One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

Not trying to get off topic, but I was told that the A-380 doesn't come here because it's too big!!

Used to be the case when it first was flying --No longer is that true

Massport just finished redoing 3 Gates in term E that are designed to A-380 specs including 2 level boarding

Haven't taken one yet -- looking forward to an A-380 experience to go with my B787 flight

There are several A-380 flying to Logan regularly and will be more starting next year with Lufthansa daily from Munich

currently BA operates daily service to Heathrow with as they say direct boarding from their new lounge
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/destinations/boston/travel-guide/boston-lounge
Direct boarding on to the A380
The Boston lounge development reflects the style and elegance of our flagship lounges at London Heathrow Terminal 5, with areas to relax and unwind, or refresh and work....
Boston is the only lounge on the network offering direct boarding from the lounge on to the A380 via new boarding gates, meaning there’s no lengthy walk and you can spend a little more time in the lounge before your flight.

Emirates is flying the A380 to BOS from Dubail during the summer peak season
The Emirates A380 to Boston will operate until 30 September 2019 and will then resume on 1 December 2019 to 31 January 2020. Emirates flight EK 237 leaves Dubai at 0815hrs and lands in Boston at 1350hrs. EK 238 departs Boston at 2310hrs and arrives in Dubai at 1925hrs the next day.

Its pretty crazy to think the a380 is already outdated, not selling, and going to be replaced quicker than anyone would have thought only a decade ago. Theyre already being put in the graveyard due to one word... economics. Its a million times more appealing for airlines to fly smaller (full) twinjets.. further, than larger jets with 4 engines the same distance that may or may not fill up. Once the etops regulations changed twinjets immediately became the ONLY way of the future. The 777x/a350 are already replacing the a380s and 747s. Even as successful as the legendary 747 has been the -8 flopped and already have an end of manufacture date. With composites and ESPECIALLY geared turbofans, along with etops its over... Enjoy em while you can, because jumbos are going the way of the concorde.

Jeebus , the moment Whighlander saw Jahvon’s post, this thread galloped out of the barn.

Here,

The smaller crane

@moransphotography, IG

This building really is front and center.

Concrete pumper at the base:

VbC5zDf.jpg

uyQ5nN5.jpg

3veZrKw.jpg

5hVufhl.jpg

7WykXm1.jpg

Someone said that these cranes wre common in NYC, and sure enough this crane comes from New Jersey:

LuzvnRq.jpg

Weird they had to haul a crane up from NJ? Maybe all the local ones are in use?

Weird they had to haul a crane up from NJ? Maybe all the local ones are in use?

As others suggested upthread, this appears to be a different style crane - one that's not prevalent in Boston, but is in NYC...

My guess is that, given the adjacent roof structures on this building, they could not achieve the range of crane swing needed with the counterboom/weights protruding behind the cab...thus had to go with this style crane, necessitating the "import"

I would also guess that the tight spacing among tall structures in NYC are what make this style more prevalent there.

(EDIT: also, in this case, lack of a more substantial crane base/attachment points might have precluded simply going higher with the crane stem to clear the roof structures...therefore making it more economical to use this low profile crane)

As others suggested upthread, this appears to be a different style crane - one that's not prevalent in Boston, but is in NYC...

My guess is that, given the adjacent roof structures on this building, they could not achieve the range of crane swing needed with the counterboom/weights protruding behind the cab...thus had to go with this style crane, necessitating the "import"

I would also guess that the tight spacing among tall structures in NYC are what make this style more prevalent there.

(EDIT: also, in this case, lack of a more substantial crane base/attachment points might have precluded simply going higher with the crane stem to clear the roof structures...therefore making it more economical to use this low profile crane)

I figured its because the building is already cladded a crane cant be anchored to the side of the building and its exposed floors and its already topped out/completed with a roof so it cant sit on top of the core either so they used a crane which doesnt need to be.

How did they get that up there? Temporary derricks? Or a REALLY big mobile crane? Or a chopper?

^^^ Looks like some kind of derrick. Two photos of the device up thread item #223

Some kind of staging going up:

s57nKuH.jpg

OIqv2yS.jpg

There is a sampler hiding up on the garage, though it isn't easy to get any sort of angle on it:

V1HMBT5.jpg

As others have pointed out, this building has always been a background building/blended into the skyline. Now, with the crane, I've noticed all the different vantages this building is in. There's an especially good shot of the cranes at Hub on Causeway and this, and the soon to be taller crane at Garden Garage Tower and possibly even One Congress/State St HQ's future crane from 93 south.

As others have pointed out, this building has always been a background building/blended into the skyline. Now, with the crane, I've noticed all the different vantages this building is in. There's an especially good shot of the cranes at Hub on Causeway and this, and the soon to be taller crane at Garden Garage Tower and possibly even One Congress/State St HQ's future crane from 93 south.

I'm afraid when it's completed, it'll still be a background building

http://www.onepostofficesq.com/new-facade/

Much better than what was there. Theres nothing wrong with backround buildings. Theyre actually a good thing. Having good background buildings is what allows the iconic buildings room to do their thing. When everything is fighting to be the star of the show you get Sheikh Zayed Blvd.

Last edited:

Back