Ode to Brutalism

stefal

Reaction score
(can this thread be moved to general architecture & urban planning? I went there first to find this)

Everson Museum Of Art - I.M. Pei (1968)
1622810326210.png

1622810340799.png

Burroughs-Wellcome, Cafeteria - Paul Rudolph
1622810445395.png

(didn't turn out as sexy as this drawing suggests)

Source

Blackbird

Reaction score
1975 rendering of the Lahey Hospital's new campus out in Burlington... sharing not so much because the architecture is noteworthy but more for the mood that a black and white rendering of an institutional behemoth as filtered through a gritty, faded newspaper print can create. IMO it doesn't get much more big, bad brutalist seventies than this

From Burlington Retro
Why would you want a hospital of all things to look so menacing and uninviting?

Government buildings I can understand, but not this.

Roxxma

Reaction score
Why would you want a hospital of all things to look so menacing and uninviting?

Government buildings I can understand, but not this.
Maybe that's why it wasn't approved the first time it was brought up at Town Meeting in the early 70s (though a lot of opposition at the time was due to local support for Woburn's Choate Hospital and Winchester Hospital.. In the end, it didn't end up looking a whole like that. It was a just as bland, but turned out to be a somewhat symmetrical, less menacing building built into the hillside (a good change from many hospitals which are the result of add-ons and end up with very confusing floor plans. When it was expanded in the 90s, the extension built-the third segment, closest to 128 with the void underneath and signage- looked like it was built with the original two segment building). Burlington Retro, by the way, is one of the better local history sites I've seen.

stefal

Reaction score
BTW, the newly elected Mayor of Boston loves City Hall. Let her know if you want a tour...
1636073756644.png

I still think the plaza is the major offender and the building would be better complemented by a well-designed one, and I love Sasaki's work, but fear we won't see something that helps the building.