New Ideas for the Site

It's purely by join date, I believe. (Which sounds a little silly to me)

I personally like the low hurdle for 'senior member' status. More egalitarian and lowers the barrier for meaningful participation and acceptance (yes, even something as stupid as membership levels has a psychic effect especially on new participants).

Most of the forums I've used (and managed) used a 100-300-500-1000-2000 structure.

I don't mind the membership levels concept, although, I hardly ever seen posts from someone who isn't a "senior member."

I just noticed that i am a senior member... makes me feel important, even thought i have only ever taken part in one major argument!

Someone needs to take the "Photo of the Day" threads and just make them a Tumblr already.

Is there a way to build or enable a mobile site version?

I've been meaning to make the site mobile-ready for a while. I'll look into it.

What makes you think there's a built-in default mobile skin, datadyne? This is news to me.

What makes you think there's a built-in default mobile skin, datadyne? This is news to me.

I used to have a vB license. It might just be only on vB 4, but I'm pretty sure 3.7 came bundled with a mobile skin. Is it not listed in the styles? I might have d/l'ed it separately. Can't remember.

The mobile and social media connectivity was one of the reasons I switched to IPB 3 though. It's instantly mobile-ready.

The site could function as a thoughtful pro-development think tank that throws its weight around in letters to the BRA, media, etc. to counteract NIMBY proposals like the shadow law. A slicker homepage would certainly help, but these are largely efforts that would go beyond web design and largely only be archived here.

I really think the forum should be the main focus, but I also want this place to have an area which makes it THE go to place for information about development and planning: no digging through discussions required, just straight up plans and photos/renders/maps.

What happened to these ideas? I thought they were spot on and would do well in expanding the usability and popularity of the community, as well as building influence in the development community. I don't want to see the forum and close-knot discussion ended, but I think there is plenty of room for evolution.

What happened to these ideas? I thought they were spot on and would do well in expanding the usability and popularity of the community, as well as building influence in the development community. I don't want to see the forum and close-knot discussion ended, but I think there is plenty of room for evolution.

I was going to make some page mockups, but I was in my final semester of school at the time and studio was crazy.

I have time now as one of the thousands of unemployed (career-wise) architecture grads, so I'll try to make one soon.

Even more so than a change in design; the forum needs a tweak in functionality in order to support broader, pro-development activism and pertinent development information. I'd volunteer, but soon I'll be back in Missouri and it's simply too difficult to stay up to date on Boston development from a distance.

How about an accountibility site.

A breakdown for each development
#1 Proposed Development (Pictures of the proposed Development)
#2 Pictures of the actual Development in process
#3 Architects involved in the project (linked to their websites)
#4 Developer/Builders (Linked to their websites)
#5 BRA (plan for the area, whos envoled, who can we contact)
#6 Value of the Land Area (transit for the location)
#7 Breakdown on the numbers for the entire project.
#8 Message board for comments (thumbs up & down)
#9 Then a rating for the development

(A breakdown for each development) A list of who is involved

Then a giant map for what is getting built in the city of Boston

Just an idea.

We need a like button for posts and and the ability to tally likes by member.

Back