Next big highway project?

Embarcadero isn't really the right comparison.

Imagine if 19th Ave/Park Presidio or Van Ness were highways instead of city streets. Those are the thru-streets for highway traffic flowing between north and south of SF. They're not the most wonderful of places, but they're far, far superior to interstate highways in terms of city life.

I agree with Shepard that a responsible and cost-effective solution would have looked something like a surface arterial street between the Charles River crossing (let's say Zakim was still built) and the Dewey Square area. Also toss back in the third harbor tunnel (Ted), I don't have a problem with that. The fact is that even with the Big Dig, we still ended up with a massively oversized surface road that continues to cause problems. And that's after downsizing -- the original plan was a 10 lane surface road on top of the tunnel!

The Big Dig cements in place an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston. Forever. It caters to the conviction that automobile travel ought to be freely subsidized by the government at any expense to the taxpayer. The debt incurred by the construction of the O'Neill tunnel overshadows the benefits, and no, it will not be paid off before the infrastructure crumbles and must be rebuilt in fifty or so years. Sooner if it turns out to be worse than we thought. The state of 60s-era highway infrastructure around here gives me little confidence.

In places like London it's accepted that driving will be difficult not because they are spiteful, but because that is simply the nature of human cities. Geometry is king. There is not enough space for all the cars that people would want to drive in any reasonably populated place. The Big Dig is just delaying the inevitable reckoning we have to make with that fact, at terrifying expense. The construction of the O'Neill tunnel was just another attempt at that unrealistic 1950s-style Utopian dream of turning our cities into a Metropolis or a Futurama.

Knowing what we know now, I would not recommend the O'Neill tunnel be built if I was able to somehow go back and be in that position. Sure, a (vastly improved) Greenway is better than an big arterial street. But not for the $10-$20 billion cost that you can attribute to the O'Neill tunnel.

But since we do have it, and the money is sunk, I would recommend trying to make the most of it. The Greenway is a pale shadow of what it could be. The only part that works is -- surprise surprise -- the part where the surface street is narrowest and the park is best, and most well placed. Cover the ramp parcels, narrow the surface streets and make them part of the city instead of being like a surface highway that we spent billions to avoid.

On a side note,
mass88 said:
Seattle is currently in the process of burying the Alaskan Way Viaduct in downtown Seattle.

Nope. They have failed. They tried to use an unproven size of tunnel boring machine, and it's stuck. The question is how many more millions or even billions of dollars will they dump on it before cutting their losses.

The Big Dig cements in place an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston. Forever.

Forever? Like, "forever" forever? Like, "I have a time machine and I have seen all years between now and infinity"?

Forever? Like, "forever" forever? Like, "I have a time machine and I have seen all years between now and infinity"?

As long as humans exist with enough resources to repair it and as long as people still suffer from sunk cost fallacy.

So yeah, effectively forever. Or until the end of human civilization. Whichever comes first.

So in the year 3050, you already know who's the governor, head of MassDOT, all other applicable political leaders, and what the budget situation is like? Nate Silver can only predict World Cup games down to probabilities, so sounds like you've got a job at 538 in your future.

Added response to the below so we don't derail further: I usually agree with you 100% on 100% of things. Just making fun of you for the over the top usage of "FOR. E. VER." Come on, Man! Auto-centric FOREVER? That's beyond unknowable, not to mention a lot of data points to the contrary.

Last edited:
What's your point? Do you really believe that the Commonwealth is ever going to undo the Big Dig, rip out the tunnels, in our lifetimes (or in our great-great-great-... grandchildren's)? Or are you just belaboring a point about poetic license in order to be annoying?

Matthew, I don't see how the presence of a tunnel under downtown Boston "cements in place an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston. Forever." Pedestrian mobility is vastly improved with the CA/T. You (among others) can gripe about the horror of crossing the Greenway, but the fact is it is easier to cross than Tremont Street at Park. The city is making real commitments to bicycle infrastructure with their 5- and 30-year plans looking completely transformative - all at the expense of automobiles.

The personal automobile and commercial trucks, both large and small, are not going anywhere in our lifetime. We can limit cars on surface roads with congestion tolling without impeding the free flow of regional traffic thru the CA/T. Infinitely more than highway capacity, I see parking as the main driver of urban automobile use. If there is no place for the cars to go once they exit the highway, they won't come off the highway. It can be a pedestrian, bicycle, and transit free-for-all on the surface and you'd never know the tunnel was there.

