One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Loving this, especially that rooftop bar!

The rooftop bar was something I brought up at one of the first community meetings and included in my written comments for this project. Super excited to see a note I gave actually incorporated into the design! Given the proximity and height of this building to Fenway Park, I think it's important that the public has the opportunity to enjoy the views.

Is there a particular date to keep an eye on for when this project might receive final approval to move ahead with permitting, financing, and (hopefully) construction? Thanks.

The rooftop bar was something I brought up at one of the first community meetings and included in my written comments for this project. Super excited to see a note I gave actually incorporated into the design! Given the proximity and height of this building to Fenway Park, I think it's important that the public has the opportunity to enjoy the views.

How cool is this!!! Usually shadows, traffic, height, are key words that seem to be listened to. Rooftop bar, what's not to like? Thanks man being a positive force in this development!

I love this too; the flatiron side looks sharp, and the fat side looks bananas thanks to the whacky design elements clearly seen on slide 26 of the BCDC pdf. I hope the colors come out just as seen in the renders.

Boston is finally getting some fun stuff in that important taller midrise category formally and unfortunately owned by the Kensington etc. This plus what’s shaping up along Bay Village’s edge.

Looks great! Except every time I see that profile view I picture someone on the sidewalk in January getting impaled by a falling icicle. Public space will shrink reallll quick in winter.

Looks great! Except every time I see that profile view I picture someone on the sidewalk in January getting impaled by a falling icicle. Public space will shrink reallll quick in winter.

I can't remember where (and I can't spend a ton of time digging), but I feel like this has been addressed somewhere.

Having these different clusters on the skyline especially against the Charles is going to be awesome. Cities in the US tend to have very centralized skylines, I think it would be cool if Boston ends up with a more London like skyline where there are many different clusters around the city and each has its own chance to stand out.

Speaking of London, since we cant go tall in Boston I think it would be badass if our tallest was instead in Volpe across the river like the shard is. Were never going to have the height of many other cities, but I think it can be made up for by having a skyline that is unique as far as US skylines go. Its already starting to take shape with Cambridge coming into its own and Kenmore as well. I think this should be the direction we take, which we are lately.

Kenmore is taking shape and bulfinch triangle is starting to become its own cluster as well, along with the established high spine and downtown filling in more too. If they can go a litter taller in Allston yards the BU tower is already imposing and Boston landing is even coming into its own too. Roxbury looks like its even going to be getting its own little cluster. Hell union sq even should be as well, ideally a cluster at each train station would be great. Pretty cool so far imo.

Last edited:
This architect is awesome. I wish we could have more of this and less Elkus Manfredi!!

Funny thing is that Elkus has done some really nice projects in NYC. Figure that a Boston firm would like to stretch its legs in its home city.

This architect is awesome. I wish we could have more of this and less Elkus Manfredi!!

agree with both of the above statements 100%.

i really, really hope that this is allowed to be built as currently proposed. no height-chopping, no VEing the design, no "toning down" the daring.

Posted by Stick on the General Boston Discussion thread
Since we were passed by the art deco limestone wonders of the 20s and 30s, how cool would it be for Boston to have a couple brick art deco towers instead.. Even just one as a foil to the custom house tower would be amazing.

The Kollhoff tower in Germany was completed in 1999.
2900.jpg

kollhoff-tower_john-w-cahill3.jpg

3044.jpg

i would prefer something like this over the funky, upside-down, setback thing
we're getting at the project known as One Kenmore Sq....
which people seem to be either describing or delineating as being implicitly incredible
(seemingly) just because it's a funky, upside-down, setback thing.
A classic, flatiron building going about 390' would be incredible at this site.
That said, if the current design's increase was more subtle, i think that would be a considerable upgrade...
as i think the increase is too gaudy & exaggerated.

Mrs. Gang is going to give you something with a "twist" always ..that is her brochure appeal. She is getting tons of work riding the wave of Aqua Tower in Chicago and her High Line work in NYC. The developer is playing a name recognition game with asking for this designer to do her thing. Staid was never the plan clearly.

cca

I agree this is the wrong design for the site. It's just too weird. I hope the BCDC rejects it.

I dunno, I really think the design ties Kenmore to BU rather well. It's a good bold entry point to either place. It's a good addition to the one-off unique tall buildings west and south of the Back Bay.

IMHO It's great to see an innovative, well designed building proposed for Kenmore Square instead of a boring brick building with a derivative design and horrible street presence like the one in Germany.

Back