New Red and Orange Line Cars

Who do you even punish? This order was placed in 2014, under the Patrick administration. How many of the decisionmakers are even still in government or still working for the T?
In case you didn’t catch get my drift:

Extreme slowness, bureaucracy, the blame game & lack of caring & reliability all seem to be the ingredients for disaster in this recipe. :eek:

I feel like perhaps the best case outcome at this point would be for the State to just allow CRRC to complete the rest of the Red Line, at least, in China and ship fully completed cars (AFAIK, the MBTA has not received many of the Red Line shells past the initial set they have). This in theory might help CRRC save a bit of face/money, too. With all of the OL shells here try to salvage Springfield and wrap it up, and then use Springfield of any needed warranty claims on either the Red or Orange as needed and then shut it down. Only way I can see from an operational standpoint of being able to accelerate and have any chance at saving (timeline wise) the RL order. OL is kind of stuck with what it is, though.

Jeffrey Gonneville said that he wants to try to work with the CRRC to better understand how the mess with the Chinese railcar company can be solved.

Last edited:
Looks like CRRC is being looked into. I think it's about time. Things have been moving too ridiculously slow with them!!

I feel like perhaps the best case outcome at this point would be for the State to just allow CRRC to complete the rest of the Red Line, at least, in China and ship fully completed cars (AFAIK, the MBTA has not received many of the Red Line shells past the initial set they have). This in theory might help CRRC save a bit of face/money, too. With all of the OL shells here try to salvage Springfield and wrap it up, and then use Springfield of any needed warranty claims on either the Red or Orange as needed and then shut it down. Only way I can see from an operational standpoint of being able to accelerate and have any chance at saving (timeline wise) the RL order. OL is kind of stuck with what it is, though.

But they have also started making the railcars there for Los Angeles as well. I thought that they would at least have a plant out there for that. :unsure:

Gov. Healey states that she's not rushing things for the MBTA.

Gov. Healey states that she's not rushing things for the MBTA.

Wrong thread. This has nothing to do with CRRC or the Red/Orange cars.

I rode on the new Red Line train Friday for the first time! It was quiet, nice looking inside, but it was moving awfully slow!! I suspect that there are those aggravating slow zones on the Red Line as well!! I only went 2 stops from Park Street to South Station. :unsure:
MBTA-CRRC-Red-Line-2.jpg

Last edited:
I rode on the new Red Line train Friday! It was quiet, nice looking inside, but it was moving awfully slow!! I suspect that there are those aggravating slow zones on the Red Line as well!! I only went 2 stops from Park Street to South Station. :unsure:View attachment 34365
Park Street to south station it's faster to walk.

The Orange Line is supposed to be completely done after the shutdown last summer, right? Yet I just read a couple of days ago that there was track work still being done at Wellington!! Why is this work still happening?!! All of this work was supposed to be done last summer!! :unsure:

The Orange Line is supposed to be completely done after the shutdown last summer, right? Yet I just read a couple of days ago that there was track work still being done at Wellington!! Why is this work still happening?!! All of this work was supposed to be done last summer!! :unsure:
The orange line being “done” was never the intention of the shutdown. The intention was to work on emergency repairs and complete “5 years of work in a month”. Was that accomplished? Probably not, but the backlog of deferred maintenance on the OL and the MBTA as a whole is substantial. Completing all of that maintenance in 1 month was never realistic, nor was it even the stated goal of the shutdown. There will always be maintenance needed on every functioning railroad, the T just needs to play catch-up after years of not doing enough.

Back