NYC Architecture and Development

The new Ronald Perelman performing arts center is finally u/c at the wtc complex! Heres some renders of whats to come:

REX-PACWTC3-V3HUBD2-FINALE-2019-A-1920x1080.jpg

REX-PACWTC3-V1B-NOSCULPT-FINAL-V4-1400x788-777x437.jpg

WTC-Performing-Arts-Center-REX-1.jpg

REX-perelman-performing-arts-center-world-trade-center-new-york-designboom-600.jpg

Perelman.jpg

HiresREX-PACWTC3-V2-FINAL-NOSCULPT-V4_LUXIGON-777x437.jpg

9-REX-PERELMAN-PERFORMING-ARTS-CENTER-SOUTHNIGHT150-e1473367041193.jpg

REX-Perelman-WTC-Performing-Arts-Center-32-1920x1080.jpg

BN-PT162_NYWTCs_M_20160908122240.jpg

rex-architecture-ronald-o-perelman-performing-arts-center-world-trade-center_dezeen_7.jpg

3b9f7038b647482f958cad2706bd2135.6e7b65d0.jpg

There's a really cool hill a bit past the GS Pkwy,
maybe 16 or 17 miles from Midtown as the crow flies.
The elevation isn't very high--but it is fairly high.
Most of the hill is dense forest. But, it has a road, with a few houses.
Some of the homes might have great views near the rooftops.
But one property has a back yard nearly bereft of trees, and an unobstructed view
at ground level.
In the winter, it gets better. I wonder if anyone takes photos here.
On a clear day, it is quite splendid.

From this distance, the iconic view of Manhattan is often degraded from atmospheric effects.
With snow moving in (yesterday), the view was poor, probably affected by mist,
or something like virga--no good for nice images.
The blessed were home. No matter.
Conspicuous, i walked into the yard, unyielding, clear way to the back--
and snapped a few pics.
This image doesn't do the place justice.
On a clear day you jump out of your shoes.

high res image is 7100x2750

Last edited:
^^^If you don't want to go through some guy's backyard, next time try Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange, NJ. The views from there are really good on a clear day. Speaking of which, my grandparents' house was up on one of those hills out in NJ, with a view of the entire midtown skyline out the kitchen window!

450 11th Avenue
487'
After BU,
Is Boston ready for something this cool in the Fenway?

457974e5-f946-41a0-835e-fe32fd5eaf22.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, somehow I forgot about that....this has been an incredible cycle for Boston--and really the whole country if you look at some of the developments. New York hasn't seen a skyline transformation like this since the 1920s/1930s.

The NY skyline is radically different than the one I remember from the 90s. Especially with the new Supertalls going up in Midtown.

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot about that....this has been an incredible cycle for Boston--and really the whole country if you look at some of the developments. New York hasn't seen a skyline transformation like this since the 1920s/1930s.
So much for "Never Forget"...

Subtractions from the skyline aside, starting with the New York Times and BoA buildings in early 2000's through today, I think the New York skyline has been in a constant, jaw-dropping state of flux for 20 years. Ours has been a nice change, but it isn't remotely close. Just look at all that blue in the last line of this poster:

1578685844624.png

Sorry to contribute to the derailment

Last edited:
i noticed it too, around 1999, the new towers started coming......
steady for a few years, then it started to pick up around the mid-2000's
then BOOM!!

So much for "Never Forget"...

Subtractions from the skyline aside, starting with the New York Times and BoA buildings in early 2000's through today, I think the New York skyline has been in a constant, jaw-dropping state of flux for 20 years. Ours has been a nice change, but it isn't remotely close. Just look at all that blue in the last line of this poster:

Sorry to contribute to the derailment

Oh absolutely, I agree. I re-read what I said and I realized the way I phrased it sounds like I'm saying NY isn't experiencing a skyline transformation like Boston...I meant that New York's skyline is changing as dramatically as it did in the 20s/30s. The supertall boom there has been unbelievable.

Too bad most of the supertalls are absorbently expensive condos that are used for investments. :/
I like height, but for some reason, I don't find the new supertalls in Manhattan that attractive.

Too bad most of the supertalls are absorbently expensive condos that are used for investments. :/
I like height, but for some reason, I don't find the new supertalls in Manhattan that attractive.
They look like crematorium chimneys

Foster and Partners is back for 2 WTC! I was really saddened to see what I thought as one of the best modern towers to be proposed be replaced with a stack of boxes by BIG, though there's not promising language surrounding if they're retaining the original design or not.

foster’s design is being ‘significantly modified to be more reflective of contemporary needs and taste’. however, no rendering is currently available as the scheme is still a work in progress.

Still holding hope they execute well here. No indication on any start date, as they still have to lease 3 WTC before this can begin, which still has a few more floors left to lease.

For reference, the original 2006 proposed design:
1579373440704.png

Replaced in 2015 by BIG with this:
1579373491327.png

Source: norman foster, not bjarke ingels, is reworking plans for 2 world trade center

I was very glad to see this news as well. I'm sure there will be a new design, and who knows how much for the 4 diamonds tower will remain, but thank god that stack of boxes is not going to become reality.

Foster and Partners is back for 2 WTC! I was really saddened to see what I thought as one of the best modern towers to be proposed be replaced with a stack of boxes by BIG, though there's not promising language surrounding if they're retaining the original design or not.

Still holding hope they execute well here. No indication on any start date, as they still have to lease 3 WTC before this can begin, which still has a few more floors left to lease.

For reference, the original 2006 proposed design:
View attachment 2826

Replaced in 2015 by BIG with this:
View attachment 2827

Source: norman foster, not bjarke ingels, is reworking plans for 2 world trade center

Couldnt believe this news! They made the right call. This never happens, where they revert back. Downtown is going to be iconic!

Last edited:
Heres a cool video of the midtown towers/supertalls modelled into nyc.

Do we have anyone capable of doing this for Boston? That would be amazing.

Didn't know this thread existed...

Here is:
LHS: 50 Hudson Yards | 58 stories | 1,000 ft tall - most expensive office building cost at $3.9B, designed by Foster + Partners. This is a beast. Podium office floors can sit 500 people per floor.

RHS: 66 Hudson Boulevard, aka, "The Spiral" by BIG | 65 stories | 1,000 ft tall

A nice contrast between concrete cores and steel cores. These 2 are rising at about the same pace and will be about the same height to the roof

49420425957_9806640933_c.jpg

49420425792_5c51ef53a1_c.jpg

49420425787_16898550d9_c.jpg

Back