New Red and Orange Line Cars

I feel like more people need to see this picture that somebody in China made

DL8voCBW4AU7U6l.jpg:large

Looked to me like they were going faster than the Orange Line most mornings!

Don't you feel so glad to know that in just a flew more years that those old Relics of the Dinosaur Age will soon start to disappear & be replaced with brand new shiny cars?!! I do!! :cool:

Hum... Taoist sword gesture pointing the way to conquering Boston.

At this point, I'm almost for that - - bring em' in, they get stuff done. Instead of our local leaders creating more and more "study" committees for things that needed to be done decades ago like the NSRL.......

At this point, I'm almost for that - - bring em' in, they get stuff done. Instead of our local leaders creating more and more "study" committees for things that needed to be done decades ago like the NSRL.......

It will certainly be a pleasure seeing the Orange & Red Line cars in use! It'll be a first for the new Orange Line trains, getting new public station announcements with GPS - something that the line has never had before in its entire history!! :cool:

It will certainly be a pleasure seeing the Orange & Red Line cars in use! It'll be a first for the new Orange Line trains, getting new public station announcements with GPS - something that the line has never had before in its entire history!! :cool:

Why do you think the announcement system is GPS based? Trains have a defined route, can easily have wireless sensor triggers for station announcements along the route; and much of the Orange Line is underground where GPS does not work.

GPS announcements makes sense for buses out in the open, that get used on multiple routes, but rarely for subway trains, particularly trains on lines with dedicated rolling stock. (Maybe for above ground Green Line use, but again the tunnels are issues.)

Why do you think the announcement system is GPS based? Trains have a defined route, can easily have wireless sensor triggers for station announcements along the route; and much of the Orange Line is underground where GPS does not work.

GPS announcements makes sense for buses out in the open, that get used on multiple routes, but rarely for subway trains, particularly trains on lines with dedicated rolling stock. (Maybe for above ground Green Line use, but again the tunnels are issues.)

Yeah- the hold up for tracking/etc on the Green was that they had the GPS system for above ground, but needed something for the tunnels. GPS tracking seems to work well on the High Speed line though - whenever they are actually running trains that is. I would think for something like the Orange Line they could use newer gen RFID tags to track where things are, or a host of other things.

What is it with authoritarianism and train schedules?

Dictatorships are the most efficient form of government. Democracies the least.

I'll take our democratic republic over a dictator, thank you.

Dictatorships are the most efficient form of government. Democracies the least.

I'll take our democratic republic over a dictator, thank you.

That's a nice excuse. We cannot have an efficient, progressive future because only Dictatorships can do that?

Mindless NIMBY-ism doesn't = "Democracy"

The Dumbing Down of America continues.........

Dictatorships tend not to be efficient, by the way. They tend to be nepostistic kleptocracies. Hopefully, we don't go down that road.

Dictatorships tend not to be efficient, by the way. They tend to be nepostistic kleptocracies. Hopefully, we don't go down that road.

Dictatorships can be very efficient... not sure Democracies can ever be as efficient because of the consensus model of governing.

Good Democratic systems are great for ensuring stability and consistency between leadership changes across large swaths of time. Stability comes at the cost of fast progress on issues. but it also means you're rarely getting massive economic valleys or social freedom valleys. Rule of law is heavily respected.

Dictatorships are great if you have enlightened leadership. The problem is grooming and maintaining an enlightened leadership is difficult... for half a century you may have a brilliant King, Queen or Dictator and then the next half you have a moron or tyrant. Rule of leadership is all that matters and it suffers under poor leadership.

The Chinese seem to be slowly working on how to make an Authoritarian regime work out across transitions. Corruption still exists... just like it exists here. That's an orthogonal issue in my mind.

I do not believe Democracy is "The One Truth Path". I do think it's the best system we have right now and have had for the last five hundred or so years.

Back