New Red and Orange Line Cars

Two others must've already been there (Wellington yard). Each train is supposed to operate in sets of 6 cars. According to CRRC, all of the OL car shells have been made. :)
Correct, 1478/79 apparently arrived last week per a friend (and that checks out with Gonneville's statement about 4 cars being delivered - 2 last week, 2 this week).

In the Speed Restriction data they released today there are a number of Orange speed restrictions with the reason "Vehicle" which in their taxonomy means "An issue with the vehicles is necessitating restricting the speed in certain areas. E.g. Enhanced Station Stopping." I don't recall this being previously disclosed. There are no "Vehicle" speed restrictions on Red, Blue, or Green.
1677271416109.png

According to the chart posted, it looks like a boatload of slow zones posted for the Orange Line!! o_O

Here's even MORE!!!! I KNEW that the new RL train that I was riding on a few weeks ago was going so damn slow!! :mad:

Last edited:
Did I miss where it was announced this had anything to do with the new cars?

It may or may not, but even when some of the new cars DO come into service, they are also affected by this slowness snag because new or old, ALL of the cars & trolleys are affected by this new "disease". :(

Last edited:
It may or may not, but even when some of the new cars DO come into service, they are also affected by this slowness snag because new or old, ALL of the cars & trolleys are affected by this new "disease". :(
Still, I don't think this conversation belongs in this thread. The slow zone is not about the new cars. It may affect the new cars, but so will it/has it affected all the cars.

I don't think it's worth commenting on this thread when there isn't anything new to say.

The slow zone is not about the new cars. It may affect the new cars, but so will it/has it affected all the cars.

It matters none about whether the trains are new, old, or not. They are all affected. :(

This Orange Line train seems to have gone through a few slow Zones between Forest Hills & Oak Grove. Take a 'ride' to see what you think of it. :unsure:

Looks like a nice train. They should consider building a few more of them.

The MBTA is supposed to get about 252 or so of them. As of late, only 12 of them have been delivered & only 78 of the 152 or so of the OL cars have been delivered. First, it was the covid-19 pandemic, now it's supposedly supply problems. :( :(:unsure:

Hopefully they come with extended warranty

Yeah, the ones on the Orange Line were screwing up so badly. Seemed that just about every month they had to be yanked from service for one thing or another! Quality control at Springfield where they are assembled seemed very lacking!! But they all seem to be working good now. :mad:

The MBTA has 14 new Orange Line train sets it lists as “active service” but they’ve only ever had 10 on route at once. Is this because of the operator/dispatcher shortage or just service cuts for budgeting reasons?

The MBTA has 14 new Orange Line train sets it lists as “active service” but they’ve only ever had 10 on route at once. Is this because of the operator/dispatcher shortage or just service cuts for budgeting reasons?

I believe that it was because of a work shortage. They were short-handed. Not enough dispatchers. And they still don't have a new GM yet!! :unsure:

Back