If the N-S Link is completed, we get a medium-to-high frequency, limited-stop express system overlaying our existing rapid transit. BRT lanes and/or LRT can create the Urban Ring so we have real radial transit circulation. The city can take as much surface street real estate as they want for BRT and bike lanes. The tunnel doesn't preclude any of those things.

I would also note we wouldn't even be having public meetings about tearing down McGrath Highway and New Rutherford Ave. were it not for the CA/T. Or hearing about the Mystic Reservation plan to put Fellsway and 16 on a modest diet. Those were all the detour routes into the city all day/every day when the decks were FUBAR'd feeding into the Artery. The rush hour volumes of thru traffic and truck traffic have largely disappeared, to the point where it's mostly local traffic and the remaining thru-and-thru cheaters can now be safely redirected onto 93 where they should've been all along. If Somerville can bend MassHighway into sticking with a traffic-calmed boulevard the city gets a whole new vibrant Square implanted at the halfway point between Union and Sullivan, and Charlestown heals the gash disconnecting it from downtown, Sullivan/East Somerville, and Northpoint/Cambridge.

You both can and can't put a price tag on how much that change matters to life that far outside the CA/T project limits solely because of the domino effects it had. The incompetence, corruption, and fucked debt load hurt. That's government at its worst. But in terms of total regional economic impact the Big Dig is printing money the for Metro Boston economy at accelerating pace...10 years after the fact and with no end in sight. With quality of life (albeit more sharply class- and income-biased than ever) improving in tandem. It may be the biggest gift that keeps on giving of the last 100 years because of its indirect coattails. That too often gets lost in the discussion of the project debt.

There was never any doubt this was slam-dunk good for the future. We just didn't know what trajectory it was going to take to get there or that the bad and the good of it would end up as funhouse-mirror exaggerated as they did--both the rank corruption and the unbounded economic rebirth that blew away anyone's wildest dreams back in 1987 when the project was formally appropriated by Congress.

As long as humans exist with enough resources to repair it and as long as people still suffer from sunk cost fallacy.

So yeah, effectively forever. Or until the end of human civilization. Whichever comes first.

I think this is the point we should be examining. Shepard brought up a good point. And Matthew is right that we can not re-decide the CA/T decision but that we should be stretching our thinking about the type of infrastructure for Boston and how to organize its growth.

London is an economy that is only 2x as big as Boston yet over 25 years it will be constructing several megaprojects to massively improve its infrastructure capabilities and shape the surrounding region. Overall the budget for these projects is ca. $100bn to $200bn. Many of these projects are similar to ones Boston will require.

Two new regional rail systems built in tunnels (Crossrail 1 and 2, $65b), Thames Tideway (CSO Tunnels $7bn), New Airport or Third Runway ($15bn to $60bn), High-speed Rail 2 ($60bn).

I think the Boston metro region should be thinking of where does it want's growth and development, how to improve connectivity and transportation infrastructure, how to lower the costs of economic growth and it should be thinking along policies and infrastructure that promote these objectives similar to London but appropriately scaled down. We should be thinking about whether we what type of living and transportation systems we want to live with. Keeping in mind there will always be options (no one is going to take away your car), but at the same time where we put new infrastructure and how we pay for it will dramatically impact your choices and the cost to society for them.

In my view, Boston should be considering encouraging growth closer to the city away from 495 sprawl, massively increasing residential construction within 128, focusing business growth on key transportation corridors, harbor flood control, developing transportation corridor infrastructure, and ensuring a high quality connection to NYC, and improving connectivity with Providence, Worcester, Springfield and Hartford.

Of course, agreeing on these objectives will be very difficult to do. But it would then allow the investment necessary to support these objectives. It might lead projects like a Harbour Flood Barrier, North-South rail link and regional rail, Urban Ring, Inland Route HSR, a mass transit ring around 128.

Edit: F-Line beat me to the punch on half of what I was saying. I'll keep this anyway...

If the central artery were never built in the first place, then the CA/T or any iteration of it wouldn't make sense. That's what most european cities do/did/are doing.

But it was. And then for 40 years afterwards, the built environment inside 495 morphed to fit around that access route. You can't just cut off a critical link that everything in the surrounding area has structured itself around. In all likelyhood, the cost and amount of virgin/expanded roadways that would have had to be cut through the surrounding area to accommodate severing 93 through downtown would have been greater than what was built for the CA/T. Something like that harbor highway proposal stretching from Quincy across the islands to Logan, plus beefing up all the routes that come into town, and a six lane 128.

