North Washington St Bridge

Speaking as one of our resident Highway Engineers here, there's a reason we sub out all of our landscaping work!
I'm a "recovering" highway engineer (now retired), and we always depended on landscape architects to do the landscape design. I will be curious to see how the landscaping on the N Washington St Bridge actually turns out and survives (or not).

I'm a "recovering" highway engineer (now retired), and we always depended on landscape architects to do the landscape design. I will be curious to see how the landscaping on the N Washington St Bridge actually turns out and survives (or not).
As a structural engineer, there’s nothing I hate more than planters on concrete! They always hold water and often it has nowhere to go but through the concrete, leading to expensive repairs over time.

As a structural engineer, there’s nothing I hate more than planters on concrete! They always hold water and often it has nowhere to go but through the concrete, leading to expensive repairs over time.
I am close to ignorant on both the subject of landscaping and highway engineering, but can't concrete planters be designed with drainage? And if so, why would they not be built that way?

I am close to ignorant on both the subject of landscaping and highway engineering, but can't concrete planters be designed with drainage? And if so, why would they not be built that way?
They are always designed with drains and sub drains (at least it would be crazy not to). The problem is often the drainage path. Long-term concrete deflections can sometimes counteract that path, leading to ponding. This can of course be prevented with meticulous design and construction oversight, but it’s still difficult. The drain can also of course become clogged, and it’s usually not easy to unclog. Another thing is that concrete planters and saturated soil are very heavy, so a much greater stress is being applied to the slab underneath. Waterproofing also doesn’t last forever, so chips and it or roots can break it open, leaving the bare concrete exposed.

TL, DR: planters look nice, but need to be very well designed or they will be a maintenance burden. And even if they are well designed, they will still be a focus of building inspectors, meaning more time and money spent.

December 9th, 2023 will be the migration day to eastern side of the new bridge.

EDIT: New article just dropped!!!

Last edited:
December 9th, 2023 will be the migration day to eastern side of the new bridge.

EDIT: New article just dropped!!!

The structures in the middle kind of remind me of the of the ones on the Oculus at the new WTC in New York!!!!
Oculus..jpg

Last edited:
As it goes for travelling across the North Washington Street Bridge, the MBTA's announcement of Winter 2024 bus service changes notes that there will be no service increases or decreases for the route 92 and 93 buses connecting North End and Charlestown.

As such, until at least April 6th, 2024, the MBTA will only operate 52.5% of pre-pandemic weekday service for route 93 buses, and 64.4% of pre-pandemic weekday service for route 92 buses. Current and future scheduled weekend service is only marginally better (87% Rt. 93 Saturday, 97% Rt. 92 Saturday, 80% Rt. 93 Sunday).

This means that 2 out of 5 buses, (or almost every other bus for the 93) that ran pre-pandemic across the North Washington Street bridge are not running, into early 2024, unlike pre-COVID.

Note: These values differ slightly from TransitMatters as I use the 2016 weekday schedule for route 93, and the 2009 weekday schedule for route 92, to get the percentages (weekend schedules refer to 2013 for Rt. 93 and fall 2019 for Rt. 92).

As of 12/23/23

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 195
They are always designed with drains and sub drains (at least it would be crazy not to). The problem is often the drainage path. Long-term concrete deflections can sometimes counteract that path, leading to ponding. This can of course be prevented with meticulous design and construction oversight, but it’s still difficult. The drain can also of course become clogged, and it’s usually not easy to unclog. Another thing is that concrete planters and saturated soil are very heavy, so a much greater stress is being applied to the slab underneath. Waterproofing also doesn’t last forever, so chips and it or roots can break it open, leaving the bare concrete exposed.

TL, DR: planters look nice, but need to be very well designed or they will be a maintenance burden. And even if they are well designed, they will still be a focus of building inspectors, meaning more time and money spent.
Boston is harsh on plants, and this bridge is in an area exposed to high winds and also one that really isn't that attractive to walk over (the harbor is wide open here and the waterfront is sort of post-industrial and po-mo condo. It's not cozy or nice, and given the fact that half the year the plants will be leafless anyway, I would suggest...

... installations with fake plants or plant-like structures. This could fill in the space a lot better, make the pedestrian experience feel more closed in all days of the year, and also reduce wind effects. Why are we bending over backwards for trees on a bridge in a northern city like this?

If we were Europe, I think we'd be more likely to go with a fun color for the fishbone, too. How about green? It would look a lot better. The white just doesnt look great to me... Boston is not a very colorful city especially in the winter, and a bright color would break up the monotony. Whereas in some cityscapes, the bright white would contrast with the surroundings, here it just reinforces the blandness of them.

Boston is harsh on plants, and this bridge is in an area exposed to high winds and also one that really isn't that attractive to walk over (the harbor is wide open here and the waterfront is sort of post-industrial and po-mo condo. It's not cozy or nice, and given the fact that half the year the plants will be leafless anyway, I would suggest...

... installations with fake plants or plant-like structures. This could fill in the space a lot better, make the pedestrian experience feel more closed in all days of the year, and also reduce wind effects. Why are we bending over backwards for trees on a bridge in a northern city like this?

If we were Europe, I think we'd be more likely to go with a fun color for the fishbone, too. How about green? It would look a lot better. The white just doesnt look great to me... Boston is not a very colorful city especially in the winter, and a bright color would break up the monotony. Whereas in some cityscapes, the bright white would contrast with the surroundings, here it just reinforces the blandness of them.
This is New England -- we like bland. It is rather the local brand.

On the trees: why not just go evergreens? At least they would be green year round (and could have some fun holiday decorations).

On the trees: why not just go evergreens? At least they would be green year round (and could have some fun holiday decorations).
Because evergreen trees (vs shrubs) are more difficult to manage over time. They are not as well prunable and contained as deciduous trees.

Because evergreen trees (vs shrubs) are more difficult to manage over time. They are not as well prunable and contained as deciduous trees.
I personally prefer deciduous trees over firs, especially for landscaping public spaces in Boston . They look beautiful in the Fall and just seem to be so iconic a part of New England. I planted a sugar maple and a columnar maple in my front yard 26 years ago, and even though collecting all the leaves from them every Fall is loads of work, I love them being there.

Back