New Ideas for the Site

I'd like to suggest a "Next unread thread" link at the bottom of thread pages, which would go to "last unread post in the most recently updated unread thread in the current forum". I've been on other forums that have this and it's quite useful. If we have similar functionality in place and I just haven't found it, please let me know.

Could we get a Worcester / Central Mass and Providence / Rhode Island section? Looks like forum activity for these cities isn't what it used to be, but would be nice to foster it back.

Could we get a Worcester / Central Mass and Providence / Rhode Island section? Looks like forum activity for these cities isn't what it used to be, but would be nice to foster it back.

I agree. While neither threads are as active as just one of Portland's projects, it would make it easier to separate out the various projects vs all being stuck in a single thread that it may be difficult at times to filter which project is being discussed.

A while back the mods were talking about a reorganization like this. Sort of petered out. Can put it back on the table again.

Subforums have been updated. Feel free to start posting. Mod team will start organizing threads over the next few days. We'll put a sticky "what's the subforum for?" thread at top of each new Sub. Happy posting!

Is there any way to get the images to include height and width in their tags? It’s really annoying when the page reflows every time an image loads.

Is there anyway we could set it up so that us users could rate projects like give a rating of 1 to 5 stars or something to each project.

Was just thinking it would be cool to see where each project stands for us as a group. Kinda like how we can rate movies on IMBD and Netflix etc.

Also what about a current construction photo and a photo of the lastest design being posted at the top of each project thread? So we can quickly see what the latest proposal and status without having to search for it every time.

Just a couple of thoughts/ideas. 😀

Well, the second idea is one that comes up a lot. It's a good idea but there doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to do it.

Any possibility we can update the "Post thread" functionality a bit to prompt potential thread starters to: a) search for existing relevant project threads before starting a new one, and b) use established thread naming conventions? I feel like there have been bunch of duplicate project threads started lately, and the majority of them don't even attempt to follow aB thread naming conventions. This results in either duplicate messy threads or work for mods to clean it all up.

I'm picturing a few required checkbox prompts like:
  • I have searched Google for "archboston [topic/project name]" to check if a thread for this topic or project already exists
  • This project thread follows the naming convention of "[Project Name] | [Address] | [Neighborhood]"
Thoughts?

Any possibility we can update the "Post thread" functionality a bit to prompt potential thread starters to: a) search for existing relevant project threads before starting a new one, and b) use established thread naming conventions? I feel like there have been bunch of duplicate project threads started lately, and the majority of them don't even attempt to follow aB thread naming conventions. This results in either duplicate messy threads or work for mods to clean it all up.

I'm picturing a few required checkbox prompts like:
  • I have searched Google for "archboston [topic/project name]" to check if a thread for this topic or project already exists
  • This project thread follows the naming convention of "[Project Name] | [Address] | [Neighborhood]"
Thoughts?

I have no idea if Xenforo supports this, but the naming could actually be done in a form with boxes for Project Name, Address, and Neighborhood and formatted procedurally.

We also have issues with typos, capitalization, etc. (including some of my own that I fix later sheepishly).

I was this many years old when I learned that the first poster can actually edit the thread title by editing the first post.

Love the site! A few ideas to throw out there:

1. Make an app for mobile users.
2. Speed up load times, especially when users upload large and many pics.
3. Show project thread stats. E.g., most viewed thread, most active thread, etc.
4. Have a map showing active projects and their thread post counts.

Is it possible to get :rolleyes: added to the reaction buttons?

Or better yet, I've seen some forums that have a 'plus' button that brings you to the full slate of emojis. That would be nice if possible.

Is there a way moderators can pin the renders or project plans (which ever is available) for a project thread? I know for some of the longer threads at some point it is hard to find the latest renders, sketches or plans. It would be nice if there was a way to pin the renders so they are always on page 1 or top of every page.

It might be helpful to have the projects' uses (ie office/residential/lab/hotel/etc) as well as updated heights and/or floor counts directly in the thread titles. With so many projects going on I often feel like I'm clicking into threads blindly trying to find ones I'm looking for.

Back