And then after spending so much money, traffic would be far worse than it is now downtown. It would probably still be under construction. I doubt the lane reductions on Comm and Rutherford would or could happen, and the overpasses that we are currently tearing down would have to be rebuilt or expanded, because they would be seeing greater loads they were designed for, instead of less. The McGrath would be expanded instead of torn down.

Building the central artery in the first place makes it impossible to remove, everything is just too set up to utilize it. It has become a necessary evil. But I believe the CA/T was a better way to deal with it than what I outlined above. As much as I would love for everyone to abandon their cars yesterday, and have to worry about nothing more than local delivery vans, its not going to happen. So we have to deal with them as best as we can. Honestly, I think were doing a pretty good job. Not great by any means, but pretty good.

Also, to briefly address a point in Jahvon's OP, the Big Dig has been in more journals, trade magazines, engineering textbooks, and tv shows than I can possibly count. It, Cheonggyecheon ($281B), and the Embarcadero are the shining white knights of downtown freeway removal. What we did, despite the cost and materials issues, are the envy of almost everyone. Next time you're driving through there, don't look at the soot on the walls, look at what you're actually doing. You're in a six lane highway buried beneath the heart of an active downtown. It's fucking incredible.

Side-gripe:

As far as I can tell the 5-year and 30-year bicycle network plans are vaporware. Oh, I know, it's too soon. Well, except for the fact that the city intends to reconstruct a critical link of Comm Ave with no cycle tracks nor any improvement. And that's on the 30 year plan as a cycle track. Once that money is sunk, it's not going to be rebuilt again for a cycle track within the next three decades. So much for that plan. And if a corridor as bicycle-heavy and high-profile as Comm Ave can be so easily shelved, then what hope do we have on the rest?

Okay, I won't derail further with that gripe.

Yes, parking is a big driver of urban automobile use. That was the reasoning behind the Clean Air Act-based parking freezes. It's an incredibly leaky sieve, however, and the city constantly tries to undermine it -- between parking minimums (still there) and all sorts of weird workarounds (like the Seaport lots to the new under-93 lot). Heck, São Paulo just at one stroke eliminated all parking minimums in the city. Can you imagine Boston doing that? I can't.

The parking freeze only addresses the downtown area. As I said before, the Greenway is definitely preferable to a large surface arterial road. But the city of Boston (not to mention the surrounding towns and cities) is more than just downtown Boston. Even if there were no ramps in downtown Boston (like the Alaskan Way Tunnel would be), the Big Dig is the most gold-plated of gold-plated incentives to keep building automobile-focused development in all the surrounding neighborhoods. And that's what I mean when I say that the Big Dig cements an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston, for as long as it exists (happy?).

I have a friend who put it this way: he can drive to see me in about 10-15 minutes thanks to the Big Dig. The same trip using the T would probably take about 40-45 minutes. And he's very transit-friendly, but can't justify not using his car. And I can hardly fault him. Now just multiply that by thousands of people, many of whom don't really care about transit or the consequences of automobiles on city life.

Even the architects of the Big Dig were concerned about that, which is why it was originally supposed to include transit improvements. Instead we got the questionable Orange Line relocation coming out of that era. The Red Line extensions were useful but while automobile access between many Boston neighborhoods is radically improved, the Red Line putters along with 45-year old vehicles breaking down seemingly every day. The Green Line is, well, you know.

The O'Neill tunnel is a massive incentive to use automobiles throughout the city of Boston, and it reverberates all around the city, especially in neighborhoods near highway ramps. I see it in Allston all the time. Sometimes when it's nice I'll be sitting out by Harvard Ave watching the traffic. Everyone knows that stretch, it's infamous for backups. And it's all due to the highway ramps on Cambridge Street. I would estimate that a majority of the cars passing through Allston are on their way to or from the Pike(/Storrow). It's pretty obvious when parking spaces are passed up repeatedly. I don't spend a lot of time around I-93 feeders like Sullivan Sq or Columbia Road but I bet they experience something similar.

Even if there were no ramps in downtown Boston (like the Alaskan Way Tunnel would be), the Big Dig is the most gold-plated of gold-plated incentives to keep building automobile-focused development in all the surrounding neighborhoods. And that's what I mean when I say that the Big Dig cements an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston, for as long as it exists (happy?).

