One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

Again though just like with SST the VAST majority of people will not see the tower from that view.

Something like this is what people will see.

Im not saying its better or worse, just realistic.

the red bracing and accents coupled with the glass wall make this building very frankfurt-ish. it wouldn't be a standout on that city's skyline, but it would absolutely fit in perfectly.

I very much like how this re-clad is turning out! I know quite a few people won't agree with me, but I wish something similar could happen at One Boston Place and the Prudential Center. Those are my two least favorite buildings on the Boston skyline, although both have pretty good street level activations. I'm hoping the Prudential Skywalk upgrade somehow removes that 2 story hat, but I don't want to derail this thread. I think One Post Office Square will be a fine addition to the skyline and street. I personally love the red accents. Reminds me of a few buildings in London and New York.

I know quite a few people won't agree with me, but I wish something similar could happen at One Boston Place and the Prudential Center.

I'd be devastated if they changed either of these buildings. The Pru is an icon, and 1 Boston Place is like our version of Chicago's John Hancock Building, dark and brooding (not to mention a PRESENCE from the North). I love both of these buildings as they are.

Plus, you take off the 2 story hat and the Pru might not even crack 700' anymore. That would be asinine. It's the tower's defining feature!

To me, it makes the building look a lot shorter. Talk about truly terrible proportions. They should have at least changed the top to like, a triangular crown or something. It would kind of play off 2 International Place. Instead, they took away the 1 good thing about the tower (cantilevers) so it's really hard to get excited about this.

It looks shorter/bulkier because it's increasing from from 853K SF to 1.1M SF.

I'd be devastated if they changed either of these buildings. The Pru is an icon, and 1 Boston Place is like our version of Chicago's John Hancock Building, dark and brooding (not to mention a PRESENCE from the North). I love both of these buildings as they are.

Plus, you take off the 2 story hat and the Pru might not even crack 700' anymore. That would be asinine. It's the tower's defining feature!

an enthusiastic YES to all of that -- particularly the fakakta notion of getting rid of the pru's hat/crown! it's not as pretty as the chrysler building (and plenty others), but the pru sillhouette is boston's most distinctive and recognizable skyscraper both nationally and worldwide. JHT is a far better and more groundbreaking building, but more people identify boston with the pru and vice versa.

Last edited:
Counterpoint - Vast improvement. Always appreciated 1PO, but won't miss the old version at all.

It looks shorter/bulkier because it's increasing from from 853K SF to 1.1M SF.

I'd imagine the majority of that square footage is going to the new wing at the site of the garage, no? Or is that counted as a separate building?

I very much like how this re-clad is turning out! I know quite a few people won't agree with me, but I wish something similar could happen at One Boston Place and the Prudential Center. Those are my two least favorite buildings on the Boston skyline, although both have pretty good street level activations. I'm hoping the Prudential Skywalk upgrade somehow removes that 2 story hat, but I don't want to derail this thread. I think One Post Office Square will be a fine addition to the skyline and street. I personally love the red accents. Reminds me of a few buildings in London and New York.
Yikes! While I'm kind of neutral about OBP, the Pru is spectacular, and only needs a power wash. Otherwise, nobody better entertain even the slightest notion of re-cladding or removing the hat.

Yikes! While I'm kind of neutral about OBP, the Pru is spectacular, and only needs a power wash. Otherwise, nobody better entertain even the slightest notion of re-cladding or removing the hat.
Don't bet that the Pru only needs a power wash. I'd hazard a wager that if you power washed that 50+ year old facade you'd punch holes in it (in a few places).

I believe the facade system is past design life at this point (air pollution corrodes the system).

To be clear, I wasn't advocating for removing the hat, but I wouldn't mind if they reclad it so it didn't have the overhang. To each their own, but I just find it very blocky, dated, and not very aesthetically pleasing. (Just my opinion.) Now don't go all crazy, but this image was from a competition several years ago. It's not my cup of tea, but they did rethink the top! I actually think the current glazing is fine. It's just the blocky top with all those antennas that bother me. :)

Prudential.jpg

Last edited:
Moderators can move this to the Prudential thread. I really didn't mean to derail the One Post Office topic.

Ha, love it. I was waiting for someone to post that Pru rendering. I said years ago that it looks like something out of a Terry Gilliam movie.

I think it's germaine to the discussion.

That Pru rendering is hideous.

The Pru as is is kinda of ugly but no one notices/cares because its such an icon.

Back