New Red and Orange Line Cars

Amtrak needs that on THEIR train doors. There are very BIG gaps between THEIR doorways & the platforms!!! I hope that the new Acela trains will have them!!:mad:

Yes they will have little extendable bridge things built in

Any automation on the door lips is going to be subject to these variances in air ballast pressure. If the ballast pressure is high (i.e. door raised above platform) they'll be fine. But it won't work if the car slips slightly below the platform level and the auto bridge plate bangs into the platform edge...something that is most likely to happen on very cold mornings or soon after a cold start. You still need the manual traps at every station to back everything up, though if this works even 30-40% of the time it's enough of a time-saver to have done its job. No...there isn't really anything that can be done about it. Most HRT systems in cities with large temperature swings have to put up with some degree of air ballast variance, so regardless of what % of their trips hit absolute level perfection they all have to bake in operational allowances for variance.

I wonder why no train system has tried the ramp that flips out every time, rather than a ramp that extends out.

As long as the car is taller than the platform, it works, every time.

Only places Ive seen it is on BRT buses

curitiba14.jpg

You can see on the front door which didnt "dock", the bridge it outside the doors. The large size of the ramp means it needs to be less exact. They deploy every single time, so no need for driver assistance.

Vancouver%2Bresidents%2Bcould%2Bsave%2Bmoney%2Bon%2Bgas%2Band%2Bparking%2Bby%2Busing%2Brapid%2Bbus%2Blines%2Blike%2Bthis%2BCuritiba%2Bsystem.jpg

Got my first ride on the new Orange Line train during the evening rush hour (Oak Grove bound - riding on car 1402). Overall, really impressed with the new trains for all the reasons outlined by others. You can clearly see a not insignficant number of people excited to see the new train when it appears on the platform.

Only concern, when the train got to Assembly, the doors opened to let passengers off as normal, but then seemed to close almost immediately and unexpectedly as passengers were still exiting. (Boarding customers never even had the chance to walk on. We stood by for about 2 minutes while the operator tried to reopen and close the doors to complete the boarding/allighting process, to which he was ultimately successful. The stop at Wellington, where I got off, seemed to go smoothly with the doors opening on both sides like normal.

Something to keep an eye on. Hopefully, the door issue is just isolated to this run or this train and doesn't become a wider issue with the whole CRRC order.

Saw the new orange line train in the T yard under the Traveler St bridge between southend and south Boston. I walk over this bridge every Sunday for breakfast, but first time I saw it.

Untitled by S S, on Flickr

Just two cars. Is this part of a new delivery, or is it from one of the existing sets that we've already seen in service?

Just two cars. Is this part of a new delivery, or is it from one of the existing sets that we've already seen in service?

First two OL pilot cars, which have to go back to Springfield for modifications that are too intensive to do onsite at Wellington. Since the pair is going to leave the property for several months anyway, it was no biggie to let Red borrow them for a little bit. Though with the rate of non-progress on the test track it doesn't sound like they're going to milk the bonus time at Cabot to the benefit they originally hoped before it's time to ship them back to Western MA for finishing school.

What grade will these 2 cars be graduating from? just kidding. Hah!

Does anyone know when the next set of new OL cars will enter revenue service? I thought that there would be at least one a month put to work.

What grade will these 2 cars be graduating from? just kidding. Hah!

Does anyone know when the next set of new OL cars will enter revenue service? I thought that there would be at least one a month put to work.
Haven't even got 6 delivered yet so not soon. Last update I heard was 2 out of 6 cars needed for a set were on their way to Wellington. Not sure why production seems to have managed to slow down instead of ramping up. Once they get six on site they'll need at least a few weeks of testing. So November at the very earliest imo.

Haven't even got 6 delivered yet so not soon. Last update I heard was 2 out of 6 cars needed for a set were on their way to Wellington. Not sure why production seems to have managed to slow down instead of ramping up. Once they get six on site they'll need at least a few weeks of testing. So November at the very earliest imo.
Perhaps the door issue slowed things down?

Anything that caused a delay or discrepancy of some fashion, it should be included as part of the testing, to make sure that it gets fixed & does not cause or become a problem later while in service, in order to avoid any delays & slow down the delivery into revenue service. :)

Saw a rather depressing sight last evening at Tufts Medical Center.

A new trainset pulled in heading direction Oak Grove at about 5:50 PM. I did not catch the number because I was on the other platform. The trainset had a dead car. Third car in the set was dark and not taking passengers.

Dead car on a brand new trainset? Really?

Still some chinks in the chain have to be worked out. That can happen. Once a problem is found or spotted, the T has to stay on it & follow it up to make that it gets taken care of, or there may be some serious repercussions later! You don't want that.

It was that way with the old cars. They just close it off, but let it run, instead of trying to fix it or take it out of service, which may cause even more down time & delays.

I think that's the whole point of what it means to be in testing: if there's a teething problem that's likely isolated to a single car, you close it off and keep testing all the other stuff on all the other cars.

Saw a rather depressing sight last evening at Tufts Medical Center.

A new trainset pulled in heading direction Oak Grove at about 5:50 PM. I did not catch the number because I was on the other platform. The trainset had a dead car. Third car in the set was dark and not taking passengers.

It's worth noting it might not have been a "dead car" it could have been anything from a technical fault in the car to someone threw up in there. I've been kicked off orange line cars for both reasons in the past two months so nothing would surprise me.

It's worth noting it might not have been a "dead car" it could have been anything from a technical fault in the car to someone threw up in there. I've been kicked off orange line cars for both reasons in the past two months so nothing would surprise me.
This is a really good point. Cars get isolated for a lot of reasons, not all technical failures.

Almost like the new OL car that had graffiti written on its side.

Back