One Canal (formerly Greenway Center) | Bullfinch Triangle | West End

Re: Greenway Center (Bulfinch Triangle)

Would love a Trader Joe here.

This is a perfect opportunity for Wegmans to come in. I'm sure they can get the space with a landscaper.

Rendering from today's Herald.
05666b_OneCanal_greenway_view.jpg

How big is 21,300 square feet? I have no idea how that compares to a typical grocery store. Is it the size of the Trader Joe's in Coolidge Corner? The Whole Foods in Brighton? The Village Market in Roslindale? These are all smaller than the typical Stop and Shop, and I'm thinking that the phrase "urban grocery store" implies something similarly smaller, but I don't know enough about what would be a typical footprint.

How big is 21,300 square feet? I have no idea how that compares to a typical grocery store. Is it the size of the Trader Joe's in Coolidge Corner? The Whole Foods in Brighton? The Village Market in Roslindale? These are all smaller than the typical Stop and Shop, and I'm thinking that the phrase "urban grocery store" implies something similarly smaller, but I don't know enough about what would be a typical footprint.
Jamaica Plain Whole Foods supposedly 13,700 sq ft.
http://jamaicaplain.patch.com/articles/video-tour-whole-foods-market-jamaica-plain#video-8276778

^^^ video tour included.

The JP Whole Foods would be about the size of a typical Trader Joe's.
Safeway just closed a store in the Watergate in DC that was 16,000 sq ft, and that was small for a national chain. I think a lot of stores want to be able to sell beer and wine, or at least wine. Whether that is an issue re: the Bulfinch Triangle, I don't know.

That rendering is so similar to Atelier 505.

Anyone know if the current (and, IMO, great) 3-story arcade with the white terracotta facade (home of Mulligans, Busker Lounge, Osteria Rustico, etc.) between Canal and North Washington right off Valenti Way will remain under this new design?

That arcade is a great old remnant of the area, and I think different designs for the "Bulfinch Center" have had different plans to destroy, or not destroy, the arcade for the sake of this garbage architecture.

Thanks, Mike. Good to see the arcade will remain.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that having this hulking, precast/alucobond landscraper hanging over it won't compromise the great streetscape on this block of Canal Street...

This thing redefines the landscraper.

^^ in its "beastishness," or in some other way?

Yeah, not content to eat up just one superblock, but two.

But then again, the Tip O'Neill is just around the corner.

Yeah, given the architectural disasters we've had since the 1960s (the Tip O'Neill being a card-carrying member of the Unfortunate Landscrapers Club), you'd think we'd have learned our lesson by now.

As they say: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I hang out with the ugly girls so that I look pretty.

I'm not in love with this by any means, but it's worlds better than this turd.

If this were executed in Roman brick and copper, it might actually be attractive. Terra cotta and zinc would be an acceptable alternative. Precast and Alucobond...not so much...

Nope.

No amount of upscale cladding is going to put a shine on this POS.

For a comparison. Your standard suburban model (Super S&S or Shaw's) is going to be between 50,000 and 60,000 sf. That's pretty much all I used to work on back in the day (not too long ago for me.... 8 years or so).

And the Wegman's announced for Route 9 in Chestnut Hill is supposed to be 70,000 s.f.

The Walmart grocery store outside Dudley Square was proposed for 34,000 square feet, for comparison's sake.

Back