One Canal (formerly Greenway Center) | Bullfinch Triangle | West End

Re: Rose Kennedy Greenway

Everyone in the North End wants a supermarket on this parcel. I hope that remains in whatever gets built here.

I don't understand why you're bringing up the BRA, as this is a state highway parcel.

Everyone in the North End wants a supermarket on this parcel. I hope that remains in whatever gets built here.

I don't understand why you're bringing up the BRA, as this is a state highway parcel.

Because if I hear another BRA employee complain about shadows over the Greenway Park, I'm going to move to Utah and pray with the Mormons. (But I will still post on these boards just because I spew the truth about incompetence)

The Greenway S*cks and these morons are trying to prevent economic growth because it doesn't benefit their own agenda. That just plainly pisses me off. No accountability is held in this city anymore, Boston should be the best city in the United States. How do I rationalize this. Just take a look at what the colleges have done in their surrounding areas Ten Years with their massive growth.

#1 Cambridge (Biotech Town)
#2 BU/BC (Comm College city)
#3 Tufts-Somerville-Davis, Union, Inman-- San Fran Feel with young vibe
#4 NorthEastern---recreated the South End feel.
#5 Fenway Park area--Im not crazy about the hotel.

Now take a look at what the BRA has done to Downtown Boston.
We have had the biggest real estate boom in History. Trillions of dollars have been made.
These are the developments that I actually like
Russia Wharf
Interncontinetal
Lincoln St

What did we miss--This is all due to poor planning
Tommy's Tower,
Filenes Disaster (Downtown plainly Sucks)
Columbus Ave
South Station (not happening for while)
W-Hotel--Bankrupt (10 Million dollar city loan)
Millilleum Place (Sucks)

Bottom line: I would rather hang out in Davis Square for night than the city of Boston.

I think a supermarket on this parcel is a terrible idea. I see it now, North Enders pushing their shopping carts across the Greenway.

This parcel is not an extension of the North End -- for that to have happened, they would have had to reconnect Hanover Street with Quincy Market unobstructed by the park. But, the North End community griped about not having their own park space and beat out sensible urban planning.

A supermarket, if necessary in the North End at all (which is questionable) would be more appropriate in the vicinity of Battery Wharf.

A supermarket at Battery Wharf would have water as much of its radius, and would not serve the city as well as one near Haymarket, right next to a T station. Battery Wharf is as far as you can get from public transit anywhere in central Boston.

A supermarket at Battery Wharf would have water as much of its radius, and would not serve the city as well as one near Haymarket, right next to a T station. Battery Wharf is as far as you can get from public transit anywhere in central Boston.

Yup. Perhaps a better crosswalk and wider sidewalks, with an activated, lively streetwall will serve to calm traffic and make it easier for people to cross back to the North End.

Also don't forget, this will serve Avenir, any potential residential at the Congress St. Garage project, the Harbor Towers, and any potential residential at the Aquarium Arch.

I think a supermarket on this parcel is a terrible idea. I see it now, North Enders pushing their shopping carts across the Greenway.

This parcel is not an extension of the North End -- for that to have happened, they would have had to reconnect Hanover Street with Quincy Market unobstructed by the park. But, the North End community griped about not having their own park space and beat out sensible urban planning.

A supermarket, if necessary in the North End at all (which is questionable) would be more appropriate in the vicinity of Battery Wharf.

The supermarket was/is what the community wants. The nearest 'supermarket' is a Whole Foods on Cambridge St. in the Charles River Plaza. And the community is less the North End, and more the West End.

Re: Greenway Center (Bulfinch Triangle)

The nearest supermarkets to this area now are the Beacon Hill Whole Foods (expensive and specialized), the Johnnie's Foodmaster in Charlestown, and Shaw's all the way over on Huntington Avenue next to the Pru.

Enough people live in the North End, Charles River Park, Beacon Hill, and Downtown to support a full-service supermarket here. And with its proximity to the T, it could easily attract customers from other areas as well. Build it.

The supermarket was/is what the community wants. The nearest 'supermarket' is a Whole Foods on Cambridge St. in the Charles River Plaza. And the community is less the North End, and more the West End.

As I've already stated, the community wants a supermarket on a completely inappropriate parcel. The irony is, of course, that they created the inappropriate parcel from their incessant and misguided rally for a Greenway park at this location. Had there been continuous streetwall along Hanover to bring back the original plan, this would not be an issue. As it stands now, if we give the North End residents what they "want" the rest of the city will end up with nothing. Well, that's already what we have.

I don't understand. Why is this an inappropriate location? It is right next to a major T station. It is not actually on the Greenway at all, it's in the Bulfinch Triangle, which has always been designated for full development. The supermarket would be just one element of the development (just as there is a Star Market and a hotel sharing a building at University Park in Cambridge).

The supermarket is not what is preventing development here. The city should gently push the developer to build at least the supermarket part now, as it will be guaranteed a substantial customer base from opening day.

Yes, bdurden, please explain why this is such an inappropriate location.

North End, Beacon Hill residents will get major supermarket
By Thomas Grillo
Thursday, August 12, 2010 - Updated 5 hours ago

Nearly a decade after the Stop & Shop supermarket closed on Cambridge Street, residents of the West End, Beacon Hill and North End neighborhoods could see a new store built on Canal Street next year.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has selected Boston-based Trinity Financial to build a Stop & Shop with up to 275 units of luxury housing above the store along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. Construction on the 12-story, $150 million project could begin as early as next summer.

Trinity has earned praise from city officials and the neighborhoods for Avenir, the apartment community next door to the proposed new development.

In May, MassDOT issued a default notice to Hines Raymond LP, which failed to start construction of the Greenway Center, a planned supermarket and office tower for the site. The developer was unable to secure financing. Trinity was one of the bidders for the project but lost out to the Hines team.

Sarah Barnat, Trinity?s project manager, said she is confident that financing for the mixed-use project will become available because she has a ?bankable? tenant in Stop & Shop and the demand for apartments is on the rise.

?We?re thrilled that we have a second chance at developing this site,? she said. ?We will make sure there?s a full-service grocery available for the neighborhood.?

Link

Hopefully this means the hideous Greenway Center design is dead.

Thoughts on whether Stop & Shop will be unfortunate competition for the new market that's supposed to go in at Haymarket garage?

Hopefully this means the hideous Greenway Center design is dead.

Thoughts on whether Stop & Shop will be unfortunate competition for the new market that's supposed to go in at Haymarket garage?

There is enough demand for food downtown that the area could support even more.

Im shocked that a small european style supermarket hasnt located downtown, like fresh and easy. Think of the trader joes on boylston, but with a more mainstream product line.

I wonder if we'll get the standard model:

stopnshopny.jpg

or the deluxe:

stop_n_shop_3_portfolio1.jpg

Retro would be cool:

2313992086_2753daeaf1_o.jpg

Is that on Morrissey Blvd.?

Im shocked that a small european style supermarket hasnt located downtown, like fresh and easy.

Would either Lambert's Marketplace or Golden Goose qualify?

Would either Lambert's Marketplace or Golden Goose qualify?

Similar, but with the lower prices a chain can provide. The europeans are good at that. Aldi, Trader Joes, Fresh and Easy.

I know youre not a big fan of chains ron, but why paid $4 for hood milk when you could be paying $2?

Similar, but with the lower prices a chain can provide. The europeans are good at that. Aldi, Trader Joes, Fresh and Easy.

I know youre not a big fan of chains ron, but why paid $4 for hood milk when you could be paying $2?

For that smug false sense of superiority one gains by conspicuously overpaying for a product because one has the disposable income to do so.

Back