New Red and Orange Line Cars

Because we need to change the subject... project update at the FMCB yesterday:

https://d3044s2alrsxog.cloudfront.n...-fmcb-red-orange-line-vehicle-procurement.pdf

I hadn't realized what running this project entails for folks - 1 week in China, 2 weeks here. For years. Not to mention the Springfield CRRC employees who are being trained there. It's an undertaking.

On track for testing delivery in December, revenue service in December '18. Red Line trails by one year.

Thanks for the updated info, Equilibria!

We are getting closer to see the new railcars on the Orange Line. :cool:

Now lets expand some of the rail lines seeing that we will have a new stock of cars and really bring our transit system to world class. That along with DMU's on the fairmount and out to places like Waltham will really make places farther from the the city become closer due to rapid transit. We have to do it theres no questions about it.

Now lets expand some of the rail lines seeing that we will have a new stock of cars and really bring our transit system to world class. That along with DMU's on the fairmount and out to places like Waltham will really make places farther from the the city become closer due to rapid transit. We have to do it theres no questions about it.

You paying? It's never happening. The GLX is the last major outward expansion the MBTA subway will ever see. It's just too prohibitively expensive to and no politicians want to put their name to it.

You paying? It's never happening. The GLX is the last major outward expansion the MBTA subway will ever see. It's just too prohibitively expensive to and no politicians want to put their name to it.

It may look this way in 2017 with the current crop of politicians and this current national mood, but the pressures on any city hoping to be viable by 2025 will quickly turn this around. Even non-transit fans will see expansion as inevitable as Boston's peer-reference group becomes more global and we see how far behind the rest of the developed world we are falling in terms of infrastructure. And, of course, technologies have a way of making seeming impossibilities possible. I doubt MBTA will ever be world class, but expansion is necessary just to stay in the game.

The "now lets see..." discussion is for another thread. I'd suggest any that involve the Blue Line extended to Charles MGH or Lynn (for our last "subway extension in our lifetime", or the soon-to-be-released plan for electrification of Commuter Rail and NSRL (short headways will revolutionize it)

Never? That's pretty final, no? I don't disagree that you won't see one soon. I think you'll see far more investment in improving existing infrastructure and making improvements to the central part of the system (i.e. NSRL, Red/Blue connector, etc.) in the near future. It's difficult to argue that we should extend a network that isn't running efficiently in its current form. That's one of the reason politicians won't put their name to it.

But after investment to improve service on the existing network pays dividends, You will probably see pushes to extend outward again. There are too many good opportunities to extend rapid transit to dense, urban neighborhoods. Blue Line to Lynn, Orange Line out to Hyde Park or even a Braintree-esque terminus at University Station, Urban Ring, or any of the other transit pitches we've made thrown out there. I definitely wouldn't say never.

Never? That's pretty final, no? I don't disagree that you won't see one soon. I think you'll see far more investment in improving existing infrastructure and making improvements to the central part of the system (i.e. NSRL, Red/Blue connector, etc.) in the near future. It's difficult to argue that we should extend a network that isn't running efficiently in its current form. That's one of the reason politicians won't put their name to it.

But after investment to improve service on the existing network pays dividends, You will probably see pushes to extend outward again. There are too many good opportunities to extend rapid transit to dense, urban neighborhoods. Blue Line to Lynn, Orange Line out to Hyde Park or even a Braintree-esque terminus at University Station, Urban Ring, or any of the other transit pitches we've made thrown out there. I definitely wouldn't say never.

Exactly, although, I would think the Orange Line is going to Westie via Rozzie square (which is even on the City's radar at this point), not to Hyde Park.

Highway conjestion alone, bolstered by all the developments in the region, will be enough to spur transit expansions at some point. Its just a matter of waiting until the short term political and economic costs are lower than the short term political and economic gains.

Great to here!

Commuters may see them pass by at station platforms, but they won't be stopping there until the testing is done in about a year from now.

As the new railcars begin coming into service, we will gladly see the old Relics of the Dinosaur Age gradually disappear off the tracks for good! :cool:

Can someone point me to a resource detailing signal changes/upgrades to the Red Line? I understand new cars won't be hitting the line until late 2019 (at the earliest). Is there anything being done in the nearer term?

Can someone point me to a resource detailing signal changes/upgrades to the Red Line? I understand new cars won't be hitting the line until late 2019 (at the earliest). Is there anything being done in the nearer term?

Here is a link to the notice requesting letter of intent to bid.

http://bc.mbta.com/business_center/bidding_solicitations/current_solicitations/?id=6442457659

Contract is supposed to be issued some time soon. But completion is not anticipated until 2021. Signals won't help much before new rolling stock is in service anyway (other than reliability).

I thought that I read somewhere that this would be included with the purchase of the new railcars.

I thought that I read somewhere that this would be included with the purchase of the new railcars.

They are being done on parallel timelines. More like they go well together (can't quite call it "included").

The new trains' faster acceleration and quicker braking will mean that the new trains can take advantage better of the signals and that the signals will deliver better value given the number and performance of the new fleets.

They should've had the system in place when the orange line was being rebuilt through the Corridor. Bad timing on their part. Now it going to cost even more for the upgrade!

They should've had the system in place when the orange line was being rebuilt through the Corridor. Bad timing on their part. Now it going to cost even more for the upgrade!

Huh? The new signal technology they are going to use now wasn't there when the EL was replaced, and they did implement ATC (just like on the Red) when it was shifted?

Back