One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

I might be in the minority here, but I think the redo works, and I’m into the red bracings and highlights - if they end up executed well in a way I’ve seen in some great Hong Kong towers. I think this will be differentiated from Exchange Place in that it will appear to have sharp lines and less opaque glass, whereas Exchange Place has those early 80s curved edges and darkly-opaque glass.

Yea Im in the same boat. If nothing else Id love to see this and One Devonshire reclad. I could live with just those (downtown). One Devonshire is a Superturd. The people saying to reclad One Boston Place are crazy imo.... you cant reclad the famous Thomas Kincaid painting, that would be a sin.
boscel7.jpg

I might be in the minority here, but I think the redo works, and I’m into the red bracings and highlights - if they end up executed well in a way I’ve seen in some great Hong Kong towers. I think this will be differentiated from Exchange Place in that it will appear to have sharp lines and less opaque glass, whereas Exchange Place has those early 80s curved edges and darkly-opaque glass.

I feel the same way. This is a massive upgrade over the ugly facade the building currently has. These types of facades do not hold up well over long periods of time. Glass on the other hand does.

Scaffolding is all going up on the garage on Oliver street, and the lanes have been shifted. Things are starting.

to those saying it's gonna be too much glass Downtown;

wtf? the whole damn Downtown & Waterfront is brick, rock & hideous, aged out concrete. Thank Christ we got some badly needed glass at Winthrop & Post Office Sq, TD Garden and MT.

Anyways, the garage is closed now and all of the businesses in the ground level on Oliver Street have closed down.

Yea Im in the same boat. If nothing else Id love to see this and One Devonshire reclad. I could live with just those (downtown). One Devonshire is a Superturd. The people saying to reclad One Boston Place are crazy imo.... you cant reclad the famous Thomas Kincaid painting, that would be a sin.

I can see someone eventually buying 1 Boston Place and filling in the top part. It'd be expensive, but there's probably 5-10 floors worth of unused height there.

I think they've begun adding stuff on the top few floors that would eventually hold the glass panes.

I can see someone eventually buying 1 Boston Place and filling in the top part. It'd be expensive, but there's probably 5-10 floors worth of unused height there.

Is that the building with the ugly square box on top of it? I wish they'd make some type of crown or screen to cover that. Probably my most hated tower in Boston.

I don't hate One Boston Place, I kind of like the visible X bracings, reminds me of the John Hancock Center in Chicago (although not as nice).

One Federal and it's near-clone One Beacon are my two least-favorites.

One Boston is fine as is. It looks powerful, a strong contrast to the anemic-looking weaklings found here in abundance.

I don't hate One Boston Place, I kind of like the visible X bracings, reminds me of the John Hancock Center in Chicago (although not as nice).

hearty agreement with both points. i've made the comparision before (and maybe you have, too?) b/w one boston and the hancock center. also think it looks like darth vader's personal office-building.

one federal and one beacon are absolutely loathesome. MT did a lot to draw away focus from those two monuments to non-creative thought and winthrop and congress street will also help from certain angles, but... man i'd love for either or both to be found to be structurally unsafe b/c that's the only way they'll get torn down. either of them would be the ugliest building in hartford or louisville. to call them "ugly" is an insult to ugly buildings.

Agreed. I actually would go as far as to say I like 1BP. Far more offensive examples abound in the area. 1 Beacon, One Federal, The Devonshire, and One P.O. Square are indisputably uglier as far as I'm concerned. I think there are a few others that you could easily make the argument against as well.

One Boston Place is our Seagrams Building, spare, austere, and purposeful. It’s a brilliant backdrop for the Old State House, as countless photographers will tell you. Pietro Belluschi was a master architect, and this is his best work in town.

Huh, wasn't familar with Pietro Belluschi. The Darth Vader associations with One Boston Place are funny because I always thought his cathedral in San Francisco looks very "Sith". Given that it was built in 1971, Belluschi's work very well could have played a role in inspiring the architecture of Star Wars, as a lot of other Bay Area locations notably did.

Menino and Flynn actually did us worse than White's garbage towers.
That takes effort.
Love our Seagrams of Boston Tower. Just fix the crown w/ some type
of ornamental ring to clean up the awful geometry up top.

Back