One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

Lovin the reclad except for the freakin time it's taking to finish!

OK, time to put this Neverending Story Of A Renovation into some context:

Burnham Building (Filene's) Renovation/Millennium Tower Development: 38 MONTHS

May 2013 (work resumed in Filene's pit)--July 2016 (residential move-in at MTower)

One PO Square Renovation: 37 MONTHS & COUNTING

March 2019 (scaffolding went up, as noted here upthread)-Today

THUS: unless something astonishing happens this summer that causes this project to rapidly accelerate, it will end up being significantly longer than the most celebrated/famous major Downtown tower project of the past decade. I mean, COVID and all, but still!

OK, time to put this Neverending Story Of A Renovation into some context:

Burnham Building (Filene's) Renovation/Millennium Tower Development: 38 MONTHS

May 2013 (work resumed in Filene's pit)--July 2016 (residential move-in at MTower)

One PO Square Renovation: 37 MONTHS & COUNTING

March 2019 (scaffolding went up, as noted here upthread)-Today

THUS: unless something astonishing happens this summer that causes this project to rapidly accelerate, it will end up being significantly longer than the most celebrated/famous major Downtown tower project of the past decade. I mean, COVID and all, but still!

Holy shit I didnt even realize it was THAT long. 2019… holy crap. I figured it was mid 2020 or something.

You guys still don’t seem to taking into account the fact that there were tenants in place throughout this project, that tenant plans for moving/staying change, and that the final section of the building was only recently made available for continuing the project when the last tenant vacated. It has nothing to do with the owner or contractor.

You guys still don’t seem to taking into account the fact that there were tenants in place throughout this project, that tenant plans for moving/staying change, and that the final section of the building was only recently made available for continuing the project when the last tenant vacated. It has nothing to do with the owner or contractor.

Useful context--but the fact is that the project PNF itself allots for a 30-month construction timeline: they projected it would run from June 2018-December 2020. (Table 4, P. 12 of the PNF on BPDA website).

Again, COVID and all--but the fact is, if this project still isn't wrapped up by Labor Day, then it will have overrun the projected construction timeline by a year.

Patience.

Notre Dame de Paris took 182 years to build (1163-1345). I'm sure much of the oak that was cut to create the original le foret, (the forest) that supported the roof weren't even seedlings when the work began. The replacement oak for le foret was cut last year, from tress that were at least 150 years old. One cut tree was over 250 years old, and growing before the French Revolution.

Patience.

Notre Dame de Paris took 182 years to build (1163-1345). I'm sure much of the oak that was cut to create the original le foret, (the forest) that supported the roof weren't even seedlings when the work began. The replacement oak for le foret was cut last year, from tress that were at least 150 years old. One cut tree was over 250 years old, and growing before the French Revolution.

Great comparison! :ROFLMAO:

Lots of progress all of a sudden. They must have moved tenants into the finished floors so they can finally clear out the rest of the old facade.

Why is this taking so long? It's looked the same for awhile now...painful!

Why is this taking so long? It's looked the same for awhile now...painful!

Nah it's definitely going. You can see they're finally stripping off the old cladding and building out the corners. In my first pic you can see that neat little view of 2 IP starting to partially disappear behind the new corner.

Back