Northeastern eyes dorms

My guess is NU will use this time to gut the inside to make it work better and fit more students. Similar to what they did to White Hall last year (maybe 2) or to Kerr Hall after Kerr-boom

NEU is trying to turn itself from a commuter school to a more traditional university.
"Trying"? Mission accomplished. Northeastern is now a respected university and highly sought after by both in-state and out-of-state students. Campus physical improvements are certainly a large part of that, but so are academic improvements. And no, I am not an alum or otherwise affliliated with the University

A) Renovate the building to make sure it's structurally sound.
B) Demolish the building and put a park there.
C) Demolish the building and put a new, 20+ floor residence hall there.
D) Preserve the existing facade of the building and put a 20+ floor residence hall there.
E) None of the above / other.

Given the budget ailments of other area schools, I'm assuming that they are not immune to budgetary issues, so I would say they will probably just strip off the rest of the cornice and give the building a more 'modern' look, rather than go through the expense of replicating and replacing it. :(

Glass fiber reinforced concrete replacement cornices are their friend.

That WAS a fancy building built to suit the tastes of the opera house next door. The lobby of that building is still rather fancy, I particularly love the transom grille, if you've ever looked in at night. However given the area's history of absentee landlords preceding dormitory status, dropped ceilings visible from the windows, I'm sure the remained of the inside probably matches the cornice on the sidewalk.

My guess is NU will use this time to gut the inside to make it work better and fit more students. Similar to what they did to White Hall last year (maybe 2) or to Kerr Hall after Kerr-boom

The White Hall "renovation" was more of a paintjob... I lived in it before (student) and after (R.A.) the renovation, and they really didn't do much besides replacing piping and other such things. It's still a residence hall filled with rooms built for 2 but occupied by 3...

Northeastern University and Harvard College are listed by Princeton Review amongst the 15 schools in the U.S. that made the "Green Honor Roll."

http://www.princetonreview.com/green-honor-roll.aspx

Northeastern University has integrated energy conservation into its facilities management plans since the 1980s. Most recently, the school replaced 70,000 traditional lamps with fluorescent lamps that will reduce carbon emissions by 686 tons annually. International Village, Northeastern?s new mixed-use dorm/office building, will be submitted for LEED Gold certification. Once certified, International Village will be the largest residence hall in the United States to meet this standard of sustainability. Additionally, International Village is working with a national non-profit to improve the environmental impact of its dining hall.

As a result of ?Project Clean Plate?, an aggressive food composting initiative, approximately 594 tons of dining hall service and catering food waste was composted in 2008. This numbers is expected to increase dramatically in 2009. Northeastern's recycling program started over 20 years ago and has expanded to include thirteen different categories of collected items, including asphalt and construction materials.

Harvard College is dedicated to confronting the challenges of climate change and global sustainability both through academic research and by translating that research into action on campus. Harvard?s goal is to reduce emissions 30% below a 2006 baseline by 2016. These commitments are administered through the Harvard Office for Sustainability.

Harvard now has 62 building projects in process toward achieving LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification, a 55% recycling rate, renewable energy projects on campus, composting in residential and commercial dining halls, organic landscaping in Harvard Yard, and a drive-alone rate of only 16.5%, to name just a few examples.

I'm taking another tour of International Village tomorrow afternoon. Are there any questions you guys would like me to ask the building manager? Or, perhaps, is there anything you'd like me to take a photograph of?

I'm taking another tour of International Village tomorrow afternoon. Are there any questions you guys would like me to ask the building manager? Or, perhaps, is there anything you'd like me to take a photograph of?

It would be great if you could get a shot of the large Shepard Fairey that's been installed in one of the dorms. Thanks.

Alright, so I toured I.V. today and it was more awesome than my last visit. I'm super-psyched because I'll be moving into the building in 10 days and may actually be the first resident in the building! I'll add photos later, but just wanted to assure everyone that International Village is the resident hall of the 21st century. It is literally a model for college living that schools around the U.S. may look to when planning new campus housing.

Why was Fairey arrested again? And dshoost88...best wishes for a great year at Northeastern!

dscn1790l.jpg

wiffleball field upgrades? ;)

I just spoke to someone from housing services about that. They're doing a few things.

A) They're updating drainage at that quad because it has become a problem in the last few years there.
B) The school is putting a brand new wiffle ball field there.
C) Of course more green space and trees will be added too.
D) Stairs will be added by the handicap ramp from the Huntington Avenue sidewalk, so you won't have to wind all the way around the ramp to get down to that quad.

It sounds pretty harmless.

Also... 3 MORE DAYS TILL I MOVE INTO INTERNATIONAL VILLAGE!!!

Boy, it's really hard being a student today.

img0584j.jpg

img0583i.jpg

img0567s.jpg

img0587asc.jpg

img0591mkx.jpg

This photo is of the work NU is paying for to redo the link at S.W. Corridor Park connecting the Roxbury part with the Ruggles/South End segment. It's coming along beautifully.
img0578f.jpg

Back