One Canal (formerly Greenway Center) | Bullfinch Triangle | West End

^ Just walked by there Friday. I thought it was nice how that corner entryway matches the height of the adjacent historic building to the left, but I am not sure about the choice of cladding material on that entryway. I think it clashes. I generally like One Canal, but that small corner entryway appendage was an opportunity to tie it in better with the old buildings on Canal St. They could have gotten away with a less modern facade on that entryway because it is somewhat isolated as an appendage to the main building. Something of brick or stone could have transitioned better to the main building. Just my 2 cents.

I very much dislike alucobond as cladding.

Occasionally you get someone doing something creative with it but most of the time it is just...that.

Some street-level details during a walk around this evening:

Glass for retail looks very reflective, but I'm not sure if that's simply because the interior's not lit, there's some removable film on the glass or something else. I'm still very concerned this corner will continue being the vacuous butt of this block with such a large contiguous retail space and no apparent way to subdivide the stall. I feel like this is the opposite kind of development to what we're getting in Fenway — an example of what is repeatedly touted as the reason why modern development is 'killing our cities'...continuous, vacuous walls that make you feel like you're not supposed to be there as a pedestrian.

Absolute win that this development is here... I just hope the height difference from the street doesn't completely disallow this stall from getting subdivided.

I'm still not feeling the love in regards to this building. It's nice that it infilled a gaping whole in the urban fabric, but it just seems mediocre; not too hideous, just kind of blah.

I look forward to the street level being activated. Until those storefronts are turned on, it's tough to judge the impact of this. I rather like the view of the building from the Greenway; the window scheme is nice (and somehow feels a bit unique despite us seeing an exhaustive amount of "creative" window schemes lately).

I look forward to the street level being activated. Until those storefronts are turned on, it's tough to judge the impact of this. I rather like the view of the building from the Greenway; the window scheme is nice (and somehow feels a bit unique despite us seeing an exhaustive amount of "creative" window schemes lately).

Until and unless they make the sidewalks wider here and put the downramp on a diet (that thing is waaay too wide), this is going to be a long wait.

This thing might as well be facing rutherford ave or morrissey blvd as it stands now - it's a really crappy streetscape.

We hear that sentiment.... but my God, after those 5 or 6 (at least) more big towers, 5-6 infill projects are finally completed, after the Seaport, New York Streets, Albany corridor, NorthPoint and Dot Ave get going–the traffic is going to be totally INSANE...

Enjoy Downtown Boston while you can. The cataclysm is coming.

The pike is already the worst its ever been in my lifetime. Which has nothing to do with the towers and everything to do with the economy and the electronic tolling, but we already need a new solution for that because it is horrendous. 93 goes without saying.

The pike is already the worst its ever been in my lifetime. Which has nothing to do with the towers and everything to do with the economy and the electronic tolling, but we already need a new solution for that because it is horrendous. 93 goes without saying.

93 is just insanity at this point going through the city. Traffic going north from Quincy/Dot is routinely gridlocked until after 11am at this point, and the traffic is 7 days a week. Towers in the city itself and on transit won't change it that much - what we need to a full revamp and expansion of trains.

93 is just insanity at this point going through the city. Traffic going north from Quincy/Dot is routinely gridlocked until after 11am at this point, and the traffic is 7 days a week. Towers in the city itself and on transit won't change it that much - what we need to a full revamp and expansion of trains.

But...but...the Big Dig was supposed to solve all these traffic problems! At least that's what they told us 25 years ago.

Re: Greenway Center (Bulfinch Triangle)

^
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-34.jpg
What happened to this?

Back