New Red and Orange Line Cars

The Springfield/CRRC spying scare issue made it into the Financial Times' Big Read today. FT has a paywall, but in case anyone who does have an account is interested (I assume making a "gift link" public will get my account suspended, if detected, so the regular paywall link is below). In any case, there's nothing particularly new in the article, but it's an ok summary of things.

https://www.ft.com/content/37c3a1f8-8ba8-11e9-a1c1-51bf8f989972

That is neither here or there. CRRC is going to aim for getting the new railcars done as promised to the MBTA & the other cities that have ordered them.

Back on topic, here's a video of the Orange line pilot testing and actually opening it's doors and saying the station announcement... Also completely unscientific observation that they seems to accelerate after closing the doors far quicker than the current trains can.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndbip_official/status/1140256389463519232

It is missing about 300,000 pounds of people who would normally be on it. I’m genuinely not sure if that is significant or not.

It is missing about 300,000 pounds of people who would normally be on it. I’m genuinely not sure if that is significant or not.

One of the recent presentations to the FMCB has a picture of bus in testing - they fill them with barrels of sand to simulate the weight of the passengers. I assume they do the same with the trains when it matters.

Back on topic, here's a video of the Orange line pilot testing and actually opening it's doors and saying the station announcement... Also completely unscientific observation that they seems to accelerate after closing the doors far quicker than the current trains can.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndbip_official/status/1140256389463519232

Neat. Though I would fail them on the test as the left hand doors shouldn't have opened as there is no center platform.
But, that's why it's a test and not a revenue run.

Neat. Though I would fail them on the test as the left hand doors shouldn't have opened as there is no center platform.

There was no side platform either.. the platforms at dtx are staggered. Also believe operator doors are still manually controlled (even though there might be a option for auto-operation with CBTC down the road)?

Probably intentional so passengers don't try to board the test train, no?

One of the recent presentations to the FMCB has a picture of bus in testing - they fill them with barrels of sand to simulate the weight of the passengers. I assume they do the same with the trains when it matters.

Yup...sandbags. More of the weight on any given transit vehicle is tied up in water and carbon held together by human flesh than is ever accounted for by steel and electromechanical parts, so empty testing doesn't even come close to simulating real performance under load.

I was also just referring to the delay the current trains have in between the hiss of the brakes being released and any motion actually occurring, its a solid 4-5 seconds to get the current ones to even start moving, improved acceleration aside

Two trivial observations:
-This is an obvious maintenance-minded decision but I wish the doors had been painted with the orange bar. The discontinuity is displeasing, but it's not a big deal.
-The station announcements have been re-recorded. The tell for me is that there's no gap before "Forest Hills", there's usually about a quarter-second pause before the station name in the destination announcement.

Link doesn't work. :mad:

Works fine for me

As for the color, still think we picked the most boring of the three designs...
940.jpg

Works fine for me

As for the color, still think we picked the most boring of the three designs...

It seems like there's a benefit to the boring design in that most of the color is whole pieces of the shell, meaning that they can be enameled or whatever and will hold that color longer. The one to the right seems like it would have peeled over time...

Back