Northeastern eyes dorms

It would have been so awesome if they did build the football stadium over the parking lot.

Imagine an elevated field suspended between the dorm towers...

Smooth out some of the ugly color variations on the salmon section and you've got an avant-garade commieblock. It actually doesn't seem that bad now, it's straight out of (Eastern) Europe :D

I'll admit it turned out better than I thought it would but it is still a lemon. In 20 years we will be parying for this to be torn down (if not sooner).

For the area, I like this. If it serve as a harbinger for more development in the area (Malnea Cass Blvd, over the tracks, Tremont south of Mass Ave) then it will serve its purpose.

My roommate is an architecture major here @ NU and was able to organize a private tour with the architect of the building, which I was invited to tag along on as well. Considering that I'll be moving into this building in a couple months, I have dozens of questions for the architect. I was a little surprised to learn that when "International Village" (as it's now known) gets its LEED Gold certification, it will be the largest Gold-certified college housing space in the nation. Additionally, the dining hall in the building is some sort of one-of-a-kind LEED-certified dining space, either noteworthy for being a first-of-its-kind or for its shear size (I don't recall, sorry).

I had the pleasure of snapping some photos from inside the building on my phone. It has certainly changed a lot since my last tour a year ago. Enjoy!

This is walking into the dining hall; IT'S HUGE!
img0406f.jpg

img0413p.jpg

img0409n.jpg

This one is of the security proctor station to get into the buildings' rooms, along with a lounge space on the other side.
img0416l.jpg

img0419w.jpg

Really quickly, this is part of the exercise space on the second floor of the building. There will be a number of machines that look right out onto the "roof garden" as well as out to SW Corridor Park and Ruggles T Stop.
img0427l.jpg

img0425q.jpg

These photos are from the top of the East tower on the 22nd floor. The first one shows the garden in the center of the buildings; there was a lot of planting going on while we were on our tour, but the garden is beautiful.
img0432r.jpg

And these ones are pretty self explanatory: two views, and a look at the hallway design.
img0434oee.jpg

img0439l.jpg

img0438mro.jpg

Yes, DSHOOST88, thank you for taking the time to shoot and post.

The design is fairly ugly...but in a way it isn't that bad as there is a nice unity between the two buildings and the surrounding environs. It is even somewhat quarky.

What I like most is that the buildings appear bright and colorful...they are like pastel colors, which this city needs a bit more of..they could have, of course, used better shades of cheap bonding, as the ones they did use are a bit odd, but at least the buildings do have some color!

On the other hand; when it rains heavily outside...the buildings look at their worst...like soggy cardboard boxes

For the area, I like this. If it serve as a harbinger for more development in the area (Malnea Cass Blvd, over the tracks, Tremont south of Mass Ave) then it will serve its purpose.
To follow up on my prior post^, I drove by this yesterday and I like it even more in person. It made me think of city hall - a building which, although unquestionably ugly, has come to define a "type" in the city. Maybe this will do likewise.

The inside looks nice, pretty much what youd expect from a modern dorm.

I still hate the outside though.

Kind of reminds me of tetris. It has some unforgivable angles (like the one from Centennial Common) but at least it is interesting and not TOO offensive.

Edit: Plus, I can't wait to eat at that dining hall in January ;)

Me neither. I no longer live on campus and I don't have a dining plan, but I can't wait to check it out.

I'm somewhat alarmed that nobody on this forum has brought up the roof collapse at Northeastern this morning. I actually lived in that dorm last summer and still have goosebumps about what happened:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/decorative_trim_1.html

Nevertheless, I'd like to consider what this means for the fate of 337 Huntington Ave. I'm sure the building will be fine; however, if the building is deemed uninhabitable and residents are obligated to move out, what do you all think NU should do with the building?

A) Renovate the building to make sure it's structurally sound.
B) Demolish the building and put a park there.
C) Demolish the building and put a new, 20+ floor residence hall there.
D) Preserve the existing facade of the building and put a 20+ floor residence hall there.
E) None of the above / other.

I'm quite interested to hear your thoughts.

C. NEU is trying to turn itself from a commuter school to a more traditional university. They need to build more dorms including the stalled building K. NEU definitely have the money to do so.

NU can get away with putting a 20 plus story dorm inside of its already existing campus or in LoRo, but there is no way in hell NU could ever get that large of building through right on Huntington Avenue near all those family apartments. That intersection is so busy as is, adding 500 more kids would be chaos

Back