New Red and Orange Line Cars

Sure, I get that - just saying it ain't GPS, and I wouldn't really say the Orange is last to get it (considering that most of the Red doesn't have it, and I don't think the pre-overhaul Type-7s have it). The technology is there today on the line for tracking/station arrival/etc.

You are right!

The present & existing #1500 & #1600 cars don't feature GPS. They came into service in the late '60s and the late '80s.

Only the #1800 (stainless steel) cars have GPS. Yes, ALL of the Type 7s have it, even the ones that have not been overhauled yet. It was the earlier Type 6 LRVs that didn't have it. :cool:

1. The Orange Line already has train tracking technology. Don't believe me? Click this link to see the location of every Orange (and Red/Blue/Green) Line train. It just doesn't have the displays and automated voice announcements because the trains are old and busted.

2. MBTA trains don't use GPS for location tracking. GPS doesn't work underground, so it would be a dumb way to try to track trains in tunnels.

1. The Orange Line already has train tracking technology. Don't believe me? Click this link to see the location of every Orange (and Red/Blue/Green) Line train. It just doesn't have the displays and automated voice announcements because the trains are old and busted.

2. MBTA trains don't use GPS for location tracking. GPS doesn't work underground, so it would be a dumb way to try to track trains in tunnels.

Just several years ago, you couldn't use your cellular phones in the tunnel. You had to be on the monthly plan with such providers as Verizon or AT&T.

Prepaid phone service could not be used in the tunnel. That was so unfair! Now, that is not the case.

Just several years ago, you couldn't use your cellular phones in the tunnel. You had to be on the monthly plan with such providers as Verizon or AT&T.

Prepaid phone service could not be used in the tunnel. That was so unfair! Now, that is not the case.

Two totally different sets of technology.

GPS requires triangulation off of signals from 3 satellites to determine position. You are not going to put satellites in the tunnels.

Cellular requires access to a cell transceiver. You can put microcells in the tunnels, and provide service.

Which cellular service is supported is a business not technology issue. The carriers have to have contracts with the operators of the microcells to allow service in the tunnels.

Two totally different sets of technology.

GPS requires triangulation off of signals from 3 satellites to determine position. You are not going to put satellites in the tunnels.

Cellular requires access to a cell transceiver. You can put microcells in the tunnels, and provide service.

Which cellular service is supported is a business not technology issue. The carriers have to have contracts with the operators of the microcells to allow service in the tunnels.

Really? Seriously?! No kidding! Just saying. :rolleyes:

IIRC it's 4 satellites minimum for gps, three position coordinates and clock deviation from satellite time.

4 is preferred for accuracy, but you can get decent, but less accurate, x-y position out of 3 (enough to track a trolley or a bus on a defined route).

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if the first 4 new railcars for the Orange Line are on there way here? Tried to find out, but couldn't :confused:

Can anyone tell me if the first 4 new railcars for the Orange Line are on there way here? Tried to find out, but couldn't :confused:

They should be somewhere on the Pacific Ocean right now.

Thanks.

That would mean that they'd have to be transported to here on land as well. :eek:

Through the Panama Canal?! Then that must've been how the mockup came as well, & all else before.

Last edited:
THEY'RE HERE!!!

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/941706481514065920

DRGdCtnU8AISWgs.jpg

DRGdCtnVoAAVZz-.jpg

DRGdCtpUQAAguAv.jpg

Edit more from the T:

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/941725295979192323

DRGuJ24U8AAkfCI.jpg

DRGuJ27VoAA2rAE.jpg

Last edited:
A nice little early Christmas gift. Did they ever end up putting the 2/3rds length models on permanent public display? I remember rumors that they would in North Station, but never heard anything after than.

A nice little early Christmas gift. Did they ever end up putting the 2/3rds length models on permanent public display? I remember rumors that they would in North Station, but never heard anything after than.

I was also told that by a T official last spring (April) when the mockup was on display at City Hall Plaza. Don't now how true it is, then I was told by another T official that it wasn't going to happen!

Someone got their wires crossed!! :mad:

It's interesting that they choose not to deliver them to Conley Terminal.

Is that because the ships serving New Jersey have more convenient connections to the appropriate port in China?

It appears that the subway cars were probably shipped on a container ship, but not in shipping containers, and clearly Orange Line cars are longer than a standard 40' shipping container. Do the Orange Line cars turn out to be too heavy for any crane at Conley?

Don't know, but it seems like THESE cranes were able to do the job of getting them off the ship with no problems. :cool:

Back