Northeastern to Build in Burlington

Maybe it's just me, but I find that she left it to the city of Boston as kind of annoying.

When you look at the google map that Van linked, you can see that there's no dearth of conservation land in the immediate area. I wonder how the public access to these others compares with Mary Cummins Park.

In any case, it's hard to blame Boston for a lack of interest in a cash-negative proposition that doesn't help Boston residents. I wonder if some special legislation could transfer the title to Woburn or Burlington.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that she left it to the city of Boston as kind of annoying.

Well, think about it, back then what was the only municipality that had the resources and track record to create a "public pleasure ground."? She left it to Boston for the same reason that Dorchester, Roxbury, and other towns agreed to be annexed by Boston in the 19th century; it was in their interest that Boston take the lead.

You find it annoying? Do you drive past that tract of land every day and curse her name or something? Why find this annoying? Did you even know about it before this thread? Who cares.

It is annoying if my property taxes are paying to maintain a park that Burlinton residents use. But it doesn't sound like Boston is spending much money on this "park".

Well, think about it, back then what was the only municipality that had the resources and track record to create a "public pleasure ground."? She left it to Boston for the same reason that Dorchester, Roxbury, and other towns agreed to be annexed by Boston in the 19th century; it was in their interest that Boston take the lead.

You find it annoying? Do you drive past that tract of land every day and curse her name or something? Why find this annoying? Did you even know about it before this thread? Who cares.

Good point. I didn't consider the context of time when this park was created. However, it doesn't make sense for it to remain in the trust of the City of Boston anymore.

I think you took my annoyance too literal.

I think you took my annoyance too literal.

Lol yeah. Starting fights on the internet again...

But I think you might be right, maybe it is time to turn the park over to a municipality that will take care of it. OR MAYBE IT IS TIME FOR A NEW MAYOR.

Don't forget, if Mr. Menino steps down, we will get to enjoy discussing the talents of Mayor Michael Ross.

Thanks you Statler! That was fabulous. Not only did the Mayor fub sports knowledge ("Varitek splitting the uprights") but he also gave a shout out to Archboston members with the random reference to Greek architecture (calling Bobby Orr's goal "Ionic" instead of "Iconic").

If I were doing scientific research at Northeastern University, I'd hate to be stuck out there in the middle of nowhere instead of on campus with everyone else.

What a ridiculous response. Burlington is a major center of technological research and has had a sattelite campus for Northeastern since the early 70's. These types of posts come from people that moved to Boston from rural places, and now are "Bostonians" with pink Red Sox hats and Patriots sweat shirts sipping a late in Davis Square.

Pro tip: Don't insult long standing and well regarded members in your first post.

Lol yeah. Starting fights on the internet again...

But I think you might be right, maybe it is time to turn the park over to a municipality that will take care of it. OR MAYBE IT IS TIME FOR A NEW MAYOR.

It is very obvious you aren't from Boston, let me guess, upstate NY? Now a "city slicker"...now the foremost intellect on a post regarding the expansion of a major university to a sought after area where the population growth is 100k + per day. Love your type - from scared college kid in Boston too Mr. NYC...Your comments about Burlington are unfounded - same as your made up internet persona of "big city" attitude.

Ok, but as a rule it makes for better conversation to attack what a person has written, rather than the poster themselves. Otherwise people are just going to write you off as a troll and ignore your posts.

Your comments about Burlington are unfounded

Let's see, here are my posts about Burlington:

Ron, this is the suburbs, 2 miles is only a few blocks in urban space/time. Also, why would you ever assume people walk to places in Burlington?

Burlington, in my experience of going there all the time in high school, is a typical auto-dependent suburb. True there is a small town center but when people talk about Burlington you know they mean the mall. And the mall area is huge, only navigable by car. My response to Ron had more to do with perception of space/time when walking vs driving. If you think that is unfounded then you've probably never been to Burlington.

now the foremost intellect on a post regarding the expansion of a major university to a sought after area

Now I have two personal trolls, awesome! Let's see if I can get them to fight one another.

where the population growth is 100k + per day

LOL What is this China?

Welcome to the forums.

Here's the thing that alot of people are ignoring on these posts. Prior to the 1950's there was no suburbs (or they really didn't exist too much). We built highways, expanded our footprint outward from the gritty cities of then. Made our culture dependent on oil, commuting, and suburban sprawl...we got lazy, drive everwhere, public transportation got worse...etc. Now the focus is to build where we work, around public transportation, downtown centers where you can get everything you need (food, drink, groceries, advil, beer, wine, randomness...etc.). Lowell, Burlington, Malden, [Westwood] are all building these centers - and I'm sure alot of other communities. I don't agree with a sprawling ridiculous office park - but I think that progressive ideas in these cities/towns are realizing that housing needs to be close to restaurants/work/etc.

Let's see, here are my posts about Burlington:

Burlington, in my experience of going there all the time in high school, is a typical auto-dependent suburb. True there is a small town center but when people talk about Burlington you know they mean the mall. And the mall area is huge, only navigable by car. My response to Ron had more to do with perception of space/time when walking vs driving. If you think that is unfounded then you've probably never been to Burlington.

Now I have two personal trolls, awesome! Let's see if I can get them to fight one another.

LOL What is this China?

Welcome to the forums.

Same thing as China...just took a look at your futurembta site, great progressive ideas. Now if Boston only took a page from the NYC idea of expand the train with the population, keep it open for people 24/7, and you might turn a profit.

Now the focus is to build where we work, around public transportation, downtown centers where you can get everything you need (food, drink, groceries, advil, beer, wine, randomness...etc.). Lowell, Burlington, Malden, [Westwood] are all building these centers - and I'm sure alot of other communities.

I assume you are referring to River's Edge in Malden?

Don't be fooled. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Plenty of parking for residents and workers and a bitch of a walk to Wellington station. Very little in way of on-site amenities (a gym and Starbucks as far as I know).

Granted, this could change over time, but it will still take some massive structural changes. It's better than a bunch of single family home sitting on two-acre plots to be sure, but they could have (and should have) built much better 'bones' for the area.

Burlington has at least one large office park (I think it's called New England Executive Park) which is a short walk to the mall without crossing any major streets or climbing any hills. Unfortunately this is not where Northeastern's satellite campus is.

Having landscaped in Burlington I can tell you its residential neighborhoods are suburban at best and some places are down right rural

Back