Ode to Brutalism

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
99% Invisible (Podcast) has a double-tribute to Michael McKinnell, co-designer of Boston City Hall. Second half of episode is a tribute to Michael Sorkin (architecture critic)
Great photos.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon...

Hey, that's where I got my undergraduate degree. I graduated in 1976 and really loved Paul Rudolph's buildings, both inside and out, as well as the positioning of the buildings on the campus. I felt very fortunate to have been there; the first and only person in my family to ever attend college. I went on to get a masters later at Oregon State. It's an awesome campus in a beautiful part of the state,

Lrfox

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon...

Thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

I grew up in the area and UMD was a hub for a lot of activities throughout my childhood. I attended baseball camps there between ages 8-13, we had swim meets there (Bishop Stang used the pool back then), and I attended various one-off events there until I went away to college. It's part of the reason I became fascinated with architecture. I didn't appreciate it when I was an adolescent, but I knew something was special about it (even if many of the adults mocked the buildings). I'd highly recommend anyone in the area take a stroll through the campus if you have the chance.