One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

This building kinda sucks so i'm sure no one will mind if i grind the axles, and tired bones of one Wayne Gretzky for a moment; let's get it out in the open;

re; TruthAboutGretz.org

Check Gretzky's +/- after age 30. i believe he was a minus 10.

i'll take a line of 5 of any of the following; 5 Howe's, Jagr's, Mario's, Orr's, Beleveau's, Hull's, Messier's, Fedorov's, Trottier's, Robinson's, Thornton's, Neely's, Potvin's, Forsberg's, Yzerman's, or Harvey's

vs crowd fave; 5 (overrated as phuckk after age 30), skin & bones Gretzky's:

Brother, that'd be one ugly, one-sided affair. :)

tommorow's lesson; the Third Goal Rule.

You pick the strangest axes to grind, but I'll play along.

Reduction in crosswalk distances improves ped safety.

Breaking up large contiguous stretches of asphalt where autos speed and swerve increases ped safety.

Fine-grained roadway features like shorter straightaways and shorter distance between intersections and traffic control elements slow cars down, increasing ped safety.

I am sorry you consider pedestrian safety an "ax to grind"

The biggest component to pedestrian danger is exposure to autos. This is magnified at intersection where autos take a variety of paths that conflict with ped paths (ie, left and right turns).

Lets look at a ped walking east from the Citizens Bank.

Today they cross an unsignalized 30-foot crosswalk to an island. Pedestrian delay is 0, but there is a risk of collision. However, it is a low traffic turn.

Peds then have a 72 foot crosswalk (including island) towards where the Unos is/was. This is signalized and there are no turning conflicts. There is ped delay but it is safe outside of someone running the light.

Finally, peds have a 62-foot crosswalk towards the McDonalds. Like the previous one, it is signalized. Apparently right turn on red is not prohibited, but due to the distance between the stop bar and comm ave, it is rare for someone to do so. Regardless, a sign should be posted. Without the sign, that is 2 lanes of turn exposure.

In total, a ped crossed 8 lanes of traffic, of which 1 is unsignalized, and 2 have the potential for unsafe right on red.

Under the proposal, a ped would first have to go north to an island, crossing two lanes. This is signalized, but the potential exists for both lanes to be allowed a right turn on red.

The ped then has to stop and wait for a new signal to cross two more lanes. This is signalized as well, but vehicles are making a left turn. This is the kind of situation where peds ignore their signal because they cannot see what the drivers have and do not understand the turning movement.

Peds then can choose of of two paths. They can go south to the Unos corner crossing 3 lanes, and then across to mcdonalds crossing another 3. Youll note the location with the questionable right turns on red is not altered.

OR they can go straight to a traffic island across one turn lane, and then south across 4 lanes. As they go south towards Mcdonalds, they compete for the same signal as two right turn lanes, creating a turn conflict.

In option 1, a ped crossed 10 lanes of traffic, all signalized, of which 4 have the potential for unsafe right on red.

In option 2, a ped crosses 9 lanes of traffic, all signalized, of which 2 have the potential for unsafe right on red, and 2 have a turn conflict.

Both are a downgrade from existing conditions.

This is not a "fine-grained roadway," it is a plan that says it is for pedestrians when it is not.

It is an improvement for bikes, no argument there.

He lost me at "the imminent arrival of autonomous cars", and then he really lost me "vacuum-type hyperloops"

Evidently your'e not alone. I agree with you regarding the misuse of the word "imminent".

But they will be here around 2030 in the inner cities.

I know change is uncomfortable, but it is inevitable.

Individually driven combustion engine vehicles are urban cholestorol blobs. Money talks. Technology, efficiency and market competition between cities will dictate urban planning stents.

The dawdlers will lose. None of us are posting from our Remington typewriters.

Evidently your'e not alone. I agree with you regarding the misuse of the word "imminent".

Individually driven combustion engine vehicles are urban cholestorol blobs. Money talks. Technology, efficiency and market competition between cities will dictate urban planning stents.

FWIW, the point of the article (and of Scenario Planning) is that we don't know what kind of near and medium-future autonomy has in cities. It may not have any, or it may come to dominate the scene more quickly than we expect. What we know is that particularly for delivery, there's a big market for autonomy. We don't want to be caught flat-footed.

With that said, my own two cents: autonomous cars in 2030 are most likely toys for the rich that the rest of us resent like hell. Autonomy as a dominant presence will be on sidewalks for companies like Amazon, FedEx and Grubhub, and there might be call for separated "robot lanes" by then to separate them from pedestrians.

The pragmatist/skeptic in me still feels that the "we want to help solve your traffic problem" narrative from these developers is part-real / part-spin. The spin being that the real story is they feel they need to offset their tower slightly from the slightlines of the co-op building to the west of them so that those residents can retain some of their views and therefore be less angry about this development. This, to me, seems like pre-emptive effort to avoid protesting abutters.

(and I don't necessarily mean this as a complaint - just an observation).

^ I'd bet on this assessment a lot more quickly than the developer's proposed realignment of Comm Ave.

Won't everyone be surprised when 2030 rolls around and electrified heavy rail is still the most effective way of moving people around in urban environments? Hopefully we won't still have to be whining about chronic under-investment at that point because historically all this speculation in technology that will imminently make what we have obsolete is just an excuse to not properly invest in existing infrastructure.

The pragmatist/skeptic in me still feels that the "we want to help solve your traffic problem" narrative from these developers is part-real / part-spin. The spin being that the real story is they feel they need to offset their tower slightly from the slightlines of the co-op building to the west of them so that those residents can retain some of their views and therefore be less angry about this development. This, to me, seems like pre-emptive effort to avoid protesting abutters.

(and I don't necessarily mean this as a complaint - just an observation).

Bingo. They also want a PDA to avoid any zoning issues so the city will give them Comm Ave to let that happen.

BU said:
“Our architects, Roger Ferris + Partners, have designed a building that really holds the corner, extending that masonry six-story street wall that you see prevalent across the square,” Provost says. “But the top of the building was focused on a lot, so it does not extend that street wall up to the seventh and eighth floors, and so it was different and unique.”

what an abomination.

M6Lfgbd.png

I hate this. Commonwealth Avenue is the main east-west axis of the city, both visually and historically. Breaking it up like this creates a gerrymandered hodgepodge, very disruptive to the fabric of the city. Also it would not work well for traffic.

The proposed tower itself reminds me of the urban renewal white elephants plopped down in Government Center in the 1960's. It sticks out like a sore thumb into the Comm Ave visual corridor axis and will be seen along Comm Ave from the west for miles.

Let's keep the historical street grid and put up something decent.

Won't everyone be surprised when 2030 rolls around and electrified heavy rail is still the most effective way of moving people around in urban environments? Hopefully we won't still have to be whining about chronic under-investment at that point because historically all this speculation in technology that will imminently make what we have obsolete is just an excuse to not properly invest in existing infrastructure.

Bingo. Same with high speed rail vs hyperloop etc. We have high speed trains that work very well, for longer distances we have air travel. Hyperloop is an insanely stupid idea with enormous challenges that make it economically impossible. Stop wasting time and money on far flung stupid ideas and focus on mastering what we have... thats proven. The US doesnt even have a true hsr system, start there. Also Japan and China are creating some very good maglev trains which are even faster and also proven.

Last edited:

Back