I have a friend who put it this way: he can drive to see me in about 10-15 minutes thanks to the Big Dig. The same trip using the T would probably take about 40-45 minutes. And he's very transit-friendly, but can't justify not using his car. And I can hardly fault him. Now just multiply that by thousands of people, many of whom don't really care about transit or the consequences of automobiles on city life.
You talk about being concerned of the "consequences of automobiles on city life," but suggest dumping all of the traffic into the neighborhoods and streets of Boston by ending the highway. Doesn't that have a hell of a more severe consequence for the quality of "city life" than just keeping the highway running under Boston? Now instead of having some backups on ramps downtown, you have gridlocked all of Boston's streets and neighborhoods. I fail to see how this is anything but insane.

You talk about being concerned of the "consequences of automobiles on city life," but suggest dumping all of the traffic into the neighborhoods and streets of Boston by ending the highway. Doesn't that have a hell of a more severe consequence for the quality of "city life" than just keeping the highway running under Boston? Now instead of having some backups on ramps downtown, you have gridlocked all of Boston's streets and neighborhoods. I fail to see how this is anything but insane.

You are assuming that auto traffic is immutable and must be handled, like water through a system of pipes.

We know that it is anything but that. Build more and bigger highways, and you get more auto traffic. Build fewer, and you get less.

I confess, I'm a little surprised you aren't familiar with the notion of "induced demand" since I know you spend plenty of time on this forum.

If you don't want to cement the automobile centric character of downtown Boston due to the CA/T, implement open road tolling on I-93. And scale it by vehicle type -- perhaps busses should be exempt?

Should have been done from day 1 to pay for it.

You've just put it perfectly. The Big Dig made life better for millions of people. Much, much better. You're arguing, as many have argued on this site before, that the money should have been spent facilitating slower, less comfortable forms of transit which happen at the moment to have a much smaller carbon footprint.

The fact is that in terms of moving people and cargo from where they are to where they want to go in urban areas, the automobile has everything beat by miles and miles. Every other form of transportation sacrifices efficiency, speed, comfort and directness in the name of cost, livability, and emissions. That's not to say that those other modes aren't worthwhile, just that from a pure transportation perspective they're worse.

Driving is anathema to a livable city in many ways, particularly through driving. The Big Dig took all of that driving off of city streets and put it below ground, out of sight. The traffic reduction, as many have pointed out, allowed a huge amount of development, the downgrading of several other non-livable roadways, and probably prevented Boston or Massachusetts from having to make a different $20 billion investment in a new airport.

Between Logan's continued operation (and current growth spree) and the business it brings in, the developments at North Station, the Government Center Garage, Bullfinch Triangle, and Sullivan Square (not to mention Chinatown), the entirety of the SBW and SPID, forcing the T to get moving on GLX, the pre-built sections of the N/S Rail Link that someday might allow for Grand Junction light rail and the Urban Ring... at what point precisely does the Big Dig become worth it to you, in terms of either money or urbanity? I'd say it's more than worth it from either side, overruns or not, regardless of what modes can use it.

You are assuming that auto traffic is immutable and must be handled, like water through a system of pipes.

We know that it is anything but that. Build more and bigger highways, and you get more auto traffic. Build fewer, and you get less.

I confess, I'm a little surprised you aren't familiar with the notion of "induced demand" since I know you spend plenty of time on this forum.
I'm well aware of it. I'm a huge transit advocate and am all for reducing auto traffic via investments to public transport, but I also understand the need to optimize all forms of transit so they are efficient, more environmentally-friendly and most-importantly, safe, and that includes roadways. The alternative is to continue with this extremist anti-car agenda and get absolutely nothing done. Balance is key. Budgets are not unlimited and there's no "sandbox mode" in the real world. Boston already exhibits extremely low car ownership rates in the country.

I by absolutely no means advocate for building new highways, but am in favor of optimizing the ones we have so they reduce air pollution caused by excessive traffic as well as making them safe to use. Others on this board continually advocate for letting highways deteriorate instead of fixing them which is purely reckless endangerment and it drives me crazy. I cannot for the life of me understand how some people on here are willing to risk the lives of people just to make a point about alternative transit. The same goes for highways that do not meet standards. We should bring them to standard and then be done. No super highways or anything, just highways that meet standards and are safe to use.

