On The Dot | 505 Dorchester Avenue | South Boston

Feel like the lab/commercial component should be flipped for the residential here given the waning demand for office space.

Feel like the lab/commercial component should be flipped for the residential here given the waning demand for office space.

The only demand for anything that matters in development is demand from potential financing sources. You can propose all the housing you want - it seems no one will finance it.

Cladding color reminds me of Andes mint cocolate filling:

1693413357053.png

Every person I have spoken to from Dorchester or South Boston passionately hates the name and is not exactly sure why. Kind of like Whoop

Call it The Not-So-Dainty Dot to confuse folks even more with the New England tradition of naming places after former businesses from unrelated locations.

The renders have cartoon trees and people drawn onto them so I wonder if the buildings were made dull to go along with the cartoony overall look. It seems that way imo. Regardless Id like to see more green buildings go up to change things up a bit. More color would def be a positive.

The renders have cartoon trees and people drawn onto them so I wonder if the buildings were made dull to go along with the cartoony overall look. It seems that way imo. Regardless Id like to see more green buildings go up to change things up a bit. More color would def be a positive.
This is probably one of those developments where the finished buildings will look a lot better than the renders, which look like they were exposed too long in a glass window and bleached out by the sunlight.

On the Dot’s five residential buildings will have 1,450 apartments, of which 17 percent will be set aside at affordable rents, along with 2.4 million square feet of life-science facilities, offices, and retail in six other buildings. Core expects buildout to take 10 to 15 years, over four phases, the first including a 325-unit apartment building at 495 Dorchester Ave.

Thank GOD this is going forward. Whenever I go from Fort Point or Seaport heading towards Broadway and down to Dorchester there's this grim feeling of "island hopping" through developed, useful spaces spread apart by either low-rise industrial buildings, bombed out urban hellscapes, or otherwise traffic-filled hostile stretches. The area just north of Andrew is the worst (maybe tied with with Old Colony between B and Moakley Park). Putting people and buildings across Dot ave will make this so much better for everyone, especially with the inevitable sidewalk and other infrastructure improvements.

The 5-star intersection at Andrew is also pretty miserable for pedestrians and cyclists, so massing residential buildings on the north and west side of the square will mean that all the new people can get to and from the red line with no or very few crossings. Hoping they'll flip to one more residential building across the development, but in any case PLEASE just build the hell out of this thing.

Ok, so another but adjacent project to this one, but what's wild to me is that this area (based on that old map) was actually called Washington Village; meaning the name of the Samuels project isn't random at all, but actually quite appropriate. 🤯

I never noticed they want to re-route D street, interesting. It makes sense with more density the existing weird intersection of D Damrell and Dot Ave would be a mess

Back