Novartis Campus | 181-211 Mass Ave, 22 Windsor Street | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Re: Novartis Expansion

Crash575 are you inside the site fence?

Last edited:

My photos are from outside the fence. However, I am involved with the project.

The place behind the Lenox has a few, too. I've always wondered if their use was related to the type of foundation or not.

They are just temporary braces used to brace any kind of cantilevered retaining foundation wall. When the steel frame is erected and becomes the bracing, or if they install deadmen, or rock anchors, these will be taken out.

cca

8556998439_5f2f563c2e_b.jpg

I just heard they're scrapping the rest of the Green Line elevated at North Point so they can put more metal towards the war effort going on to keep the walls up around this hole.

Yeah since when does a foundation wall need two levels worth of braces?

On another note, this one is finally about to go vertical!

Yeah since when does a foundation wall need two levels worth of braces?

On another note, this one is finally about to go vertical!
There are actually 3 levels of bracing some places.
I heard it said that the amount of temporary steel in the hole is about 100 tons less than the total steel that will be used in the northern most tower. Steel erection on this building started about 2 weeks ago.
Also the 3rd tower crane is supposed to be set up this long weekend.

^ Nice! Thanks for all the info.

geep9 did you happen to take this around 3PM today? I think I walked right by you while taking a similar photo!

Yep, camera says just after 3pm. I needed to get away from the news on the internet, so I took a walk down to the river. Also wanted to get a picture of the all-Asia block before it goes away.
They've inconveniently placed the cranes as to make getting them in one picture difficult!

If you guys look at the clouds in your pictures, you'll see they're almost exactly the same. You were within minutes of each other at the very most.

I'm happy to see this progressing, though I will actually miss this hole in the ground. A huge pit in the middle of Cambridge was, honestly, a rather incredible sight.

Yesterday:

8711625840_624f38e204_b.jpg

8711622546_bc7b0abfe8_b.jpg

8711619418_6564a61211_b.jpg

On a related note, this project wins the award for best sidewalk shed:

8710493731_3e143ca416_b.jpg

8711621044_ac5937f6bf_b.jpg

8711624056_9891768942_b.jpg

^ That's stunning! So much fun.

Back