You've just put it perfectly. The Big Dig made life better for millions of people. Much, much better. You're arguing, as many have argued on this site before, that the money should have been spent facilitating slower, less comfortable forms of transit which happen at the moment to have a much smaller carbon footprint.

The fact is that in terms of moving people and cargo from where they are to where they want to go in urban areas, the automobile has everything beat by miles and miles. Every other form of transportation sacrifices efficiency, speed, comfort and directness in the name of cost, livability, and emissions. That's not to say that those other modes aren't worthwhile, just that from a pure transportation perspective they're worse.

Driving is anathema to a livable city in many ways, particularly through driving. The Big Dig took all of that driving off of city streets and put it below ground, out of sight.

It made life better for people rich enough to own a car, maintain it, and a place to park it in the city. Or people who live in the suburbs and own a car. It has not made life better for many people in the city. As I said, it has cemented in place an automobile-centric view of mobility in Boston.

That last statement doesn't actually say anything positive or negative about cars. Just that the Big Dig comes from a mindset where the car is king. Obviously you all know how I feel about that.

And on the topic of how I feel: it's quite easy to claim that the personal automobile is the ideal form of transportation when you ignore public health, pollution and land use impacts (a.k.a. geometry). But I can't ignore those factors. I think you understand that. I want to live in a city where walking is safe and pleasant, where smog does not choke the skies, where destinations are not separated by acres of parking, and where development is not held hostage to the insatiable space needs of motor vehicles. I know that all this is fundamentally at odds with the promotion of the automobile as the near-universal answer to mobility, as a visit to just about any 20th century-developed American city will confirm.

Putting the cars that happen to be in motion through underground tunnels helps a little bit in one aspect, but quite possibly worsens the other negative aspects associated with motordom.

I don't think that it is possible to actually gain enough benefit from the O'Neill tunnel to make up for its cost. Maybe if it had been much, much cheaper. But we just have to eat it, at this point, and try to make the best of it. As I suggested earlier, buffing up the Greenway, calming those surface roads, and building over the ramp parcels would be a big step forward. Tolling the tunnels is also a good idea and should have been done from the start, but for that wacky Federal law, which may or may not be changed this year.

I guess, in an ideal world, the cost of driving would match the negative external cost that driving imposes on others in the city. Perhaps in such a world, the capacity represented by the O'Neill tunnel does not metastasize into an induced-demand trap, and the political pressure shifts from we-need-parking-parking-parking to seeing improvements in walking, biking and transit. Although I don't hold out much hope for that ever happening, I do think that people in Boston are much more open to city-friendly modes than their elected officials give them credit for.

If you don't want to cement the automobile centric character of downtown Boston due to the CA/T, implement open road tolling on I-93. And scale it by vehicle type -- perhaps busses should be exempt?

Should have been done from day 1 to pay for it.

Too late now for BD tolling, but I'd welcome usage tolls to pay for rebuilding the SE Expressway with full 128-style left + right shoulders. Requires another "Fast 14's" worth of bridge replacements (most of which are nearing end of useful life anyway). And paying for the pricey Savin Hill fix next to the T tracks...most logically a Braintree-under-Ashmont burial, double-tracking of the Old Colony, and rest of the slack space being given over to 93. This should be doable everywhere except the short stretch of downtown Milton canyon and maybe a momentary negligible pinch point 1 or 2 other places, but that would fix the Expressway's resiliency problem forever without requiring any capacity increase.

Just keep MassDOT's dirty mits off more HOV smoke-and-mirror tricks that put us right back where the stupid zipper lane started us with a highway so broken by stealth capacity increases that it's unable to absorb even the slightest disruption. If they know what's good for them, shoulders should do it permanently. Then continue to pluck off those malformed 128 interchanges, and the Metro Boston interstate highway system will finally 'work' for the first time--ever--since its final layout was frozen in 1970.

I'm well aware of it. I'm a huge transit advocate and am all for reducing auto traffic via investments to public transport, but I also understand the need to optimize all forms of transit so they are efficient, more environmentally-friendly and most-importantly, safe, and that includes roadways. The alternative is to continue with this extremist anti-car agenda and get absolutely nothing done. Balance is key. Budgets are not unlimited and there's no "sandbox mode" in the real world. Boston already exhibits extremely low car ownership rates in the country.

