New Red and Orange Line Cars

New Red cars have been spotted outside the Cabot shop this week for the first time since delivery. Can probably get a good photo vantage now from W. 4th Bridge (below NERail photo looks like it was taken from the BPW roof lot).

The mysterious "incomplete paint job" pair. . .
202004031908318528.jpg

The new Orange Line cars have that nice slanted style on the upper halves of the cars that reminds me of the Amtrak Viewliner cars!! :)

Earlier Orange Line car design..jpg

So glad that they didn't go with THIS design!! Looks kind of UGLY!!

I thought that there was at least one new OL train back in service. Was that one taken out of service again?

I thought that there was at least one new OL train back in service. Was that one taken out of service again?

https://newtrains.today/

Tracker says a 1400 set last picked up passengers in the 8:00-9:00am hour this morning, so doesn't appear there's anything amiss. They've been running Saturday schedules during COVID so their consist requirements are really light right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking sparser turns solely because of social distancing for the ride-along techs who are onboard as an extra staffer for each run to collect telemetry data.

The whole system is running on a Saturday schedule, including the bus service. Makes it seem like Sunday service because everything seems so slow!! :mad:

I haven't seen any of the new cars using the test track yet.

I haven't seen any of the new cars using the test track yet.

From how much rust is on the railhead in those photos, sure doesn't look like anything's been down there since the T released a Twitter pic of an 01800 set on the test track 3-1/2 months ago.

The 4 Red test cars have been photographed out and about in the yard recently. They're testing...probably on the Cabot leads if they're out by day. Just doesn't look like anything has set foot on the actual test track since they arrived.

From how much rust is on the railhead in those photos, sure doesn't look like anything's been down there since the T released a Twitter pic of an 01800 set on the test track 3-1/2 months ago.

The 4 Red test cars have been photographed out and about in the yard recently. They're testing...probably on the Cabot leads if they're out by day. Just doesn't look like anything has set foot on the actual test track since they arrived.

Probably the COVID-19 that seems to slow things down. Seems like anything to keep those old nasty-looking rust buckets in service. :mad:

Last edited:
Probably the COVID-19 that seems to slow things down. Seems like anything to keep those old rust buckets in service. :mad:

Well, definitely slowing down assembly at the Springfield factory. Although just because the number of 1400's in revenue service has been stuck at 14 for over 2 months doesn't mean they haven't gotten deliveries to Wellington. "Revenue testing" still means "in testing", with CRRC techs riding along with the operators every time those sets carry passengers. You get the same exact telemetry running the cars in extended non-revenue testing while service levels are lower without having to clean the cars between runs, so the testing calendar probably isn't as behind schedule as the raw acceptances numbers indicate. They're continuing to get all the necessary burn-in telemetry they need for the first warranty milestones, just without passengers touching surfaces the techs may need to look at after a day's worth of burn-in runs. The 01200's, in turn, are barely being taxed by the last two months of much lighter service duty (and also from the mercifully mild winter that preceded) and are staying out of the shop which lets them reshuffle the testing deck from revenue to non-revenue burn-in in this way.

Same deal on the Green Line. 19 out of 24 Type 9's are delivered on the property even though the in-service ranks are stalled at 14 (and were stalled at 13 for over two months). The newest deliveries are getting more testing than usual before entering service because the revenue fleet is so un-taxed by these service levels. The backside of those acceptances is going to be very rapid now, probably with a big burst going into service in couple of weeks when the next wave of biz reopenings starts to bring back some semblance of rush hour loading.

Last edited:
Question; Now that the T is planning to expand their service, will the new Red & Orange Line trains go back into testing?
New .Orange line cars yanked from Service Again!!!!.jpg

I never realized how bad the destination sign is on the front and back car. I guess it isn't really too important as there's no split on the OL. Does it pop more in person?

I never realized how bad the destination sign is on the front and back car. I guess it isn't really too important as there's no split on the OL. Does it pop more in person?
Yeah the illumination stands out in person a lot more. The LEDs are pretty bright.

Photo's way overexposed. You can see the signage bright as daylight from quite a distance away.

At least those wind-up signs won't be used for the new trains, we'll have gps station announcements & closed circuit cameras & wider doors. :)

Back