New Red and Orange Line Cars

The Blue Line cars have roof-mounted HVAC units also.

Most of that's actually electrical supporting the pantographs. Note the 0600 series also had roof mounts despite being identical to the current Orange cars. Orange 01200's were also built (for the Reading extension) to have the same roof mounts added if they gained pantographs.

The Blue Line cars have roof-mounted HVAC units also.

The large box that sits on the large indentation at the B-end of the carbody on the Blue Line cars and future Red and Orange Line cars is indeed the self-contained HVAC unit.

Most of that's actually electrical supporting the pantographs. Note the 0600 series also had roof mounts despite being identical to the current Orange cars. Orange 01200's were also built (for the Reading extension) to have the same roof mounts added if they gained pantographs.

Yeah, I remember the cable that was secured to the roof of the cars, but they were never used.

The large box that sits on the large indentation at the B-end of the carbody on the Blue Line cars and future Red and Orange Line cars is indeed the self-contained HVAC unit.

Yup! Earlier cars had the unit mounted underneath the floors on them. This presented problems and they were often difficult to service.

The existing Orange Line cars, as well as the old Blue Line cars are like that.

Last edited:
5eCjT2Ph.png

UDusUJDh.png

DV5wQ40h.png

KNMqp9Ah.png

Something seems amiss here.

In the pic of the car's interior, it shows yellow wall panels at the end of the car. Also the poles. is this for safety reasons?

I thought that the interior was supposed to be the same color as the seats. Orange. :confused:

In the pic of the car's interior, it shows yellow wall panels at the end of the car. Also the poles. is this for safety reasons?

I thought that the interior was supposed to be the same color as the seats. Orange. :confused:

They should class the interior up a bit. Made a nice faux-wood veneer or something.

The yellow is required for high contrast visibility for people who are visually impaired. Poles can no longer be plain brushed nickel or match the color of seats. They must stand out in contrast to their surroundings.

Also, this is a prototype of only 2/3 of a full car. Things are subject to change.

We need some cloth seats, also the factory should employ some resident hobos to stink them up before they are brought into service!

One a more serious note, I have been wondering why they couldn't get 4 doors per side on the OL - seems like it would help a lot on crowding, and the OL rolling stock is only what, 4 feet shorter than the RL ?

One a more serious note, I have been wondering why they couldn't get 4 doors per side on the OL - seems like it would help a lot on crowding, and the OL rolling stock is only what, 4 feet shorter than the RL ?

With 64-inch wide doorways? On the A-cars, there wouldn't be any space for windows between each door pocket. It would certainly be possible on the B-cars, though.

With 64-inch wide doorways? On the A-cars, there wouldn't be any space for windows between each door pocket. It would certainly be possible on the B-cars, though.

Or maybe do 4 doors but not quite so ultra wide (isn't most everyone else going with around 50" doors).

The reason why the MBTA specified 64 inches is because if a single door leaf fails, a wheelchair can still pass through.

The reason why the MBTA specified 64 inches is because if a single door leaf fails, a wheelchair can still pass through.

I realize that, but, afiak, the MBTA are the only agency to have such a requirement. I am just wondering if a 4 door, not as wide setup would overall work better most of the time - vs the ultra wide 3 door setup. I really have to think, in all my years of riding the T, that a single side door failure and a wheel chair at that door isn't the most common thing.

You know what is common though, is people standing in the doorway of a packed train/platform while a zillion people try to file past. Hopefully the wide doors will ease that choke-point considerably.

That said, more doors means less distance between doors which means an easier time loading and unloading cars and less clustering near doors. I guess there is a trade-off there. Maybe its a wash.

They should class the interior up a bit. Made a nice faux-wood veneer or something.

The present fleet of cars on the Orange Line have that scheme, as did the older Blue Line cars. Looks like they are getting away from that. Maybe they are looking at it as being old, worn out & tired.

If you notice, none of the Red Line cars have it & neither do the new Blue Line cars. The Type 8's on the Green Line don't have it either. :cool:

I realize that, but, afiak, the MBTA are the only agency to have such a requirement. I am just wondering if a 4 door, not as wide setup would overall work better most of the time - vs the ultra wide 3 door setup. I really have to think, in all my years of riding the T, that a single side door failure and a wheel chair at that door isn't the most common thing.

The Orange cars are going to have 3 door pairs, while Red will have 4. Stubbier car length is just a bridge too far for cramming a 4th set on Orange with how much it would reduce seating capacity.

Or maybe do 4 doors but not quite so ultra wide (isn't most everyone else going with around 50" doors).

The standard design for all styles of the OL cars has always been 3 doors on each side. This goes all the way back to the early days of the El.

Just like 2 on each side for the BL cars & four on each side for the RL cars.

The present fleet of cars on the Orange Line have that scheme, as did the older Blue Line cars. Looks like they are getting away from that. Maybe they are looking at it as being old, worn out & tired.

If you notice, none of the Red Line cars have it & neither do the new Blue Line cars. The Type 8's on the Green Line don't have it either. :cool:

That was the joke. :)

Back