I by absolutely no means advocate for building new highways, but am in favor of optimizing the ones we have so they reduce air pollution caused by excessive traffic as well as making them safe to use. Others on this board continually advocate for letting highways deteriorate instead of fixing them which is purely reckless endangerment and it drives me crazy. I cannot for the life of me understand how some people on here are willing to risk the lives of people just to make a point about alternative transit. The same goes for highways that do not meet standards. We should bring them to standard and then be done. No super highways or anything, just highways that meet standards and are safe to use.

I would agree and also add that there will always be a large group of people who wish to drive. You can build out mass transit as much as you want but there will always be a sizable segment of people who prefer to drive themselves places.

I don't think Boston and the metro area needs to become what's happening in places like Dallas/Ft. Worth where they're building these massive freeways all over the place, but taking what we have and making improvements to it (ie rebuilding the 93/95 interchange in Canton) will go a long way to make traffic flows move more smoothly.

Matthew, I have to disagree that I-93 is induced demand. I'm sure some of the traffic is, but I'd argue that much of it is just demand. As I said in my previous post, since the construction of the original artery, the entire metro region has structured itself around that connection. If you simply cut it, the real demand would still be there, and would instead be flooding local streets and all of the older highways we are currently disassembling and calming.

What we need to do next is dump $200 billion into mass transit. The crux of your argument is that your friend can get here faster by car than transit. That is currently true. But that's a failure of under-investing in transit, not in accommodating existing automobile traffic. We need to make that transit link competitive with driving; not just at rush hour but at noon on a sunday.

One could argue that they should have spent the big dig money on transit upgrades before they tore down the old artery, and then saw what happened and adjust the CA/T project accordingly. It's a valid argument, but has one critical flaw: we would still have that monstrosity tearing through the downtown, and all it's negative externalities.

As much as I hate to say it, it made sense to address the big, hulking automobile eyesore first, and then clean up the transit mess afterwards. The problem is that people see the T as broken, but for some reason not fixable. You see this in the globe comments all the time, "how can they add X more apartments when the trains are dying and rusting". I feel like there is a public perception issue that transit has to be bad, and that you can't do something big-dig visionary to fix it. You can, and we need to. That's the next step.

I'll start by going back to the Original Topic. My big project is:

Fix I-93 south of Boston from Albany St to Norwood (Amtrak/MBTA/I-95)
- 1 net new travel lane, devoted 100% to HOV to create a real, reversible 2-lane HOV (or, better, HOT high-occupancy-toll)
- 4 - 2 - 4 roadway
- 1 "paint" HOV lane would be enforced in the counter-rush direction so that empty rush-hour buses could run "express" on their backhaul (and, frankly, to encourage HOV "out" to 128 locations)
- wider shoulders, better ramps
- All HOV lanes (both the reversible 2 and the counter-rush 1) would have real on/off ramps and places for Slug Lines to form
- HOV would extend to I-95 and down Rt 3 to South Weymouth/Hanover Mall, and down Rt 24 (eventually).
- 2 track Old Colony line (currently pinches to 1) and expanded Middleboro service
- Extend Red Line from South from Ashmont (tunnel under the immediate neighborhood) and extend to Rte 128 Amtrak park-and-ride. Red-extensions would be:
1) via I-93 to Milton-Quincy Adams-Rt 24-Amtrak 128, or
2) via Readville to Amtrak 128

----

I sympathize with Matthew's position on induced demand, especially about through driving. It has meant, for example, that IKEA has not had to build a "northside" store because it knows its customers from north-of-Boston can now drive to Stoughton(!) in a way that was un-dreamed of when IKEA bought at Assembly (before the O'Neil tunnel opened)..and they're now enlarging Stoughton, it has worked so well.

That's illustrative of a huge induced demand--that would have, instead, been accommodated by local (shorter) driving trips to "local" alternatives.

But the Big Dig did do some things wisely (and "anti-demand-inducing")

1) it configured the on/off ramps to make local trips basically impossible. The old artery had ramps that made it "too local." So while, yes, it cemented the auto as the leading mode for North<->South, South<->City, and North<->City trips, it at least suppressed the City-City trips.

2) It is still jammed/intimidating at rush hour. (Most of its demand-inducing (like at IKEA) happens "off-peak")

(I don't credit the Big Dig with reconnecting the city. Grounding the old Artery would have done near-as-well and pushed "through" trips onto the TWT or "around")

Last edited:

Back