolton with 16 Billboard Top 40 hits, 9 AC #1 hits, 2 Grammys and over 75 million in worldwide record sales. Wonder if there is a street, marker or statue recognizing their contributions to the world of music in the city?

Last edited:
I was curious about what upcoming development might occur in New Haven and am sharing a few proposals I found while searching. It’s worth noting many projects appear to have been completed in the last couple years.

Olive Street Apartments
This 14 story building would feature 136 apartments and be a quick walk from the State Street train station.
CCD76D67-39C2-4979-BD56-ACB810A8D0F4.jpeg

Winchester Green
287 apartments and street level retail built atop a surface parking lot at the former Winchester Arms Factory.
DEB1C505-59AA-4E4A-8A42-5FCB7674328B.jpeg

781 Whalley Avenue
245 apartments along the West River. This structure would replace what appears to be a derelict industrial building.
BC7194EA-974D-4B14-9E98-CA567D24A05B.jpeg

Blake Street
A mix of new construction and office to apartment conversion, this project would create 144 new apartments.
8D4D46CC-8FD4-4649-A48F-FBFFFD6BED34.jpeg

Former Coliseum Site
Nearly every city has a site that attracts major proposals but resists actual construction. This appears to be that site in New Haven. After demolition in 2007 of a sports/entertainment venue known as the Coliseum, at least two major projects have been proposed for the site. Reportedly, phase one of the most recent iteration, which would include 200 apartments and retail, could begin this year.

80102C79-34DF-4FE6-A55D-7B2B2004F652.jpeg

It’s worth noting many projects appear to have been completed in the last couple years but my focus in this post is proposals.

Back