Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

The lack of desirable space isn't as bad as the lack of resources (no plotter, no laser cutter, lack of any kind of in-studio printing, list goes on). Northeastern, considering its endowment, is really selling its architecture students short.

Being an engineering student, and still considering Northeastern an engineering school (I'm sure they no longer do), I find the COE spaces to be surprisingly sub par. From the cramped computer labs to the really substandard physics labs. It almost blows my mind.

I am very happy to see the major portion of the proposed next 10 year plan includes heavy investment in research space and engineering upgrades.

I know this isn't exactly part of the IMP but I didn't want to start a new Northeastern thread. There are already enough of them. Perhaps we should change the title from IMP to NEU development thread.

Northeastern University renovates student center
Boston Business Journal by Thomas Grillo, Real Estate Editor
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:59am EDT

Construction is underway on the renovation of Northeastern University’s Curry Student Center.

Considered the center of campus life, the renovated facility is a place for special events, student services, dining and activities. Among the improvements include the revitalization of the 514-seat, ground floor dining hall and the addition of a new 3,000-square-foot glass mezzanine with 196 seats, according to the design team. The mezzanine — “floating within the two-story space” — links dining and student center functions, creating a flow-through and gathering places for students.

Finishes and comfortable seating areas are expected to create a student-friendly ambiance, offering a variety of dining experiences from counters to lounge areas, and encouraging use throughout the day, the designers said. The dining options and vendors are unified with the school’s branding and the use of Northeastern’s bold red color to create a cohesive identity for this active space, the designers said. Dining selections include Northeastern’s branded food concepts, local operators and national vendors.

Suffolk Construction of Boston is the general contractor and the architect is Cambridge-based Prellwitz Chilinski Associates.

Rendering:

http://assets.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/0614_Northeastern_Curry_Center*900.jpg?v=1

My only problem with this is that it seems with the added Mezzanine, the performance area will probably no longer exist. Also, will there be elevator access to the Mezzanine?

Surely ADA requires elevator access to any new floor that is built in a university building.

When a new level qualifies as a mezzanine, many requirements a "floor" would have can be avoided.

Just more of the shell game in design and development.

ADA also generally only requires equal access to amenities/services, such that there is no discernible discrimination. If there are no unique services/amenities on the mezzanine, it probably doesn't require an elevator.

ADA also generally only require equal access, meaning that if there are no unique services/amenities on the mezzanine it probably doesn't require an elevator.

The Mezzanine is supposed to serve by new fast food restaurants. From the rendering, it seems the path leading to the left may be connected to the elevator shaft that currently exists. I'm not 100% sure though.

I just want it to be open again. I just realized there was a taco bell on campus, right when this thing closed.
Now i'm still screwed after class.
Come the fall however, between the food court here being open again, and discovering the student lounge upstairs. I should miss significantly less B's games this year.

I just want it to be open again. I just realized there was a taco bell on campus, right when this thing closed.
Now i'm still screwed after class.
Come the fall however, between the food court here being open again, and discovering the student lounge upstairs. I should miss significantly less B's games this year.

Taco Bell will still be there once it reopens.

There are a load of construction photos here:

http://www.nudining.com/photos/curry-construction

The renderings are here and it doesn't seem like there is an elevator connection to the mezzanine...

http://www.nudining.com/retail/curry-dining

BOOOOOO!!!!! HISSSSSS!!!
Much like it is pretold to us in Demolition Man. Taco Bell will be the last man standing in the fast food wars, because it is the tastiest out there.
As long as they keep making chicken baja chalupa's for me since they are off the menu.
Get rid of any of the other places, but I need my border runs. (sans the runs.)

Anna's sucks imho. Dorado is much better any day of the week. Bring in a Dorado!

there's a taco bell in northeastern? Where is it? I've been having to go to the galleria mall for my taco bell.

Anna's is great but taco bell is a different kind of great.

As an Arizonan observing a battle to decide whether Taco Bell or Anna's is better...:eek: I want to give you all a hug.

Hey I love "real" Mexican food.
This is very different than my love of Taco Bell.
And, I've been going to Northeastern since 2009, and just now found out there is a Taco Bell, only to find it closed.
Imagine my chagrin.

This isn't part of the IMP, but I wanted to share these photos. Several months ago, I was very giddy on here about a new project taking place at Northeastern. Well the veil has been lifted this week: Northeastern opened their brand new Visitor Center.

New Visitor Center at NU (1) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (2) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (3) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (4) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (5) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (6) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (7) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (8) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (9) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (10) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (11) by cacique123, on Flickr

New Visitor Center at NU (12) by cacique123, on Flickr

It's open to the public (obviously) and everyone should check it out--especially if you have a prospective student in the family you can take along!

What an amazing facility!! I have to go see it! Is this the most sophisticated visitors center in the country? I wouldn't be surprised. The seminar room is definitely welcomed. I had my intro seminar in an awkward 4th floor room in Curry when I visited.

I love the exposed shear K-bracing too. =)

Back