New Red and Orange Line Cars

If it's only a week down it's still way better than the R179 dumpster fire that keeps on giving for NYCT.

Those Singapore train sets: when were they built? It sounds like the trouble was known in 2013 and then re reported in 2016?

Those Singapore train sets: when were they built? It sounds like the trouble was known in 2013 and then re reported in 2016?

I know. I was about to give them the benefit of the doubt with the quick turnaround but the more info that is coming out, the more something is not smelling right.

Per Gonneville at the FMCB today: they're engineering a retrofit (new part design) hopefully to be installed this week. Can't commit to a service timeline but hopefully "quicker than the last one". It's worth noting that the part in question doesn't actually come from CRRC, so I'm not sure the Singapore example is relevant unless they used the same source for parts.

Any word on new Red Line Cars? assuming this setback will push the timeline out about a month. Hopefully we'll see one in service by June.

Any word on new Red Line Cars? assuming this setback will push the timeline out about a month. Hopefully we'll see one in service by June.

Probably not by itself. The DGM was clear that any fixes made to the Orange Line would be made to the Red Line at the factory. I'd be more worried about the production rate issues CRRC is apparently having.

Those trains have been yanked out of service for 3 or 4 times. Why don't they just check them out and fix whatever is wrong with them BEFORE they bring them back , instead of just teasing everyone? I think that would be the better thing to do!! :mad:

Those trains have been yanked out of service for 3 or 4 times. Why don't they just check them out and fix whatever is wrong with them BEFORE they bring them back , instead of just teasing everyone? I think that would be the better thing to do!! :mad:
Jahvon -- It's a bit like a "Shakedown Cruise" -- after a ship is in the water and the builder has taken it for a spin -- the Navy still wants to do its own test before it joins the fleet.

There are only so many tests you can do in the controlled environment in the factory or even on a test track. Eventually you have to put the vehicle through "Real World" experience -- then fix the problems that are generic "once and for all".

Even then as each new unit hits the "road" there will be some problems which are specific to it that need to be "tweaked". This is likely to continue for the rest of the year.

This is the most predictable thread ever.

panic-gif.gif\

Makes you kind of imagine what the new Red Line cars will be like when THEY are put into service when they are ready. Didn't even get a chance to try them out yet. This is why I won't go try them out until at least half of the new orange Line trains are working & there are no more glitches to cause them to be taken out or service. It's a damn shame that none of those old rust buckets were put out to pasture yet.
Rust on old OL Cars..jpg

Last edited:
Makes you kind of imagine what the new Red Line cars will be like when THEY are put into service when they are ready. Didn't even get a chance to try them out yet. This is why I won't go try them out until at least half of the new orange Line trains are working & there are no more glitches to cause them to be taken out or service. It's a damn shame that none of those old rust buckets were put out to pasture yet.View attachment 4087

Not for nothing, but you really need to step back a bit and breathe. Yes, there are prolonged delays and yes, the trains keep getting taken out of service.

But, as others have said, this is an all-new design and things need to be shaken out. Better now up front than later down the line. And whatever they diagnose on the OL cars, they'll apply to the RL ones as much as possible.

I'm excited as anyone else to see the new cars being put into service. I haven't had the opportunity to ride any of the newOL or GL sets yet. Heck, I'm just happy to get an updated Kinki GL car right now. I understand the disappointment, but think big picture.

Not for nothing, but you really need to step back a bit and breathe. Yes, there are prolonged delays and yes, the trains keep getting taken out of service.

But, as others have said, this is an all-new design and things need to be shaken out. Better now up front than later down the line. And whatever they diagnose on the OL cars, they'll apply to the RL ones as much as possible.

I'm excited as anyone else to see the new cars being put into service. I haven't had the opportunity to ride any of the newOL or GL sets yet. Heck, I'm just happy to get an updated Kinki GL car right now. I understand the disappointment, but think big picture.
This. I’ve never seen or heard of any new vehicle (car, train, bus) that hasn’t had to be taken out of service for repairs.

Like a baby taking their first steps. They’re gonna stumble.

In what might be the first positive news I've seen all week, I saw an in service new orange line train today, and there's one on the tracker right now in service too. I presume these are test runs with whatever fix they are trying and in case they need to pull them again they haven't announced it officially yet, but I'm glad to see progress hasn't entirely stopped due to the virus. I think people would extra appreciate a clean new train right about now.

Back